Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Euro4 model does have a nice Cheshire Gap streamer once tomorrow's front clears. Winds NW'ly. Could bring a good dumping for someone.

wo.gif

If you look closely, it's just on the M6, approaching Jnc 16 Crewe, stops then starts again a Jnc 14 Stafford, whilst laughing and sticking its fingers up at Stoke lol

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Andypvfc said:

If you look closely, it's just on the M6, approaching Jnc 16 Crewe, stops then starts again a Jnc 14 Stafford, whilst laughing and sticking its fingers up at Stoke lol

I thought London was bad for snow, but the weather here takes the p.i.s.s. Funny how the rain never misses!

And I thought London was bad for snow. Well, it was before I moved away.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

Err, no doubt! But you and most of us on here will only have about 40 or so left to witness! Not that many really, especially when you consider how bad many of our winters are in good old Blighty!  

Very true. Which is why I stay open minded and don't give up on a potential snow event until the day its meant to happen on has passed. Life is too short to look for how things can go wrong. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Gord said:

Very true. Which is why I stay open minded and don't give up on a potential snow event until the day its meant to happen on has passed. Life is too short to look for how things can go wrong. 

I do keep watching vids on YouTube about a mini Ice Age approaching lol

Posted
10 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

I thought London was bad for snow, but the weather here takes the p.i.s.s. Funny how the rain never misses!

And I thought London was bad for snow. Well, it was before I moved away.

1996 was a good one mate, so I don't give up hope entirely that 1 Winter it might repeat. Remember it as I think that was the last time Port Vale won a game lol

Posted
Just now, Andypvfc said:

I do keep watching vids on YouTube about a mini Ice Age approaching lol

We need one. That film franchise ran out of new ideas several movies ago!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

I can see this going tits up. Tomorrow shows milder air in mixed in so it starts as rain then sleet with an hour or so of back edge snow. Thursday is trending more and more South that I think it will struggle to even clip Kent at this rate. Maybe a chance Friday.

Posted

So, of the main models:

GFS and GFSP take Thursday’s snow the furthest north (as is usually the case), with the northern limit around the far north of England/far south of Scotland. The GFSP is actually further north than it was last night.

ICON and probably the UKMO have it furthest south, barely into the South Midlands.

ECM somewhat of a middle ground, with the snow as far north as Lancashire and Yorkshire, before the front pivots and brings some snow further north east to around Newcastle.

ECM would be best for our region. UKMO/ICON, the worst.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

I think today the front comes in to early (daylight) so warmer uppers. Rain to back edge snow. Hope I’m wrong but that’s it for Warwick. Should have better luck elsewhere. 

Foz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 hours ago, Andypvfc said:

If anything Crewe is even worse lol

I've never seen anything deeper than 10cm in Crewe snow wise. It's awful here. Awful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Stoke is poor for deep deep snow, but we've had 10cm now and again. It isn't poor for marginal events though because of height, so we do get many dustings each year which is better than some!

Posted
27 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

So, of the main models:

GFS and GFSP take Thursday’s snow the furthest north (as is usually the case), with the northern limit around the far north of England/far south of Scotland. The GFSP is actually further north than it was last night.

ICON and probably the UKMO have it furthest south, barely into the South Midlands.

ECM somewhat of a middle ground, with the snow as far north as Lancashire and Yorkshire, before the front pivots and brings some snow further north east to around Newcastle.

ECM would be best for our region. UKMO/ICON, the worst.

Yh Matt a bit better news for the Midlands this morning but still the models don't agree. All to play for. Some back edge snow today for a few hours at least

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A thin covering from overnight snow showers here, A few hours and the front should be here..

Temp -0.2c

Wind chill -3.7c

Dp -0.5c

Posted
12 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

A thin covering from overnight snow showers here, A few hours and the front should be here..

Temp -0.2c

Wind chill -3.7c

Dp -0.5c

It's here way earlier and packing many showers behind it. Think Buxton might get hammered today. Thursday every model has a diffrent take now less than 48 hours out. I think it will be to far South but we will see a second low form further north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Not expecting much snow here in coventry today the meto have us down for rain turning to snow for 1hr tonight so will be lucky to get a thin covering..

Thursday might be our best bet hoping the whole west midlands does well last time in this sort of set up we had 10cms plus (dec 17)

Posted
28 minutes ago, RobR said:

Stoke is poor for deep deep snow, but we've had 10cm now and again. It isn't poor for marginal events though because of height, so we do get many dustings each year which is better than some!

True. Seen many small snowfalls in marginal conditions while surrounding areas saw nothing. It’s just that, when there is more significant event Stoke normally misses out and surrounding areas get hammered.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Well MetO has us on course for rain. I should have put a bet on! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, RobR said:

Sucks here too, but didn't used to before the modern Eera, 90's were amazing for snow here, and so were 80's

Posted

Why is our thread so quiet? All the other regional threads are going nuts? I know there is some doubt for the extent of the snow, however the Midlands is in half decent shape for both 

Posted

Met clearly don't have a clue again. All bases covered. But back edge snow at least looks good.

1136886902_Screenshot_20190129-083254_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.268b2b0956700f6ce8e5a7bfce8950dc.jpg

The from is coming in rapid though and earlier than expected.

Posted
1 minute ago, WelfordRd said:

Why is our thread so quiet? All the other regional threads are going nuts? I know there is some doubt for the extent of the snow, however the Midlands is in half decent shape for both 

I think because today's snow risk is mainly for higher ground with Back edge snow risk as we enter the evening. Thursday is on a knife edge could miss us completely or we could get buried. I think once the Snow starts later it will be buzzing here.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, snowangel32 said:

I think because today's snow risk is mainly for higher ground with Back edge snow risk as we enter the evening. Thursday is on a knife edge could miss us completely or we could get buried. I think once the Snow starts later it will be buzzing here.

Yeah that what i am hoping - looks like the snow event on Thursday is moving South bit by bit so  as you said could miss us all together - Im sure the models with move it around run by run - however the trend is not our friend currently