Straight from summer to mid winter this year   :cold-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 hour ago, cyclonic happiness said:

A good frost here this morning (again!)  minus 1.4'c   

Straight from summer to mid winter this year   :cold-emoji:

My low of the season so far with an overnight  -3.1C

I think it is my 3rd frost with one at +0.1C.

Good start to the year..

MIA

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

3 air frosts here in October equalled the record set in 1993. Being close to a hill top this site is not noted for early or late frosts as they tend to be associated with calm, clear anticylonic conditions when all the cold air drains away into the valleys.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

A Certain MIA won October’s CET comp....congrats

I was 0.1c off.....I’m very happy with my attempt

Posted
9 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Been a few frosts here, and the earliest snow I’ve seen in 10 years. Not a lot of wintriness in the outlook though.

Matt..

Another frost here this morning 

Down to -1.7C at 05:00.  Didn't get the minimum due to a reset failure.

Now at 0.1C with clear sky and no wind.

That's 4 frosts and a near miss so far here in the middle of Solihull

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

After Thursday's largely meh conditions, Friday was a very pleasant day here. After a slight frost (min -0.2 °C) temperatures rose to 9.7 °C in the afternoon. While high cloud was encroaching by the time the sun started to set, the bulk of the day saw clear blue skies and light winds. Might be quite a while before another day as nice as this here, or even another air frost!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

After Thursday's largely meh conditions, Friday was a very pleasant day here. After a slight frost (min -0.2 °C) temperatures rose to 9.7 °C in the afternoon. While high cloud was encroaching by the time the sun started to set, the bulk of the day saw clear blue skies and light winds. Might be quite a while before another day as nice as this here, or even another air frost!

Another Dave! high cloud, oscar hitting us Sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

What a grotty day today. Not actually raining, but so gloomy that I've had the lights on throughout the day. "At least it will be mild" of course (currently 12.9 °C), but this is the sort of thing that brings back bad memories of November 2015. I consoled myself earlier by looking at a few photos online from that remarkable cold snap at the end of October 2008, when snow lay in the fields near Birmingham Airport for 2-3 days. Not really relevant to now, I know!

Posted
1 hour ago, Arctic Hare said:

What a grotty day today. Not actually raining, but so gloomy that I've had the lights on throughout the day. "At least it will be mild" of course (currently 12.9 °C), but this is the sort of thing that brings back bad memories of November 2015. I consoled myself earlier by looking at a few photos online from that remarkable cold snap at the end of October 2008, when snow lay in the fields near Birmingham Airport for 2-3 days. Not really relevant to now, I know!

Disagree Dave, not grotty, decent day, bit of sun, and warm, grotty is horrendous rain like tomorrow

Posted

Anyone else having the very heavy rain that has been on and off, since about 10:00 this morning?.

I have recorded 11.7 mms in that time and 16.9mms in the last 12 hours.

Still quite mild though.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
37 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Anyone else having the very heavy rain that has been on and off, since about 10:00 this morning?.

I have recorded 11.7 mms in that time and 16.9mms in the last 12 hours.

Still quite mild though.

MIA

Yes very heavy rain here currently and so dark out I have had to put the lights on. 

13.8mm so far with temp 9.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
21 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Yes very heavy rain here currently and so dark out I have had to put the lights on. 

13.8mm so far with temp 9.4c.

Blimey!. Nothing like that here. It's raining but only about 4 mm since 0900.

• Like 1

Posted

Utterly hideous weather. I nearly drowned on the way to work this morning, and people actually like this mild rubbish. Unbelievable.

Posted
4 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Utterly hideous weather. I nearly drowned on the way to work this morning, and people actually like this mild rubbish. Unbelievable.

mild is fine as it's only 7th Nov, yes you're a bit higher, hopefully cold setups will happen say from 23rd ish, when southern low level snow can happen

Posted

BBC yesterday had us for sunshine all the way today......what the hell!!! ...It’s bloody hammering down here ☔

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

BBC yesterday had us for sunshine all the way today......what the hell!!! ...It’s bloody hammering down here ☔

DWW...

As you write it,,,, the sun comes out!

Had 22mms of rain now in the last 24 hours. 

Temperature is at 10.3C though it could increase with a bit of sunshine.

MIA

Posted
2 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

DWW...

As you write it,,,, the sun comes out!

Had 22mms of rain now in the last 24 hours. 

Temperature is at 10.3C though it could increase with a bit of sunshine.

MIA

Yeah same here ☀️ yes we have had a fair bit, yesterday there was flooding on the Cov rd by the airport ....anyway I could do with a little sunshine today, got things to do outside

Posted
30 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Yeah same here ☀️ yes we have had a fair bit, yesterday there was flooding on the Cov rd by the airport ....anyway I could do with a little sunshine today, got things to do outside

Just gone dull and the rain starting again.

Same with me about getting out, the pond (and garden) are covered in leaves. Also the bottom hedge needs trimming. 

The problem with leaves on the pond is that it blocks the waterfall and gravity outlet pipes.

May have to go out anyway.

(now heavy again, and it looks very showery).

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

Been a showery weekend with about 10:00 mms of rain here, taking me up to 38.1mms so far this month.

Blue skies in evidence this afternoon, but with light winds the temperature is not dropping quickly  (5.2C) after a max of 11.0C.i

Speaking of blue skies do I see  (the old song), I've been watching with more than  a passing interest the MAD thread (now officially called the search for cold!

My word - it looks as if it could happen. !!!

:whistling: :cold::oldgood::bomb::bomb::cold::cold:       :oops:

Right here's the count down 10

MIA

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Been a showery weekend with about 10:00 mms of rain here, taking me up to 38.1mms so far this month.

Blue skies in evidence this afternoon, but with light winds the temperature is not dropping quickly  (5.2C) after a max of 11.0C.i

Speaking of blue skies do I see  (the old song), I've been watching with more than  a passing interest the MAD thread (now officially called the search for cold!

My word - it looks as if it could happen. !!!

Right here's the count down 10

MIA

Yes it certainly could happen MIA, hopefully very interesting times ahead in the THFC thread

But for now I’ll have to get my shorts back out, 16c to 17c this week in parts of the UK ...just barmy  but then again if I remember early November 2010 was very mild and we all know what happened back then ❄️ :cold: ❄️.....so I’m with ya....10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
18 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

but then again if I remember early November 2010 was very mild and we all know what happened back then ❄️ :cold: ❄️

This always raises a wry smile for me... I lived in Edinburgh then, which has its own totally separate climate. Dozens of times a year the entire UK is bathed in sunshine, except Edinburgh which has one day of sun followed by three days of thick white clammy white 'haar', the old sea-mist... and when the rest of the country has rain, Edinburgh is dry, or vice versa...

We didn't have ANY snow in the winter of 2009-10 which saw that famed satellite photo of a white UK - if you look closely, yep, that little green dot was Edinburgh, snowless...! A few flakes fell but landed on sopping wet ground and melted on contact... 

Meanwhile, Nov 2010, yes, the whole of the UK got snow - but Edinburgh kept on having snow. It snowed every single day for about six weeks. I stopped bothering to measure it at 20 inches! the number of mornings I got up and had 4-6 inches again to shovel or sweep out of the front path and off the birdbath (we got clever after a few days and took to sweeping the birdbath empty at twilight - as it was we had to use the kettle to thaw the ice to re-fill it 2-3 times a day). 
That was the year everyone sneered when the Army had to be called in to clear the pavements - but it wasn't a bit of snow: it was 8-10 inches of compacted trodden snow built up over weeks and weeks. The buses stopped for huge swathes of the city. The post-boxes were officially sealed up as the Royal Mail was unable to get to them to collect post (although the brilliant Parcels deport near my folks' house kept on delivering...). Amazon, Sainsbury's, Tesco, all stopped accepting online orders for all of Scotland, before Christmas, thanks for that, guys. 
It genuinely was Snowmageddon - and it had happened my first winter in Edinburgh in 1979-80, aged ten... but the rest of Britain only had the first bit of snow, not the astonishing continuing snow...

By the way - if ever you do get six weeks of snow, be prepared for surprisingly low heating bills. Twenty inches of snow on the roof makes a wonderful layer of extra insulation!

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely mild dry day here Temp 12C.

No real change today..

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Was a brief shower here recently, but otherwise been dry. Did feel pleasant out in the sun. 

There was some interesting cloud structures of the shower when walking through Sheldon Country Park. 

959E8C5E-AF58-4A8C-B948-2E9276F8D63E.thumb.jpeg.302ee944018517bfc2fddf7391bbf507.jpeg

BB6A22EB-9E9D-49E4-B821-8DA1C527DAA0.thumb.jpeg.246061cfe85bf1c580c70edc32185a19.jpeg

18FF1107-888F-4A70-A4E2-7A3EA54BD31D.thumb.jpeg.1fa3c9130355969a7819dde1dfbe6d9f.jpeg

CD96AEF5-AC1A-420B-8175-051AE8BC2AE7.thumb.jpeg.e75c6eb598f092108cafe4bbe428bc9a.jpeg

184A14DC-F402-489B-A6BF-CADFFC8EDC2C.thumb.jpeg.82f6786f973a4f792b495774bf4da6c0.jpeg

• Like 4