Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Yep, falling snow in Telford TF3 as well - proper decent flakes too, not tiny ones. Just drifting about in the breeze, not enough to settle by a long way, but distinctly proper snowflakes!

Editing 22 minutes later to say it's not stopped, it's got heavier and I think it is considering settling...!

Edited by BleakMidwinter
  • Like 1

Posted

A few flakes drifting around in the air here. Not actually our first of the winter, we've had one or two flurries already. One at the end of November and some very early last week.

Looking ahead to the next week, at this point in time, there is some interest but nothing to get hopes up about yet. Possibilities are always there though so don't want to comment too much right now.

On a personal preference, I work on the Metro and I'm on night shifts next week so could really do without frozen points, icy overhead wires etc.

During the 'Beast from the East' last March, I had some of the hardest shifts I've ever worked. Our passengers were so impressed that we kept the trams running but they never knew just how much stress and effort made it possible.

I have a week off in two weeks time...it can snow then thank you!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Not great, thicknesses support snow, but need winds NW'ly, not WNW'ly, this chart shows snow coming from cheshire Gap through Stockport down through Derbyshire, missing the north midlands

gfs-0-102.png?6

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Nothing here yet   radar looks quite good though th the south west of us  hopefully it will  come our way 

Seriously, there's so few of them you probably haven't noticed. Not really worth looking out for in all honesty. I only noticed as I was letting the cat in. If that heavier precipitation gets here, I suspect it'll be rain by then sadly. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Gord said:

Seriously, there's so few of them you probably haven't noticed. Not really worth looking out for in all honesty. I only noticed as I was letting the cat in. If that heavier precipitation gets here, I suspect it'll be rain by then sadly. 

Sorry Gord  should have said at work in Wolves centre   nothing here.    didnt expect anything today anyway  .

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Ours has stopped now, but that was a good solid 45 minutes of very pretty fluffy snowflakes! No settling, but just really lovely and wintry and exciting! 

It seems Telford does well out of Cheshire Gap streamers - our astonishing Fri Dc 8th 2017 was one of those!

Posted
7 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Nothing here so far.

No not alot happening   this evening looks a little interesting  though  a few heavy snow symbols popping up on the amazingly accurate met office 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

No not alot happening   this evening looks a little interesting  though  a few heavy snow symbols popping up on the amazingly accurate met office 

Yh seem it will be snow also. I reckon around 3pm for us

Posted
12 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Any chance for snow in the East Midlands ? Leicestershire? My house? 

Yup forecast between 7pm and 3am but not sure it will defo happen!!

Posted
Just now, shaky said:

Yup forecast between 7pm and 3am but not sure it will defo happen!!

I see the various apps show snow but previous experience these seem to be not that accurate so always nice to check in with the clever folk on here.

Best nip to Tesco and stock up ... 

Posted

Hi res models show a period of snow across the region  Hirlam. Arpege etc  from this evening  we shall see.   of course the amounts are going to be way out  but the areas to see snow might not be. 

image.thumb.png.f543df9727e0c3073c4d3d464aee15c9.pngimage.thumb.png.9225e3c20a6c5039cfbd7afb8e6eb397.png

Posted

Latest high resolution 10km run has snow widely and heavy aswell from 6pm till 3 am!!!seems as though a band of even heavier precipitation forms to the south west of us later on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Doesn't look like METO are going for it tonight. Only warning is for up north. Temps hovering around the 2c or 3c area for much of midlands, so might just be on the wrong side of marginal for most.

Posted
11 minutes ago, kmanmx said:

Doesn't look like METO are going for it tonight. Only warning is for up north. Temps hovering around the 2c or 3c area for much of midlands, so might just be on the wrong side of marginal for most.

Yeh cant see much but its all down to the intensity!!currently 3 with dew point -1!!

Posted
1 minute ago, shaky said:

Yeh cant see much but its all down to the intensity!!currently 3 with dew point -1!!

As long as DP remains under zero and T at 3 or below it's going to be snow or at least sleet. I can't see though the DP remaining below zero.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

As long as DP remains under zero and T at 3 or below it's going to be snow or at least sleet. I can't see though the DP remaining below zero.

There is meant to be a slice of lower dew points coming in later this evening from the south of england!!temps should fall away to about 1 degrees aswell!!