Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Awful couple of days. And people are loving the return to this weather and the rained off festivals and events etc. Couldn't even have our family BBQ today. Mind boggles why people enjoy days like today in high summer.

• Like 1

Posted

I don’t think it’s the sun itself, but it’s the extreme temperatures and high humidity that people don’t like (myself included).

If it was ‘normal’ temperatures, such as the low 20’s, you wouldn’t get half the amount of complaints

It has however been particularly wet over the past 24 hours, especially in areas where the rain hasn’t stopped at all, such as here. Good for the vegetation and keeping any droughts from being a problem however! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Josh Rubio said:

I don’t think it’s the sun itself, but it’s the extreme temperatures and high humidity that people don’t like (myself included).

If it was ‘normal’ temperatures, such as the low 20’s, you wouldn’t get half the amount of complaints

It has however been particularly wet over the past 24 hours, especially in areas where the rain hasn’t stopped at all, such as here. Good for the vegetation and keeping any droughts from being a problem however! 

After the 200%+ of average monthly rainfall last month, I don’t think drought was ever going to be an issue here.

Keep seeing people say the plants need the rain. How much rain do they need?! It’s been a rotten summer. One decent hot spell, which people moaned about.

Posted
7 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

After the 200%+ of average monthly rainfall last month, I don’t think drought was ever going to be an issue here.

Keep seeing people say the plants need the rain. How much rain do they need?! It’s been a rotten summer. One decent hot spell, which people moaned about.

Yes Matt, as you said, apart from a couple of hours yesterday, it's been raining continuously for 48 hours and this for the second time in 2 months. I was just about recovering from the last time, but this will colour my memory of the whole summer. Doesn't look much betterin the coming week, the perfect recipe for more heavy rain, especially so when the winds drop out later this week.

Posted
19 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Yes Matt, as you said, apart from a couple of hours yesterday, it's been raining continuously for 48 hours and this for the second time in 2 months. I was just about recovering from the last time, but this will colour my memory of the whole summer. Doesn't look much betterin the coming week, the perfect recipe for more heavy rain, especially so when the winds drop out later this week.

It’s the 4th time there’s been such an event here since late spring. Makes me laugh when people say the land needs it and talk as if we’ve been having an extreme drought. Maybe be true for some parts of the UK but not for this region! You only have to look at how lush all the vegetation is. What we actually need is useable weather where one can go outside and not get soaked.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Personally it has been a welcome relief this weekend. Sun lovers had all week to fill their boots with some unprecedented heat. I looked back at rainfall and there was a 2 week period here without barely a drop of rain from the 3rd. So to me it just seems like people are asking for too much. Last year skewed a lot of perceptions it seems.

A lot of people would be c*ck a hoop with the inverse type of spell in winter i.e a week of severe cold. 

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Temperatures better for me. I have an autoimmune disease which also causes me not to regulate extremes of temperatures very well. I am better with cold than the recent heat. 

Despite the radar yesterday showing ppn from Belgium area in a stream, today it was really weird and showed it just bubbling up out of Leicester. See pic.

Also, despite the fact we have had terrible rain previously and the River Soar had burst its banks, the brook in our village is almost dry. 

Screenshot_20190728-231850_Rain Alarm Pro.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Long warm sunny spells now this afternoon here, With temp now 20.5c

Posted

Rain just starting here at my location, plenty to come with some heavy bursts looking at the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Looks like good old fashioned showery rain, nothing too heavy, overcast also, so no brightness or sun.

Posted

Heavy rain here just now with a few rumbles of thunder to my East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Turned a bit heavier now, looks a short burst, still zero rumbles. Temp down to 17.6C now.

Posted

Temp down to 16.7C, mod to heavy rain, no thunder, not expecting any now, other than heavy bursts of rain.

Posted

Torrential heavy rain here for past 30 min, the lane is currently like a river.

• Like 1

Posted

Constant rain  been like this for a few hours  no thunder  just rain rain rain  reports of flooding  around many areas  m5 shut  Dudley bowling roof caved in  and rail delays 

Edited by weirpig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Must be some serious flooding around the Birmingham area looking at the radar for the last few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A couple of rumbles of thunder to the east of here around 1230-1240 g.m.t during a heavy shower but all the other showers, some heavy, were rain only.

Posted
On 28/07/2019 at 22:08, CreweCold said:

Personally it has been a welcome relief this weekend. Sun lovers had all week to fill their boots with some unprecedented heat. I looked back at rainfall and there was a 2 week period here without barely a drop of rain from the 3rd. So to me it just seems like people are asking for too much. Last year skewed a lot of perceptions it seems.

A lot of people would be c*ck a hoop with the inverse type of spell in winter i.e a week of severe cold. 

You have got to be having a laugh. People expecting too much? This is the wettest summer I’ve seen. It’s atrocious.

Severe cold in winter is nothing like cold weather in summer. Come on!

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Torrential all afternoon in Birmingham. The system just keeps spinning, though it seems to be further north now. The street lights were on about 4pm it's been that dark!

• Like 1

Posted

Very torrential rain here in Leicester. Its been raining non-stop all day, varying between heavy and light, but I'd love to see how much we've had in the last 24 hours. I wouldn't be surprised if it was near what the NW has had recently! 

Posted

Not very summery this morning - again.