Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

I'm in both this and the North West thread as with being on the Staffs / Cheshire border no one wants our house exclusively lol. Notice the North West guys were dead excited for Thursday but are now depressed as they say it's moved South. Any info for us guys in North Staffs for Thursday? . I don't look at the charts as often driving, so just rely on you guys to keep me upto date lol

Edited by Andypvfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

These things always trend south, I’d imagine a lot of the Midlands, based on history, especially Birmingham north will stay dry Thursday and end with a sleety mix tomorrow. These are my low expectations, keep them and you will never be disappointed by nothing.

If you are to take a look at the mid range models this morning and the fact we are heading into February, we could really do by taking this chance this week to get some accumulating snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
13 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I think it could be touch and go. I'm quite close to you in Melton so we'll have to see!

Yep we definitely needed an Easterly for this to pull off something good.

Posted
14 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

These things always trend south, I’d imagine a lot of the Midlands, based on history, especially Birmingham north will stay dry Thursday and end with a sleety mix tomorrow. These are my low expectations, keep them and you will never be disappointed by nothing.

If you are to take a look at the mid range models this morning and the fact we are heading into February, we could really do by taking this chance this week to get some accumulating snow.

Certainly often seems to be the case. No doubt London will see a good dumping, again. Funny how they see far more snow now I no longer live there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
12 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Certainly often seems to be the case. No doubt London will see a good dumping, again. Funny how they see far more snow now I no longer live there.

Same here!

Posted

Beautiful but freezing day.

20190128_133107.jpg

Posted
4 minutes ago, Storme said:

20190128_133107.jpg

Indded it is cold  when the wind blows it cuts straight through you.  Anyway the UKMO  UKV models looks ok for the Midlands Tuesday  a nice covering i would have thought 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Storme said:

20190128_133107.jpg

yes, it looks beautiful from my office window in downtown Melton Mowbray! But just nipped out for lunch and boy is it cold. My home weather station currently reporting 4.8°C, 1003mb with a feels like of 1°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
26 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

agree, south is the trend, not optimistic for Thursday, it's a W Midlands event

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

This is why i hate looking at the mod thread when it comes to these snow events everything is to far north or to.far south!! Hope for once coventry is in a good place for some.snow

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

If im honest i think it will still track a little North  still think  Keele could be in the sweet spot   however time will tell.

Posted
9 minutes ago, weirpig said:

If im honest i think it will still track a little North  still think  Keele could be in the sweet spot   however time will tell.

Working around Newcastle I'd be happy with that. Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter

These events always trend further south akin to the Dec 17 event where all of midlands was the sweet spot and were predicted 10cm widely only for the main bulk of the precip to end up south of our region and central southern England and we got about 6cm. Not expecting much from Thursdays event tbh. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Vmistry said:

These events always trend further south akin to the Dec 17 event where all of midlands was the sweet spot and were predicted 10cm widely only for the main bulk of the precip to end up south of our region and central southern England and we got about 6cm. Not expecting much from Thursdays event tbh. 

Yes usually  they do tend to trend South.  Dec was ideal for here  we really hit the jackpot  Thursdays  could be in a similar postion  just got a nagging feeling it will be slightly further North   But to be honest it could end up anywhere. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Yes usually  they do tend to trend South.  Dec was ideal for here  we really hit the jackpot  Thursdays  could be in a similar postion  just got a nagging feeling it will be slightly further North   But to be honest it could end up anywhere. 

Lol the last time Leicester got 10cm was on 4th feb 2012. Such a good event, constant heavy snow from 4pm till about 11pm. West Mids tend to do good from thursdays kind of setup though

Edited by Vmistry

Posted

I am down on the Worcester/Gloucester Border, pretty much as far SW as you can get in the Midlands. I am hopeful to see something the next few days but as others have already mentioned, keep your expectations low and hope to be surprised.

Currently GFS is showing more Sleet than anything else, I would rather nothing than hours of horrid sleet!

Posted

The one and only positive of this system is that it's not moving in to a large area of high pressure to the north or east. As has been the case during some previous battleground events, it should mean that it has the potential and a bit more oomph than normal to get further north. I'd not be surprised if Manchester down towards Crewe and Stoke stay completely dry. 

However, with that being said, even with tomorrow's sleety/rain mix for the most of us at regular height I'd be very disgruntled not to see at least a think sugar dusting at some point this week. Keeping in mind that there is a small chance of a fleeting shower from the NW at some point. That's another disappointing thing about this week, I was hoping for a Cheshire gap streamer at some point, but bar the odd fleeting shower there is nothing organised appearing at all. 

6 weeks of snow chances left to go and at this point we need something special to rescue any good memories from this huge let down of a winter so far.

Posted
52 minutes ago, shezale said:

This is why i hate looking at the mod thread when it comes to these snow events everything is to far north or to.far south!! Hope for once coventry is in a good place for some.snow

I travelled up to coventry last december and got snowed in good depths there

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowhope said:

I am down on the Worcester/Gloucester Border, pretty much as far SW as you can get in the Midlands. I am hopeful to see something the next few days but as others have already mentioned, keep your expectations low and hope to be surprised.

Currently GFS is showing more Sleet than anything else, I would rather nothing than hours of horrid sleet!

Over the past 24 hours the Met Office not-a-forecast has steadily shifted from snow to a rain/sleet event for this side of the hill .....  I'm not expecting much at all now, though the Cotswolds may seeing something.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

I travelled up to coventry last december and got snowed in good depths there

12cms december 2017 followed by 10cms over a few days in march 2018 last winter was really good. 

A repeat of december 2017 would.do very nicely 

Posted

Is Thursday’s snow potential looking bigger/better than tomorrow’s for the Midlands? 

BBC weather currently showing snow right from Thursday morning all the way through to Friday night. Subject to change many times of course before we get to then. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Is Thursday’s snow potential looking bigger/better than tomorrow’s for the Midlands? 

BBC weather currently showing snow right from Thursday morning all the way through to Friday night. Subject to change many times of course before we get to then. 

I think it just depends on how far North, but potentially yes.

Hopefully Leicestershire will see some decent snowfall