Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)
1 minute ago, Storme said:

Ooh look Loughborough is white. Does that mean snow? 

That's right!  White out guaranteed 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
3 minutes ago, Barometer Cat said:

Might just be me but is radar showing the main band of PPN creeping Northwards?  

...I must be bored watching the radar for the last 10 minutes I'm starting to see things 

Its going to pivot so watch where it pivots if it will be further North. Still all dry here in Somerset.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Still heading northeast but looking at the radar animation at full speed, it's gradually easing on the NE extent. Pivot around Herefordshire is my best guess. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
3 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Still heading northeast but looking at the radar animation at full speed, it's gradually easing on the NE extent. Pivot around Herefordshire is my best guess. 

Yes looks like it will head east along the south.

Might catch the very top edge.

Here's hoping for it to push abit more north before it does.

Posted
6 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Gota hope that covergence gives something further north!!

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.52a5a9bff8103d42f7b625297c7fcbac.png

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Gota hope that convergence gives us something further north!!is it me or is there snow grains breaking out on the radar across wales and the south midlands

• Like 1

Posted

I've noticed that the most northern extent of the band isn't reaching northern Ireland. That's where the boundary between the more moist layer and the colder, denser layer is. If you draw the line of the general path of the low, you get an idea of where the convergence would be. Anything along that line stands a good chance of CZ precipitation, anything below would see precipitation from the band, anything further north, likely to be dry. 

You know what, it ties in very nicely with the MetOffice warnings. 

image.thumb.png.9ec5e9bef5d80a07eca1b57be6d59501.png

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted
8 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

I've noticed that the most northern extent of the band isn't reaching northern Ireland. That's where the boundary between the more moist layer and the colder, denser layer is. If you draw the line of the general path of the low, you get an idea of where the convergence would be. Anything along that line stands a good chance of CZ precipitation, anything below would see precipitation from the band, anything further north, likely to be dry. 

Is that the convergence line at the moment cos the charts you posted in the morning had it further north so i assume thats the line at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and more snow.
7 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is CZ Precipitation?

Posted
Just now, shaky said:

Is that the convergence line at the moment cos the charts you posted in the morning had it further north so i assume thats the line at the moment

The hirlam (I think it was?) had the line across the Birmingham area, the Euro4 at the time had it further north across south Cheshire. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Still have still got me in that warning zone, even though just dry light cloud overcast conditions are forecast now.

Posted
1 minute ago, VeryCold said:

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is CZ Precipitation?

Convergence zone, it's where two air masses essentially meet each other. When the air clashes, it forces air upwards which CAN produce precipitation. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and more snow.
1 minute ago, PerfectStorm said:

Convergence zone, it's where two air masses essentially meet each other. When the air clashes, it forces air upwards which CAN produce precipitation. 

Many thanks !

Posted

calling this out as a bust for vast majority of midlands. odd dusting about but the way the precip will fragment and fade will see hardly anyone here getting much to shout about. Met office app downgrading amounts now too,

Posted

Be interesting I reckon from about 6pm here in the Black Country.  Any time from then onwards, I reckon we may see a flake or two.

Posted

A Facebook friend posted this photo from Park Hall Country Park. Just 2 miles from my house. I can’t believe how much snow there is such a short distance away!

91364E99-9279-44EE-BD62-D5E68FAB1FD8.jpeg

Posted

Good view of it here. You have the warmer, more moist air mass producing the heavier precipitation and the drier, denser air with no precipitation. In the middle is precipitation I would assume is formed from the interaction of the two which is lighter but persistent. 

It's this that would give people accumulations across the Midlands, IF it happens. 

image.thumb.png.be3af8538bbe633d3066d64b650f48f6.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Good view of it here. You have the warmer, more moist air mass producing the heavier precipitation and the drier, denser air with no precipitation. In the middle is precipitation I would assume is formed from the interaction of the two which is lighter but persistent. 

It's this that would give people accumulations across the Midlands, IF it happens. 

image.thumb.png.be3af8538bbe633d3066d64b650f48f6.png

Fingers crossed for sudden developments this evening!!euro4 was showing it last night aswell until it got dropped on the 00z!!