Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

5 years ago today we had blizzards and drifts up to the bedroom window sills, A nice Spring day here today with light winds and sunny spells. Big drifts still persist under the walls and in hollows.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Snow is looking less and less likely now over the Easter weekend looking at the three big runners currently, rain however is - sorry for those who are waiting for one more drop of the white stuff.

Posted

A day of complete nothingness weather wise. Completely grey sky, no wind and average temperature. Sleep inducing.

Posted
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 20:29, Higher Ground said:

Even the biggest drifts didn't quite make it until the second Beast From The East here - though it was a close call, just a couple of days. But then again you had the Pest From The West to help tide you over, from what I remember...

Late feb drifts somewhat protected from last weeks easterly drifts.

Will definitely last until april now,with the next cold snap end of the month.

A nice cool dry calm day today.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Well it's looking like another cold and snowy spell is starting to look less likely now. From a selfish point of view I'm kind of glad as, as I said before I'd hate to miss out when I'm away although such a spell next week and the Easter weekend would have been nice before then, though this is looking a quite a bit less likely now, though not necessarily completely out of the question. If I wasn't going away though I don't think I'd be very fussed either way by this point as we've had a good Winter/early Spring already and I'd be quite content for average to above average temperatures to come along now. As I said before its just a big dumping of snow I wouldn't want to miss out on but if it isn't to happen between now and the 5th April at the latest I don't wish it at all. Though I wouldn't mind from the 14th onwards :D, though by then hoping for snow is obviously even less likely than now. Whatever happens though Summer is what were heading towards now we're past the Vernal equinox and lets hope for a decent one and once that's out of the way we can hope for another (hopefully better still) cold and snowy Winter again towards the end of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
10 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Well it's looking like another cold and snowy spell is starting to look less likely now. From a selfish point of view I'm kind of glad as, as I said before I'd hate to miss out when I'm away although such a spell next week and the Easter weekend would have been nice before then, though this is looking a quite a bit less likely now, though not necessarily completely out of the question. If I wasn't going away though I don't think I'd be very fussed either way by this point as we've had a good Winter/early Spring already and I'd be quite content for average to above average temperatures to come along now. As I said before its just a big dumping of snow I wouldn't want to miss out on but if it isn't to happen between now and the 5th April at the latest I don't wish it at all. Though I wouldn't mind from the 14th onwards :D, though by then hoping for snow is obviously even less likely than now. Whatever happens though Summer is what were heading towards now we're past the Vernal equinox and lets hope for a decent one and once that's out of the way we can hope for another (hopefully better still) cold and snowy Winter again towards the end of the year.

Today is the day (day 5) that the models will finally get the correct handle on the end of the week.

As I suggested 2-3 days back, the models have trended milder and I did indicate that this may happen.

Now comes the crunch. 

The first models (ICON) and GFS on the most recent runs (06Z) are showing colder.

This afternoons runs will be the decider.

GFS in particular is now seeing the high to the north pushing down into the North of the North Sea.

IF that is the correct trend it will get interesting for us. (again!)

MIA 

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Today is the day (day 5) that the models will finally get the correct handle on the end of the week.

As I suggested 2-3 days back, the models have trended milder and I did indicate that this may happen.

Now comes the crunch. 

The first models (ICON) and GFS on the most recent runs (06Z) are showing colder.

GFS in particular is now seeing the high to the north pushing down into the North of the North Sea.

MIA 

Do you think this will be during the week ahead and Easter weekend though? As I say I'd rather it wasn't so interesting much beyond that. I'm out of the country from the 6th to 13th and wouldn't want to miss out on anything spectacularly cold and snowy during that period, as selfish as that seems (if it was to be though good luck to you all). If for the Easter weekend and up to the 5th it is to happen though, I say bring it on :D. As I've also mentioned before its also my birthday on the 30th and not so long ago there looked a good chance of then been cold and possibly snowy. Would make a great birthday present if it was, though that has started to look more doubtful lately. I'll just have to hope things quickly turn back round again for then. :good:

Edit: Actually rereading your post it seems it is the period next weekend you're referring to.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
50 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Now comes the crunch. 

MIA 

The last grasp for cold and snow MIA.... Member 17 is showing cold for Easter.

like you mentioned the high pushes down into the North Sea and drags the cold air back into the UK :good:

Posted
23 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

The last grasp for cold and snow MIA.... Member 17 is showing cold for Easter.

like you mentioned the high pushes down into the North Sea and drags the cold air back into the UK :good:

ENS no17 06Z        http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=6&code=17&mode=0&carte=0

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted

What a lovely day. Light winds and strong spring sunshine. Just a bit chilly, and cumulus cloud 'bubbling up'. A 10.5 mile walk ?☀

B51FE75F-904C-4A0F-B388-3C367F0346A6.jpeg

769E8748-415E-4B7F-8367-F51FE8E276C0.jpeg

EB98E2AE-C862-4FCA-A7F0-221329F3FBA1.jpeg

ACC0237F-7C75-45F7-A3F9-27F4677A4DB5.jpeg

E0BA9603-B708-43AF-A42D-08B5481A3AFE.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

As usual cold bias dog biscuits. Where is this snow now eh?

Lol  Quite. Its  Been shown up this winter  regrding amounts.  However on the Plus side GFS shows an amazing amount of precipitation around for the 3rd   just a shame its rain. 

198-777UK.GIF?26-6

Posted
25 minutes ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

Like any run 6z 12z 18z 0z, it's just one one and that's why we make comments on them.

6z ens member 08 shows an early signs of a Spanish plume.....Make comment on that...Bet that wont be there on the next run  eh?

gens-8-0-300_hxv6.pnggens-8-1-264_qwy1.png

Posted

Why can that bloke still quote me after I added them to my ignore list?

Great prediction of there being very little snow the other week from you.

I was merely commenting on model output. Never made a prediction like you did. 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Hi guys..

Two of the big three turn colder again for Wednesday and the weekend.

We could still see flakes even on Wednesday!! Looks like it could be wet right thru the weekend. Cold enough for snow at times? 

Awaiting the ECM for confirmation.

MIA

Posted
5 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Hi guys..

Two of the big three turn colder again for Wednesday and the weekend.

We could still see flakes even on Wednesday!! Looks like it could be wet right thru the weekend. Cold enough for snow at times? 

Awaiting the ECM for confirmation.

MIA

Maybe by night. Not sure it will be cold enough by day. 

Cold air aloft + Strong spring sunshine = Big showers.

Posted
39 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Maybe by night. Not sure it will be cold enough by day. 

Cold air aloft + Strong spring sunshine = Big showers.

Matt..

ECMECM0-120.GIF.463d615850a3d516709dae07e6d now joins the bandwaggon towards cold. Down by about 1.5-2-0C uppers here.

Uppers of -4 to -6C  will do the trick and we are almost there now. 

Knocker has just posted on the short term that the wave on Wednesday is not tied down yet and areas with any high ground might expect to see snow.

These waves are always difficult to predict and if this one is 50miles further north we could have a surprise.

Not a prolonged outbreak, but maybe a gentle reminder of fond memories of the recent past..

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

You need to chill out. This was being shown in the forecast about 5/7 days ahead so was perfectly reasonable to speculate on it, yes it didn't come to fruition, but it wasn't a cold bias.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Staffordshire said:

You need to chill out. This was being shown in the forecast about 5/7 days ahead so was perfectly reasonable to speculate on it, yes it didn't come to fruition, but it wasn't a cold bias.

He won't like that :rofl:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Staffordshire said:

Yh but when the models show milder conditions 7 days away, everyone is commenting on how inaccurate they are and how anything can change but when they are showing cold, everyone jumps on the bandwagon and claims beast from the east 3.0 is on the way. Nonsense

Posted

"everyone jumps on the bandwagon and claims beast from the east 3.0 is on the way. Nonsense"

What do you reckon to this one then ....we've only got 6180h to wait:rofl:

cfs-0-6180_mgx6.png

EDIT.....Like Staffordshire mentioned...you need to lighten up :good: