Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

4 days with thunder heard this month so far ( though no notable storms, or even any overhead  ) equals the annual totals in 2017 and 2018. Perhaps the dearth of thunder is finally over.

Posted
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

68 mm yesterday 14mm overnight the other week we had 226mm very wet summer... 

I'm assuming your total is midnight to midnight, Will, in which case you had about twice as much yesterday as we did down here at the southern end of the Peak District, also about twice as much as Buxton.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Terminal Moraine said:

I'm assuming your total is midnight to midnight, Will, in which case you had about twice as much yesterday as we did down here at the southern end of the Peak District, also about twice as much as Buxton.

Indeed.... can’t believe how wet it’s been... hopefully some much needed drier weather sometime soon... ☀️☀️☀️

Posted
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Indeed.... can’t believe how wet it’s been... hopefully some much needed drier weather sometime soon... ☀️☀️☀️

Also, a good job the emergency services managed to get the level of  Toddbrooke reservoir well down before that lot came.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

68 mm yesterday 14mm overnight the other week we had 226mm very wet summer... 

Got to getting on to record breaking amounts of rain. It’s been an awful summer.

Posted
33 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Got to getting on to record breaking amounts of rain. It’s been an awful summer.

I would think perhaps in the Glossop/ Whaley Bridge area the record summer rainfall could be under threat, if it hasn't already been broken, but it would take a very wet August to break the summer record further south in the Peak. Buxton's record is 549.6 mm in 1879 so they would need 205.4 mm in August to beat that. Here the record, since 1977, is 423.4mm in 2004 and August would need 143.9 mm for that record to fall.

So far this month Buxton has recorded 54.3 mm and I've recorded 35.8 mm ( both up to 0900 today ) so quite a long way to go.  I don't know how other areas of Derbyshire and Staffordshire are faring, perhaps someone else could come up with some figures?

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, Terminal Moraine said:

I would think perhaps in the Glossop/ Whaley Bridge area the record summer rainfall could be under threat, if it hasn't already been broken, but it would take a very wet August to break the summer record further south in the Peak. Buxton's record is 549.6 mm in 1879 so they would need 205.4 mm in August to beat that. Here the record, since 1977, is 423.4mm in 2004 and August would need 143.9 mm for that record to fall.

So far this month Buxton has recorded 54.3 mm and I've recorded 35.8 mm ( both up to 0900 today ) so quite a long way to go.  I don't know how other areas of Derbyshire and Staffordshire are faring, perhaps someone else could come up with some figures?

I don’t have any figures for where I am as my station isn’t working. I just cannot ever remember seeing a summer as wet or miserable as this one, and the Met Office produced a graphic showing that Staffordshire and Derbyshire had already received more than the summer long term average by the end of July.

Posted
6 hours ago, Terminal Moraine said:

I would think perhaps in the Glossop/ Whaley Bridge area the record summer rainfall could be under threat, if it hasn't already been broken, but it would take a very wet August to break the summer record further south in the Peak.

As an addition to the above, Birchinlee, the temporary village built to house the workers constructing the Derwent resevoir and a few miles to the east of Glossop, recorded 600.4 mm of rain in the summer of 1956. This summer was the wettest of the 20th century at Buxton with 509.4 mm. I would imagine if anyone with a rain gauge in the Glossop/Whaley Bridge area records much in excess of 600 mm this summer it's likely to be a good contender for the wettest on record in that area, at least as far back as 1900.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Showers blowing through here but not stopping me going out with the mutts, some nice sunny spells currently.

IMG_20190811_112343.thumb.jpg.f1e2bef627c97815cf8c2830f1292b55.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

A definite wind convergence across the south midlands hence the line of storms and rain we have had thunder and lightning here in Evesham

ukwind.png

Posted

Yet more showers this evening.

Euro4’s take on Wednesday’s system. Heaviest rain for the North Midlands once again.

105779C8-8297-4306-8CD9-79C5E4387F25.jpeg

Posted
On 11/08/2019 at 17:44, Neil Harris said:

After a 15 minute deluge at 11am it's been a very nice summers day here. Some lovely spells of sunshine.

Sunny and warm here too, and yet Shefali just before 7pm on Midlands today was wearing a thick Winter coat.

I was still pottering about in the garden at 9pm in a t-shirt because it felt warm.

It's 13°C here outdoors and 23°C indoors.

Edited by 'ColdIsBest'

Posted

Yes another Autumnal feel to today, Light rain has turned moderate with some heavy bursts here just now. Temp currently 12.8c with 4mm rain so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

Hi everyone,  new to this region as we have just moved from Bedfordshire to Kettering. 

Loving it already as the weather here is far more interesting than my home town!  We've had a couple of storms and very heavy downpours since we moved in two weeks ago. 

Currently tipping it down and 15c.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, PurpleButterfly said:

Hi everyone,  new to this region as we have just moved from Bedfordshire to Kettering. 

Loving it already as the weather here is far more interesting than my home town!  We've had a couple of storms and very heavy downpours since we moved in two weeks ago. 

Currently tipping it down and 15c.

Welcome to the Midlands Thread.  I must admit i didnt even realise kettering was in the midlands. ( had to google map it)      

Edited by weirpig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations
3 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Welcome to the Midlands Thread.  I must admit i didnt even realise kettering was in the midlands. ( had to google map it)      

so did I,  I was still posting in the southeast discussion

• Like 1