Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Even though quite like the hot weather, these sort of temperatures today do feel more comfortable. Albeit that it’s a little bit windy. Still pleasant though! Great for a walk. ?‍♂️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Was still quite warm in direct sun today, the breeze was quite strong but not cold which helped it be an enjoyable afternoon for walking (yesterday was a bit sweaty for it!).

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some welcome rain just started here, Shouldn't last to long as only a thin band.

Edit- Moderate rain now.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

The first ‘coolish’ day in a while. Cloudy with light to moderate rain earlier on. Next week looks like a week of showers and sunshine, especially towards the middle of the week.

Posted

Mainly a dull day but feeling very warm in the limited sunshine.

Feeling very muggy early evening and there were a few spots of rain but nothing major. Bit fresher now.

Constantly looking at forecasts but still no idea what Thursday might bring for the cricket

Posted

Im takign the family to Fairford Airshow next Friday.   Im almost scared to look at the forecast as I seemed to be jinxed last year when i went.   We were in the middle of 5 weeks heatwave,  and yet we had heavy rain right when the big flypast of 50 aircraft were due to flyover   :-(

At what point do you think forecasters can give a pretty good forecast in advance ?   1 day ,  4 days , a week maybe ?

Cheers,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Good/great day for the cricket.

Rain as they walked off the field  - which we (about 6 miles away) missed.

However we have just had a nice 10 min heavy shower just before I watered the garden!!!

So it has been a good day.

As for the above - Fairford looks dry this year.  Though I reckon the following  for the chances of the MO being correct -

1 day    95%

2 day    85%

3day     70%

4day     50%

5day     35%

Never bother looking out any further  - though it could be correct during periods of anticyclonic slow moving situations.

I play golf regularly and the normal 4 I play in,  most days,  use a different forecast system from Television (ITV and  BBC) and the internet (many versions) and I use the BBC rain radar to see what weather to expect.  It seems best at telling what time any rain will occur.  Seems to me the best, but that is at a range of 1day!!!  So I guess that one of them is correct most days. The problem is that it seems to be a different one nearly every day!!

MIA 

Posted

Thank you Midlands Ice Age.  I hope your right.   General forecast says drier in the South and East next week...so hopefully Fairford comes under that.  I will not look until later next week   (yeh, right ..!  ) 

Unlike the cricket, if it rains all day, and the flying is cancelled, you dont get your money back as you can still walk round the static planes and exhbitions , apparently 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Quite a lot of Cheshire Gap showers heading the Midlands' way right now. Here in Bewdley it's dry but gloomy and close, but it looks like we'll get at least some light showers later. However, there are already some pretty heavy showers in Shropshire and Staffordshire. Both BBC and Met Office text forecasts seem to have under-forecast this, going for no more than "early low cloud" or "isolated showers", so probably some people are going to be caught out and get wet. Umbrella for me!

Posted
2 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

Quite a lot of Cheshire Gap showers heading the Midlands' way right now. Here in Bewdley it's dry but gloomy and close, but it looks like we'll get at least some light showers later. However, there are already some pretty heavy showers in Shropshire and Staffordshire. Both BBC and Met Office text forecasts seem to have under-forecast this, going for no more than "early low cloud" or "isolated showers", so probably some people are going to be caught out and get wet. Umbrella for me!

Very windy too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

A good 10 mins worth of moderate steady rain fell an hour ago.

Now brightening up.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

just hammered it down. Washing soaked now. idiots never said it would pee down

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just 10.8 mm of rain measured here so far this month so assuming there's no rain between now and 0900 tomorrow ( very unlikely I'd say ) it'll be the driest first half of July since 2013 when the first 15 days recorded 5.7 mm.

• Like 1

Posted

A very warm start to the day ( 19,2c at 0800 g.m.t ) after the warmest night of the year so far with a min' of 14.5c.. If the ECM is anywhere near accurate that could easily be beaten towards the end of next week.

Posted

16c rain/showers... 6mm of rain overnight... more to come looking at radar... driving down to tutbury near derby to visit friends this evening...then off to Stratford and leamington spa to surprise my husbands sister in law over from California for Sunday lunch....hopefully nicer weather for Sunday

Posted

A couple of short, heavy showers in the last hour and a half but it looks as though that's it for the day as there's nothing to the W/NW on the radar. Attention now turns to the coming hot spell, as in how hot will it get and will there be thunderstorms as it breaks down?

The last thunderstorm at this site ( as opposed to thunder heard in distant showers) was June 10th 2016 so it could be argued a good one is long overdue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Hoping to see 30c at some point this week. And maybe a storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Feeling noticeably more humid today, and even though the thermometer isn't anywhere exceptional for July (max so far 26.3 °C) it really is draining if you have to put any effort in outside. My 2019 high here in Bewdley is 30.2 °C (on 29th June) and I think that might be challenged tomorrow if it's sunny for long enough. Can't say I envy those in the SE who are looking at several days of 32+.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Clouding over here now at the moment, warm though 21.2C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

Anyone else livid that this cloud ia over us at the moment!? Saw this modelled by almost all high res models last night so no surprise. Makes me laugh, we are inland, and we must get the most spoiling cloud when the coasts are clear!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
22 minutes ago, Paceyboy said:

Anyone else livid that this cloud ia over us at the moment!? Saw this modelled by almost all high res models last night so no surprise. Makes me laugh, we are inland, and we must get the most spoiling cloud when the coasts are clear!!

What time is it forecast to clear?