Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
17 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

They don't 'always' get snow statistically speaking the Midlands get more snow each year than locations south of the M4, just because we missed out during the last event doesn't mean we will always miss out!

We aint getting snow forget it

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
50 minutes ago, shezale said:

We aint getting snow forget it

Yes but to say that we 'always' miss out on these systems and that those south of the M4 get all the snow is frankly untrue. 

If you think the Midlands is a 'bad' place for snow then I wonder what you would think of those in the SW,SE and Isle of Wight.

Edited by AppleUK 123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Yes but to say that we 'always' miss out on these systems and that those south of the M4 get all the snow is frankly untrue. 

If you think the Midlands is a 'bad' place for snow then I wonder what you would think of those in the SW,SE and Isle of Wight.

Midlands is a bad place for snow i remember winter of 2010 everywhere got plastered but coventry remained bone dry..

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Exactly. Should try growing up in London, with their boring, snowless winters.

Met Office warnings for strong winds issued for tonight and for Friday night into Saturday.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, shezale said:

Midlands is a bad place for snow i remember winter of 2010 everywhere got plastered but coventry remained bone dry..

The Midlands is not a bad place for snow, I'm afraid you are mistaken. Look at the map below from the Met Office, you can clearly see the Midlands is NOT the least snowiest place in the UK. You can also see the darker blue on the Days of Snow falling map over the Birmingham/Black Country area noting the higher ground in some parts of the Midlands.

Talking about Birmingham specifically: "Birmingham is a snowy city relative to other large UK conurbations, due to its inland location and comparatively high elevation."

snowfall_average_1981-2010_171.jpg.gif

snowlying_average_1981-2010_171.jpg.gif

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

The Midlands is not a bad place for snow, I'm afraid you are mistaken. Look at the map below from the Met Office, you can clearly see the Midlands is NOT the least snowiest place in the UK. You can also see the darker blue on the Days of Snow falling map over the Birmingham/Black Country area noting the higher ground in some parts of the Midlands.

Talking about Birmingham specifically: "Birmingham is a snowy city relative to other large UK conurbations, due to its inland location and comparatively high elevation."

snowfall_average_1981-2010_171.jpg.gif

snowlying_average_1981-2010_171.jpg.gif

An average of 10 to 20 days of snow cover in Stoke. Impressive. A long way below that this winter.

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

An average of 10 to 20 days of snow cover in Stoke. Impressive. A long way below that this winter.

Yes Matt sometimes we can lose sight of the bigger picture, it is not as dire as people often make out. Let's also not forget that this is yearly snowfall as well so although we may see below average snowfall for the rest of this season you never know, we may see some snowfall later on this year meaning that overall snowfall is not too far from average.

Posted
4 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Yes Matt sometimes we can lose sight of the bigger picture, it is not as dire as people often make out. Let's also not forget that this is yearly snowfall as well so although we may see below average snowfall for the rest of this season you never know, we may see some snowfall later on this year meaning that overall snowfall is not too far from average.

I hadn't thought of that.

Note also that London has laying snow on average less than 5 days a year. Winters growing up there really sucked.

• Thanks 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

GFS now showing a snow risk for Sunday. As was the ECM this morning. I'll be walking in the Peak District that day....

12_93_preciptype.png

Last week we were to.far north and this sundag looks like we will be to far south lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, shezale said:

Last week we were to.far north and this sundag looks like we will be to far south lol

will be corrected south nearer the day, south of the M4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Seems like Deja vu again will it go North or South. It will go South but I think it will be rain for low ground anyway. But still alot of water under the bridge for Sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
7 hours ago, shezale said:

But the midlands did have loads of snow just because Coventry didn’t dosnt mean midlands is bad as a whole. In fact the midlands usually does quite well in certain situations. I had a fair amount in Birmingham in 2010

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Not looking forward to the wind tonight up here on the Hills. BBC giving us 4 days of yellow wind warnings. Batten down the hatches! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
1 minute ago, Barbmac said:

Not looking forward to the wind tonight up here on the Hills. BBC giving us 4 days of yellow wind warnings. Batten down the hatches! 

Yh it's not looking good. Be safe mate

Posted
1 hour ago, Barbmac said:

Vile weather.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Moderate snow here currently.

Edit- Still moderate wet snow with a thin covering now.

Temp 0.7c

Wind chill -4c

Dp 0.4c

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
2 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Moderate snow here currently.

Edit- Still moderate wet snow with a thin covering now.

Temp 0.7c

Wind chill -4c

Dp 0.4c

Wish we had that instead of the wind and rain. Most unpleasant walk to work in some time. Drenched and battered. How people prefer this to what we had last week is beyond me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

2.5cm of wet snow here this morning. The lower limit for lying snow appears to be around 230 m. Still snowing steadily but with a current temp' of 1.1c it's thawing as fast as it falls.

Guest Delete Me

Heavy snow this morning just north / east of Leek. 

Parts of the A53 road to flash are covered, check out the winking man pubs webcam for a true picture of what its currently like.

Posted

Gales in the early hours certainly no snow.

Snow still showing same place sunday not the kind of snow I like if its the wet type,not hitting any cold air this time round.

prectypeuktopo.png

Edited by Snowyowl9