Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

35.3 mm of rain in the 24 hrs ending 0800 g.m.t  made it the wettest July day here since 2013; and we missed the heaviest of the rain, even in this area let alone further north.

• Like 1

Posted

The 5th wettest July on record here ( since 1977 ) with 127.3 mm of rain but this was a meagre total compared to areas a bit further north in the county. Buxton recorded 216.8 mm and the Cat and Fiddle, 261.4 mm. At Buxton only the Julys of 1939 and 2009 were wetter.

• Like 1

Posted

A rumble of thunder to the south of here at 1355 g.m.t as a brief heavy shower moved away. It looks like most of the activity is in the north west Peak District again though.

Posted

Wettest part of the UK in July relative to local long term average. Add that to the 200%+ of monthly rainfall we saw in June....

We’ve already seen more than the seasonal average rainfall with a month of summer still to go, but I guess I and all those who are flooded are just expecting too much.

5BD145CD-8894-4F60-86AD-0B3F83470D73.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

Nice little cell has popped up and is moving straight at me   weird thing is, if I was just going from the cloud movement, (rather than the radar,)  I'd swear It was going to pass us, as the clouds are moving towards the WNW whilst the radar shows the storm moving NNE'wards

Edited by Ryukai
What is Grammer

Posted
12 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Torrential rain shower over Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. Out of nowhere.

Yep. Another supposedly "dry" day. Sick of forecasters putting overly optimistic forecasts out. They're there to give accurate forecasts, not tell people what they want to hear.

Posted
3 hours ago, davehsug said:

Yep. Another supposedly "dry" day. Sick of forecasters putting overly optimistic forecasts out. They're there to give accurate forecasts, not tell people what they want to hear.

The last few days the forecasts have been for showers in Northern England. The North Midlands quite often seem to get similar conditions to Northern England rather than the rest of the Midlands.

Another torrential downpour in progress.

Posted

Got this Beauty rolling in right now

1560820832_IMG_20190803_2022352701.thumb.jpg.b3c08f9997e34a01375fa93bd3425365.jpg1080867756_IMG_20190803_2023391681.thumb.jpg.2ff35ae7552c6c5b196ad07a8c18ca2f.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
37 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Got this Beauty rolling in right now

1560820832_IMG_20190803_2022352701.thumb.jpg.b3c08f9997e34a01375fa93bd3425365.jpg1080867756_IMG_20190803_2023391681.thumb.jpg.2ff35ae7552c6c5b196ad07a8c18ca2f.jpg

I think that's over South Cheshire at the moment

C.S

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

I think that's over South Cheshire at the moment

C.S

Looks like it from the radar, It's just spitting where I am now, but the front of it was torrential, the gutters looked like streams after just 5 mins

Posted

A rubbish end to the working week lies ahead. Met Office warnings for heavy rain and strong winds as a deep area of low pressure crosses the UK.

247C4DD2-2919-4A3F-AD2E-7AF42CB643AF.jpeg

Posted

Despite the generally unsetttled start to August there's been only 4.2 mm of rain here in the first 6 days and the temperature is running at about 3c above the 30 year mean. Almost all the heavy showers this week have managed to bypass this location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

Absolutely hammering it down, and has been for hours.

It has been bordering torrential rain for the last hour if it Carrie's on like this for several hours there will be some flooding issues of that I am 100% sure.

The rain was that loud it woke me up and I am hard of hearing so that tells you all you need to know about how heavy it is.

Posted

Woke up to some hell of a crunch windows were shut,big thunderstorm`s mixed in last night with torrential rain,that wasn`t forecast 35mm of rain excellent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Woke up to some hell of a crunch windows were shut,big thunderstorm`s mixed in last night with torrential rain,that wasn`t forecast 35mm of rain excellent.

Less than half your rainfall here at 17.4mms.

Still heavy rain fell in bursts of about 1.5 hrs.

No T&L though.

Cumulous gradually increasing now, as is the wind.

Heavy showers later?

I have been out to tie up the outdoor Tomatoes, in view of the strong winds forecast for later today and tomorrow.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Storms here woke me up at around 4am, but nothing spectacular after the initial burst of torrential rain and lightning. Today's actually been an okay day. Not too much rain after the morning stuff had cleared, some decent sunshine and temps in the low 20s. Not as good as yesterday, but far from a disaster. Wind is now gradually ramping up, though it seems like the strongest of it won't be here until tomorrow afternoon. I do have to travel (by rail) tomorrow, but thankfully when I get there I'll be in a nice strong stone building and not a marquee!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hi guys, just out of interest, who had a power failure today, I didn’t even know about it until I’ve seen the ten o’clock news....all was okay here in B’ham & Solihull.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

A little strong, we’ve had some good weather, but I can see what your point is Matt

Tomorrows forecasts for gales are quite exceptional for this time of the year

50mph gust are very possible for central parts of our region come lunchtime tomorrow....hold on to ya tents ? 

726AD4E3-517F-4EEB-B025-B0E5FB871965.thumb.png.ef80e6e50684d78b5d630ed33fe68212.png

Posted
6 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

A little strong, we’ve had some good weather, but I can see what your point is Matt

Tomorrows forecasts for gales are quite exceptional for this time of the year

50mph gust are very possible for central parts of our region come lunchtime tomorrow....hold on to ya tents ? 

726AD4E3-517F-4EEB-B025-B0E5FB871965.thumb.png.ef80e6e50684d78b5d630ed33fe68212.png

I’d say here we’ve maybe had 2 weeks of actual summer like weather stretched out over the whole season. The bad weather has greatly outdone the good. Got to be getting on for record breaking amounts of rainfall. Now we have Autumn gales too boot.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A wet and wild morning out there today with fast moving showers pushing through. Peak of winds should be mid-afternoon going by UKV.