Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

First flashes can be seen now on the horizon presumably from the Shropshire cell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

just started in Northamptonshire  working nights rain getting heavier and flashes of light 

Posted

Well that first band moved very quickly but was mightily impressive as it did so. Seeing it approach was pretty spectacular.

Looking like there could be a bit more before the night is out.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

quite an intense thunderstorm here just over 15 20 minutes ago very bright lightning with loud thunder and rain 

Posted

Thinking about whether it's worth staying up longer to see what the next lot of showers heading this way do. They don't look that electrically charged right now, but the atmosphere is so soupy, there could very possibly be some more.

Posted

Hi all,

The leading edge of the thunder plume has passed overhead in Coventry, now heading over Nuneaton & further on north east. No heavy rain yet, was plenty of lightning, but that has passed. May be more activity from the trailing edge in an hour. Please stay dry everyone.

Posted
29 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Intense lightning show over Stoke-on-Trent.

Best since i moved here probably. For constant CC lightning anyway. The winds went mental too for about ten minutes. Very much reminded me of the storms I experienced in Maldives, Mexico and Dominican Republic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

I have never experienced a storm like that in my life. Almost constant lightning and the thunder was constant, eerie and like someone shaking a metal sheet in a theatre. And the rain was absolutely torrential; I could barely see the houses across the road. 

Quite amazing.

Still raining quite a bit now. Lightning and thunder gone north across The Wolds. 

Bring on phase 2!

Posted

I think that could be it for here.

Still bits and pieces around that could spark up. On a night like tonight it's always hard to tell when it's over!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Continuous rain but 2nd band of lightning starting now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

Well, that was, hmm, expected. Storm to the east missed us and storms to the west missed us. Unlucky does not cover it! Plenty of lightning but nothing overhead and mostly distant rumbles:-( nice one to the storm starved on here but spare a thought for little old me in Telford haha!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Cloud appears to be rolling in from the SSW here now, temp peaked at 26.5C. Err, backtrack on that alittle, seems it has reached it's westward extent, cloud seems to be breaking more readily, and the temp has jump up to 27.6C, so well above the expected high.

Edited by DIS1970
Read the comment!

Posted

Wondering what the chances are for tomorrow. We're in the high risk for UKWW, but I suspect the action will all be to the East, shall we say erm...Lincolnshire! Hoping to be surprised. Last night was a good light show, but nothing close, and little thunder (you'd probably have heard almost nothing in the daytime), and over way too fast! Fingers crossed.

Posted

Does anyone know the record high for Birmingham? Be good to see records tumble across the Mids tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

So for us in the Midlands the highest ever temperature recorded in Birmingham (Airport) was 34.9C set in August.  The forecasted high for EGBB is currently 34C so will be close!

Posted

@shaky 

The highest temperature for Leicester was recorded at Newtown Linford was 34.5 °C (94.1 °F) during August 1990 although a temperature of 35.1 °C (95.2 °F) was achieved at Leicester University during August 2003.

Posted

Also Coventry‘s Max - 35.1C (1990)

Posted

Forecast seemed to be around 33-34 for most of the Midlands, but I noticed Met Office going for 35, so will be interesting locally to see what records go.