Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
DiagonalRedLine

Midlands Regional Discussion

Recommended Posts

That "storm" that was over Northampton/Milton Keynes is now going opposite direction, heading for London, what's going on with the weather...? It was moving north' ish, now south' ish, how's this possible? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

A clear sign of a major storm developing its own  circulation system. I saw the same effect in the Brum storm in July 2014 ( I think!)..

Fascinating stuff. I noticed something similar at around the same time - i.e. that the clouds seemed to be moving in the 'wrong' direction.

Incidentally, now that darkness has fallen I can see that the sky to our SE is flickering quite frequently - surely the Milton Keynes storm is too far away to be spotted here?

Bish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Staffordshire said:

That cell over Aldridge way is now heading north and dying out as it does so. Really not sure why this has happened today, extremely frustrating and disappointing. Given up for the day.

I was stood right underneath that cell for about three hours in the thunder and lightning attempting to keep the floodwater out of the house. In all my years of weather watching this was the heaviest most prolonged downpour I can remember. Fortunately it moved away just in time as the water was within 2cm or so of getting inside, but there are numerous reports of less lucky persons homes being flooded in the area. Hopefully a dry night will allow the flooding around the house and in the garden to completely subside and a dry day tomorrow will give the chance to clear up. Spectacular but scary too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone...

Just watched BBC1 Midlands news at 10:30.

It showed the widespread flooding of homes, roads and railway lines in and around the Bham area.

Many areas were under deep water earlier.

They also spoke of 60mms of rain falling in an hour in Edgbaston. and Richard H. on the main  weather forecast stated that some areas around B'ham have had 4 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.

 It seems we got off reasonably lightly here and my rate of rainfall, which I thought was high (23mms in half an hour in the end) was only what some experienced for an hour or more..

Truly remarkable when one considers that at 15:00 there was no sign of a shower and by 18:30 it was pretty well all over!!!. :gathering::oops::bomb:  . 

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Hi everyone...

Just watched BBC1 Midlands news at 10:30.

It showed the widespread flooding of homes, roads and railway lines in and around the Bham area.

Many areas were under deep water earlier.

They also spoke of 60mms of rain falling in an hour in Edgbaston. and Richard H. on the main  weather forecast stated that some areas around B'ham have had 4 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.

 It seems we got off reasonably lightly here and my rate of rainfall, which I thought was high (23mms in half an hour in the end) was only what some experienced for an hour or more..

Truly remarkable when one considers that at 15:00 there was no sign of a shower and by 18:30 it was pretty well all over!!!. :gathering::oops::bomb:  . 

MIA

Thunderstorms for you. Once the cap is broken - Boom! Storms shoot up incredibly rapidly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dave Bullock said:

I was stood right underneath that cell for about three hours in the thunder and lightning attempting to keep the floodwater out of the house. In all my years of weather watching this was the heaviest most prolonged downpour I can remember. Fortunately it moved away just in time as the water was within 2cm or so of getting inside, but there are numerous reports of less lucky persons homes being flooded in the area. Hopefully a dry night will allow the flooding around the house and in the garden to completely subside and a dry day tomorrow will give the chance to clear up. Spectacular but scary too.

Dave ...

I too was similarly lucky  (probably 2 cms) , but several houses around here were not so lucky. Many hundreds in B'ham have been flooded.

It really was remarkable for the rate at which it came down, Last nights storms were also pretty unusual in that the lightning was superb, but the rain was not particularly heavy. 

 I suppose that if we had both at the same time we would have had to call it Brum Mk2.

MIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

horrid morning, thick sea mist, this location very prone to it

Horrible stuff. Probably take hours to shift spoiling the day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

Horrible stuff. Probably take hours to shift spoiling the day

bbc got it clearing 5pm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

bbc got it clearing 5pm

Another glorious day then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful morning in Stoke! Clear blue skies and unbroken hot sunshine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overcast grey skies here, no storms or even any rain yesterday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Beautiful morning in Stoke! Clear blue skies and unbroken hot sunshine.

Battleship-grey skies here, and not even a hint of the sun making an appearance so far. Fascinating how conditions can vary so much across our little part of the world.

Bish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Battleship-grey skies here, and not even a hint of the sun making an appearance so far. Fascinating how conditions can vary so much across our little part of the world.

Bish

It is. I assumed everywhere was similar until I read the posts in here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chances of anything today, to make up for the complete lack of any storms or rain yesterday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grey skies here this morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

horrid morning, thick sea mist, this location very prone to it

What a difference 40 miles make.Glourious Blue skies and warm Sunshine in South Cheshire.

Also Missed all the storm activity yesterday had about 10 Minutes of Rain which struggled to even wet the ground.

C.S 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sun breaking through now. Still grey skies but brighter!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Storme said:

Sun breaking through now. Still grey skies but brighter!

That's a promising sign for the rest of us. It's still grey here, but looking at the radar the northern extent of the cloud mass is finally starting to thin and fragment.

Bish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

That's a promising sign for the rest of us. It's still grey here, but looking at the radar the northern extent of the cloud mass is finally starting to thin and fragment.

Bish

Agreed, At this rate it'll be 3pm though

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/satellite.php?mode=animation-visible-france&region=uk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day started off hazy sunshine,then cloud came in,then the fog came which is backwards.

Still can`t get get over yesterday morning,its washed part of the road away,yet either side they had little rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad news about the man who died in the Walsall flash flooding yesterday. Condolences to his family. :(

Still cloudy here in N Worcs, but it's pretty bright now. Looking at the radar, I'd hope to see some breaks appearing in the next hour or so. 18.2 °C but feeling fairly warm due to the humidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cloud burning off here with blue sky's showing above now and feeling warm with temp currently 21.5c.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×