Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

looked this way since Tuesday, always going to be mainly S of M4 event, small window but you Leicester folk, and all Midlands, main chance is from the Wash, likely later tonight and tomorrow, before winds turn NNE

only flurries though, but a chance

Showers from the north west have failed me so far this winter. Let’s see what ones from the north east do tomorrow! BBC have them reaching me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Doh.... swings and roundabouts.  It is still too early to make any sweeping statements.  

IF anything is going to happen it is more likely to be overnight and not conveniently when you are awake and gawking out of your window during reasonable hours 

Still might be jack all but simply dismissing any chance is a bit overly negative..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Showers from the north west have failed me so far this winter. Let’s see what ones from the north east do tomorrow! BBC have them reaching me.

they reach fine, it's just the short window, E/ENE though is miles better than NW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

looked this way since Tuesday, always going to be mainly S of M4 event, small window but you Leicester folk, and all Midlands, main chance is from the Wash, likely later tonight and tomorrow, before winds turn NNE

only flurries though, but a chance

i really am sick of this country when we clasp at the slightest chance of any snowfall throughout the winter.  for gods sake even jerusalem in the middle east has more snow than us.  damn the gulf stream to hell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Last night: Anyway of more interest tonight is the temps. It was already -3 at 7pm, but with no wind it feels quite nice for a walk.

I went up Brown Edge and the snow was several inches deep and powdery in nature and had a nice walk in the dark (since the snow makes everywhere brighter)

Tonight: Wow the wind is freezing tonight! Making it feel so raw. Apparently snow is blowing around blocking roads in the Peak District too.

Edited by RobR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
11 minutes ago, MidlandsSean said:

I just reviewed their tweets and they’ve tweeted the same thing 4 times today

I live a couple of miles from there and there’s definetley no snow whatsoever!!

i am now chucking the towel in for this event! 

North Sea showers maybe on tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Band to the south of Worcester is pushing north again. I do wonder though if eagerly waiting for the next 5 minute radar update is borderline obsession lol

• Like 1

Posted

Achieved an ice day today. Shows how cold the climate is here as a polar maritime airmass isn’t deeply cold. Wonder how cold it would have been had we had that Beast from the east spell in mid winter, with uppers 10 degrees lower and a strong wind.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Achieved an ice day today. Shows how cold the climate is here as a polar maritime airmass isn’t deeply cold. Wonder how cold it would have been had we had that Beast from the east spell in mid winter, with uppers 10 degrees lower and a strong wind.

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, but generally too early for a beast, Mid Feb probably earliest one can arrive, hoping for one still this year

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, but generally too early for a beast, Mid Feb probably earliest one can arrive, hoping for one still this year

But wasn't it exactly 10 years ago tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Just been outside to have a look here in Bewdley. Still completely dry, but I think the clouds are starting to take on that snowy shade. Harder to tell than it used to be now we no longer have sodium street lighting, though! Looks from the radar as though Worcester is about the northern limit at the mo. A few scattered pixels as far north as me, but they're not actually producing anything, at least here.

Edited by Arctic Hare
grammar

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

December 2010!? 

Posted
1 minute ago, PerfectStorm said:

December 2010!? 

Think uppers were only around -8 or so then, rather than the -16 or so we saw last March. Just that the sun is so much weaker in December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

This member talks absolute ******

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
6 hours ago, kmanmx said:

As for your last sentence... i've been skiing every year for the past 15 years to the alps. 1 week each year. Do you know how many times I have seen it snow in those 15 weeks ? once, and about an inch. Every single week I choose to go, it's dry and sunny. Don't get me wrong it's nice to ski in the sun, but I want to see a massive dumping of snow atleast once in my life. I just got back from Les Arcs last week, and then the day after I got back they had 60cm of fresh snow fall.  Even last year when they had a huge amount of snow and 3 meter high drifts, I still managed to choose the dry week 

Wow, I real feel your pain my friend, that is some seriously bad luck! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
24 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

I can't blame fellow members here hoping for the better but we need to get right the fundamentals of meteorology even if most of us are just amateurs and it's our hobby. I'll leave it here because I feel that I'm repeating myself. 

I think it's far too early to write this off yet though. The PPN wasn't forecast to reach Leicester till after midnight anyway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
11 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

If that beast last year had hit 5/6 weeks earlier, it would have been historic. Some places would have maxed out at about -6/-7 or possibly lower...the uppers were THAT cold...and they probably would have been a couple of degrees lower than what we got.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Fozfoster said:

This member talks absolute ******

cheers! like a star, 6 stars, never knew I was that ace

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

I think it's far too early to write this off yet though. The PPN wasn't forecast to reach Leicester till after midnight anyway. 

Yup gfs didnt have any snow till between 3 and 6am for us

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Think uppers were only around -8 or so then, rather than the -16 or so we saw last March. Just that the sun is so much weaker in December.

I was thinking then, surely it's all relative? -16C uppers were moderated somewhat by the strengthening sun...still bitterly cold mind. -8C uppers in December weren't moderated and broke local seasonal temperature records. 

I guess though a 'beast' in its strictest sense is an easterly with extremely cold uppers. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Well I for one think it’s all a load of  

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

How far north is that heavy precipitation expected to travel, which is currently over the English Channel?

Was thinking the same, looks quite a beefy bit does that