Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
4 hours ago, davehsug said:

Well that was a very disappointing day. Cloudy, hazy and with a nagging wind. It certainly doesn't tie in with the forecast, yet it's received zero acknowledgement in the evening forecasts. Seems to be a growing trend of "sexing-up" TV weather forecasts in particular.

It was a strange day here in Bewdley. As in your neck of the woods, the sunshine was hazy when it was there at all, and the wind was a pain. It actually felt noticeably cooler than yesterday until late afternoon. We then got some stronger sunshine and maxed out at 19.7 °C, a new 2019 high for me. But it really didn't feel like the warmest day of the year so far.

It might be interesting to have a couple of minutes each evening on the BBC News channel to look back at the forecast for that day and see how well it panned out. I suppose one reason they don't is that the forecasters get enough ill-informed criticism as it is -- but I think it could actually be quite worthwhile if there was some explanation of why things hadn't panned out as expected. We do occasionally get that, and I appreciate it when it happens, but it's fairly rare.

(Well, except for my long-standing feeling that, for the Severn Valley at least, both Met Office and MeteoGroup/Beeb frequently underestimate cloud amounts and so also fail to forecast quite a bit of non-frontal light rain.)

Hoping for a better Good Friday and my first 20 °C of the year!

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Nearing 17*C here now in Solihull with some sunny spells. Just 3 more degrees to reach that magic 20*C mark. 

And I think that’s a good idea for the likes of the BBC News to go back and see why the weather behaved differently to what was expected. Just like when snow is forecasted, but a single snowflake doesn’t end up falling on the day.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

20c here currently with very little wind to speak of and clear blue open sky's.

IMG_20190419_163415.thumb.jpg.5ce4d8fab706fb4de18616d94c4992a9.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Now that was more like it! Max of 22.0 °C today, so easily the warmest so far this year. Almost unbroken blue skies and lighter winds than yesterday. Really did feel summery -- I went outside briefly just now, and though it's only 11 °C it still feels very pleasant.

Posted
21 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

Now that was more like it! Max of 22.0 °C today, so easily the warmest so far this year. Almost unbroken blue skies and lighter winds than yesterday. Really did feel summery -- I went outside briefly just now, and though it's only 11 °C it still feels very pleasant.

Quoting myself, tsk... but slightly to my surprise it was warmer today, at 22.4 °C. I say "to my surprise" because the warmth felt a little moderated, and there were a few more wisps of high cloud than yesterday. Still an extremely pleasant day to be out and about, though. I'm pretty much in "summer mode" for the moment, so even the probable return to average-or-slightly-above April temperatures with showers later in the coming week may be a bit of a shock!

Posted

Absolutely glorious out again with open clear blue skys and temp already 19.5c here.

Posted

Third excellent day running! 21.7 °C today and more blue skies everywhere. I wish I could stop myself thinking that this could end up being a better spell than anything we get during the actual summer! Still, I'm enjoying it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Aye Dave, well definitely August where this setup is exceedingly rare, non stop blue skies virtually un heard of as Aug one of most Atlantic dominated months of year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Stunning all day long. The sun was relentless and I managed to burn too. Cracking Easter BBQ in the garden.

Posted
On 21/04/2019 at 19:09, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye Dave, well definitely August where this setup is exceedingly rare, non stop blue skies virtually un heard of as Aug one of most Atlantic dominated months of year

Also the fact that August heat is often more humid and thundery, whereas earlier in the year there's a fresher feel that I personally prefer. On top of which, I can have a beer in the garden without attracting thousands of wasps!

Yesterday crept into top spot for me in 2019, with the max of 22.5 °C just one-tenth above Sunday's high. Cooler and quite overcast today, though still just reaching 20 °C. Also feeling a little more humid -- no sense of thunder approaching just yet, but it'll be all change tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A thunderstorm about 10 miles east of here late yesterday afternoon was the first thunder heard at this site since July 27th last year. The last time there was an overhead storm was June 10th 2016.

Posted

Two afternoons with small storms, probably more than we had last year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Tomorrow is forecasted to be a ? day, wind & rain and the MO have me down for a max of just 7c ? 

The north of our region it’ll be one story.....wind and rain all day.

43676C63-041F-4FDD-9410-71CF98E68B3A.thumb.png.1a0be8f4d6e4f83556adbd85439580c7.png883CCAEA-C683-444B-A442-1A2B9C0CAD0F.thumb.png.a6b2db1bf53d579f9a2a8ac7fed826db.pngD3A3473B-67EC-4E74-947A-61BDB46FF3AB.thumb.png.ed4458836044b285a4791c9dc8a5a438.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A 50 mph gust at 0748 g.m.t is the highest here so far today. I think the strongest winds will probably be after midday in this area as storm Hannah begins to move out over the North Sea. Some useful rain ( 9.5 mm in the 24 hrs to 0800 g.m.t ) overnight and more to come by the look of the latest radar.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

Heavy, persistent rain for hours on end and set to continue into tomorrow. This following thundery downpours over the past few days. For those saying they need rain, you’re more than welcome to take a chunk of Stoke’s. There is plenty to go around.

Posted
47 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Heavy, persistent rain for hours on end and set to continue into tomorrow. This following thundery downpours over the past few days. For those saying they need rain, you’re more than welcome to take a chunk of Stoke’s. There is plenty to go around.

Yes particulary soggy today though those thundery heavy showers the past few days didn't do much to impact the ground as it was still rock hard where mud usually is. After today maybe not.

Posted

And still it pours. Stoke really has been under the band for the last 24 hours. Shame it never does this in snow! Radar was meant to ease by 5pm but now shows heavier rain out till at least 9pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
23 minutes ago, RobR said:

And still it pours. Stoke really has been under the band for the last 24 hours. Shame it never does this in snow! Radar was meant to ease by 5pm but now shows heavier rain out till at least 9pm

Same here in Crewe. The rain has been relentless. 

Posted
21 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Same here in Crewe. The rain has been relentless. 

Yep whole of Cheshire and North Staffs has just been fed all day long. Just walked the dog and it's even worse than earlier. Would love to know the totals, been a long time since I remember a day like today. The wind is still gusting too and is freezing 

Posted
1 hour ago, RobR said:

Exactly. The Cheshire Gap in full flow, with rain parked right over Stoke for nearing 24 hours and no sign of stopping. Yet all winter snow from this sort of setup missed Stoke by no more than a few miles.

Posted
36 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Exactly. The Cheshire Gap in full flow, with rain parked right over Stoke for nearing 24 hours and no sign of stopping. Yet all winter snow from this sort of setup missed Stoke by no more than a few miles.

If this was snow, we'd easily have a foot of it by now

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

If this was snow, we'd easily have a foot of it by now

With plenty more to come, looking at the radar. *Shakes fist at sky*.

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

With plenty more to come, looking at the radar. *Shakes fist at sky*.

On the plus side, if its going to be dry for weeks on end again, this is exactly what we needed to allow plenty of water to percolate deep into the ground. We should stay nice and green for a bit longer than some other places

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

On the plus side, if its going to be dry for weeks on end again, this is exactly what we needed to allow plenty of water to percolate deep into the ground. We should stay nice and green for a bit longer than some other places

I feel it’s going to contribute to an awful hay fever season though Just glad this weather is on the one day of the week I don’t have to step outside.