Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Is it time we all chipped in for a snow machine?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
9 minutes ago, MKN said:

It looks worse when you compare it to the charts from a couple days a go.

Screenshot_20190130_093120.jpg

iconeu_uk1-45-58-0.png

Does anyone smarter than me know why models so frequently downgrade closer to T0 and very rarely upgrade ?

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
Just now, kmanmx said:

Does anyone smarter than me know why models so frequently downgrades closer to T0 and very rarely upgrade ?

To be fair it has upgraded.  Just not for us   South Coast is much better

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

To be fair it has upgraded.  Just not for us   South Coast is much better

I guess, but the overall intensity seems significantly reduced. A weaker system etc, which seems to be par for the course as you approach T0, anecdotally at least,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

Being in West Oxfordshire I feel like I'm sat in the sweet spot because unless the shift North or South is extreme I should be seeing some of the white stuff tomorrow evening regardless. I'm sure my little gloat will be punished severely when this all goes jelly tots up over the next 24hrs lol.

I noticed that with this mornings ICON the pivot effect is not quite as favourable and it all fizzles out southwards quickly. Yesterday the pivot was giving a second shot at snow as it cleared south.

Anyway fingers crossed for a decent outcome for all!

Posted

this is where the access to so much information is annoying, constant changes from run to run a minute to minute in some cases like the more southerly ICON to slightly more northerly GFS. Its no wonder forecasts are difficult.

Personally I'm happy to wait to see actually what happens at this point not obsessing over each model (though I say that im still bloody looking aint i lol)

Posted

Not a massive change as expected. Will let you decide. Would be good to overlay the images somehow. 

00z the 06z at what is now +42

48-574UK.gif

42-574UK.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Looking good for Northants

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

A few flakes at breakfast time today, from the last gasp of a Cheshire Gap shower that just about made it here before expiring. Mostly clear overnight though (min -2.5 °C). Now a bright, cold mid-morning (+0.2 °C).

Thursday night still looking moderately interesting here, though any further shift N/E may put us in rain territory. MetO text forecast for the W Midlands this morning has rowed back a little from simply predicting snow and now says "Cloudier and windier in the afternoon, with outbreaks of sleet and possibly some disruptive snow spreading in from the south by evening."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
40 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

DWW..

Nice to see you are still positive.

I would like to back you up on this posting.

I would,  even more so,  go back to 10th  Dec 2017. It is more relevant as it involved that great slider for us (15cms in and around S Bham -  country sweet spot) whereby a slider was involved.

Models where equally undecided about the track for 3 - 5 days before hand, but ICON stuck to more of a central path.(varying by 100 miles North and South as a max).

Come the high resolution models (48hrs) and they were varying around the South coast to the North Mids.

The generalised models all plunged southwards,  but ICON hung on to the south Mids..

I expected hardly anything here on the morning (Sunday, I think), but got up early to watch the Test Match. Just in time for the snow to start. It rapidly gained in intensity and we had snow for 24 hrs. Further north (Keele)  had only a dusting. Further south Bristol had rain.

Now it is not quite the same situation  but similar,  and ICON has been the most 'stable'. The high res (inside 48hrs) are in general showing more snow for us, than the generalised models(which are all plunging south!).ECM is the best for our area, One never knows,and I think the models do not either.

Time will tell what happens tomorrow. I have still not lost all hope. It will come down to a 'lamp post' and 6hour situation forecasting job.

A small strengthening of the low will drive it on a more North east path, a slight disturbance in front of the main low (shown on some runs) will cause the front to pivot over us..   

MIA:oldgood::cold:

yes December 10, 2017 was excellent for here in Rome however this winter has been a winter of letdowns what’s more we always for what ever reason managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory 

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

My Met Office app has snow symbols for Sunday.

Anyone fancy chasing that one instead? 

no mate tge only thing im chasing is tge dog gonna nip up to mier heath instead 2 miles from longton but 250asl enough snow to enjoy and no headaches chasin crap apps and crap forcasts 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

MMM Hirlam      shift  North

image.thumb.png.23619fe9a6e935c7c8fb66281bae9ae0.png  image.thumb.png.dbb018b8679dcaa45e3afa19464c1ac7.png  

image.png

BANK!

How good is the Hirlam though? I see people bigging it up but I rarely look at it.

Posted

Why can't Met Office post their high res models publicly, selfish buggers  

I do get why really. I'd just really like to have access to them..

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

BANK!

How good is the Hirlam though? I see people bigging it up but I rarely look at it.

It was my choice of model last year  for snow.  of course it may be wrong this time  but is certainly the more northerly of the models so far 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

We had a little overnight.

20190130_094820.jpg