Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
1 minute ago, markw2680 said:

Yes it’s looking unlikely we will get much at all but it’s certainly not gameover at 5.30 pm. Get a grip if we have had nout by about midnight then yeah say game over

Look at every latest model the issue is theres a small low formed behind the main low wich has dragged evrething so far South. Even Bristol might miss out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Yep, not over yet. Interesting to see where that band reaches though vs what was modelled earlier! Looking good south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Look at every latest model the issue is theres a small low formed behind the main low wich has dragged evrething so far South. Even Bristol might miss out.

Yes I agree it’s looking crap but to say game over already imo is not true (yet)

also it’s around Gloucester now and still moving north yes very slowly, so Bristol is already in the middle of it

Edited by markw2680
Edit
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
14 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

It is game over the Snow is going to struggle to make it past Bristol. Love your optimism though

Snow A...

Its already moved up past Bristol, and its now on its way to Gloucester. 

It seems to be pepping up in the south of England as the newly formed low in the Channel moves East. It depends how quickly it moves and whether  it is developed enough to push the warmer air in front of it Northwards.

MIA

Edit....

Temp now falling here. Max temp reached was +1.6C now down to +0.4C with dew points falling steadily now at -2.2C.

Snow grains have just fallen here, nothing of note, but it does show moisture is developing.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Snow A...

Its already moved up past Bristol, and its now on its way to Gloucester. 

It seems to be pepping up in the south of England as the newly formed low in the Channel moves East. It depends how quickly it moves and whether  it is developed enough to push the warmer air in front of it Northwards.

MIA

It's still moving north and seems to have gathered pace. It's like it wants to get here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I wonder if snow showers from the North sea can make it this far south tomorrow? Maybe be able to grab a dusting if they do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
15 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Very confused by your post, Bristol is already having snowfall looking at the radar.

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Very confused by your post, Bristol is already having snowfall looking at the radar.

Go to SW thread radar can be deciving. But i do think Bristol will see snow all the way up to Worcester area.

Edited by snowangel32
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snow. https://www.tamworthweather.co.uk

I think this is as far north the front will go now as we head through the night, albeit light and patchy I would expect. But hopefully it can push a little more though lol.

IMG_20190131_174608.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
36 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

I disagree, don't think you can generalise the whole of the Midlands, this is just the unlikely event where snow remains south of the M4. Here in the Black Country/ WM Conurbation we often do pretty well each Winter compared to surrounding areas, to suggest the current situation happens most of the time is incorrect. If you think the Midlands is bad for snow then I wonder what would you think of living in the South West and South East. Granted I'm only speaking about a rather small area of the Midlands as a whole. Of course I do have the positive on living on a relatively high area as does Birmingham so it is a pretty snowy city relative to elsewhere.

My tongue was somewhat in cheek with my post, hence that smiley at the end of the first para. Bewdley, specifically, is not good for snow -- 10cm is really unusual. But sure, it's true that if you're at 200m+ in Sedgeley or something you do better quite often.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
Just now, snowangel32 said:

Go to SW thread radar can be deciving.

Whether it’s rain or snow there’s precipitation around that area so it’s pushed north of there and is continuing to do so atm. Until it stalls or starts to move anywhere other than north there’s hope

• Like 1

Posted

Current conditions in Bristol.

Reading comments about how the Midlands is bad for snow. Blimey. You lot should try living in London for 30 years and not seeing a frost many winters never mind a flake of snow! I remember many times the Midlands having snow while London had rain.

407B42EA-2042-4144-8402-C46A03B35AC4.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
Just now, MattStoke said:

Reading comments about how the Midlands is bad for snow. Blimey. You lot should try living in London for 30 years and not seeing a frost many winters never mind a flake of snow! I remember many times the Midlands having snow while London had rain.

Indeed Matt, just because we have missed this event doesn't mean the Midlands is a bad place for snowfalls, far from it.

Posted
4 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Whether it’s rain or snow there’s precipitation around that area so it’s pushed north of there and is continuing to do so atm. Until it stalls or starts to move anywhere other than north there’s hope

Not trying to be negative just saying there's no way ppn will make it to the Mids we have more chance with the showers to our East lol. It is not Snowing in Bristol at present they have sleet/Rain. Should turn there soon though. But i suppose at least the ppn made it there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter

When is our next chance of a snow event?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

You’ve done okay since living in stoke recently, if that’s the case with the small amounts of snowfall over the years in London, you must be loving it, so why are you a winger from time to time ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Looks like that front is drifting in a mainly easterly direction, so if you're expecting any snow in the Mids, i would more or less forget it now, just count back the time scale in the radar, and it barely makes any movement north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Might be some hope in that, if the system is now further south then maybe the convection zone has also been pulled further south to over the east midlands.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

You’ve done okay since living in stoke recently, if that’s the case with the small amounts of snowfall over the years in London, you must be loving it, so why are you a winger from time to time ?

Compared to what I saw most winters in London, Stoke’s winter weather is great, but it’s never anything significant. It’s always small, slushy dustings that struggle to last a day. It’s very frustrating when any significant event only gives a dusting but surrounded areas see considerably more. It’s also frustrating that since leaving London they seem to get a lot more snow. My family in London should get another decent snowfall tonight. They’ve seen more snow this winter than I have.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

To be honest, since I've moved up here in August last year. Plenty of people across the Black Country have mentioned that they/we often get snow each winter, and often used to read that Birmingham sees quite a bit of it. So whilst today might not produce the goods there's still another 5 to 6 weeks of winter left (guess like a lot of folk have been caught up with the talk of the SSW but GP mentioned today that end of Feb will be the period of interest). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter
1 minute ago, Jason74 said:

To be honest, since I've moved up here in August last year. Plenty of people across the Black Country have mentioned that they/we often get snow each winter, and often used to read that Birmingham sees quite a bit of it. So whilst today might not produce the goods there's still another 5 to 6 weeks of winter left (guess like a lot of folk have been caught up with the talk of the SSW but GP mentioned today that end of Feb will be the period of interest). 

Then soon the interest will be middle of March, then end of March..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Sorry to be the doom merchant here but I said it was slipping away gfs 10 day yesterday’s and today 

i will get my coat...............Foz

FF0B2F38-E541-415B-BA3F-22F0CE8C649F.png

0FAEDC1A-D6CF-498E-B165-D0FCA4D0433F.png

Edited by Fozfoster

Posted
5 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Looks like that front is drifting in a mainly easterly direction, so if you're expecting any snow in the Mids, i would more or less forget it now, just count back the time scale in the radar, and it barely makes any movement north.

It is expanding northwards in terms of light precip appearing north of the main precip. That will be the best hope for central midland areas. It won't result in thick deep snow but may give a cm or two. Keep an eye on the areas around Oxford you will see what I mean.