Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

think we'll get another snow event this winter? certainly more likely now, than it would be in an Atlantic dominated January?

Think it will snow a few more times before mid April , don't know about another event , i.e. More than a covering , 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

Surprisingly nothing here in Coventry, I am right under the green/yellow blob for the past 30 minutes or so. Don't know whats going on.:sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Snowing lightly here in Bewdley. We seem to be right at the top end of this lot of snow, so I don't expect much compared with south Worcs/Gloucs etc.

Assuming it doesn't warm up before midnight, this has been an ice day here -- max -0.5 °C. We ended up with 10 cm of snow thanks to being in the firing line of one of those streamers. I wasn't expecting that at all! I've been converted back to a coldie/snowie for a little while -- 1cm of slush is not interesting, but 10 cm of powdery snow is! :)

I did get to the Severn Valley Railway gala yesterday and had a good time -- despite the bitter cold. They ran today as well, despite the snow, though with a few delays.

• Like 1

Posted

After the roads and pavements cleared through the day, we now have a good covering again with snow still falling in Evesham :)   Hadnt expected this! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

think we'll get another snow event this winter? certainly more likely now, than it would be in an Atlantic dominated January?

November least snowy month,yes I know that an autumn month cold hasn`t got going,jan do agree its not great atlantic dominated more nowadays,did have a good 4 or more inches around the 21st,next we`ll probably get a cold NWly.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

There has been little or no snow melt here today. Very icy on the pavements.

I do think we'll have another cold snap before winter/spring over. Probably a Northerly around Easter with wintry showers. Nothing substantial I don't think unless we get a slider.

Overall, a fantastic winter with the following events:

- 8th-10th December: special event with lying snow (8-10 inches) followed by another covering on 13th December evening

- 26th-27th December: 2 inches fell which stuck around for 2-3 days

-- 20-21 January: Falling snow most of the weekend with a dusting on the 20th. A temporary covering on the 21st

-6th February: dusting of snow followed by falling snow for much of the day. Didnt really settle apart from on the soil and bins but nice to see

26 February- 3 March: Beast 1. Great snow event on 1 and 2 March. Significant drifting 

17-18 March: Another great snow event. Average fall of about 4 inches with some drifting

This winter has probably surpassed 2012-13 and the best since December 2010?

Next event? Easter?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

At work in Birmingham and the snow seems thicker than in Stoke, was there more falling overnight? It seems to have melted less on paths and roads than up north too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Another day of laying snow.

Figures now at 23 with snow failing and 28 snow on the ground.

Last nights slight cover has now gone (sublimation?) as the temp has remained below zero, and any melt from yesterday is rock hard.

Current temp is +0.5C!!

DP is still -7.1C and the wind chill is -5.8C.

:cold:

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 hour ago, nobble said:

More sleet and snow after midnight tonight anyone ?

I don't think I'll bother staying up this event :hi:

hirlamuk-1-18-0_cjg4.pnghirlamuk-1-19-0_dcl0.png

Posted

I'D STAYING UP THIS ONE THOUGH.....WHITE EASTER :crazy:

gfseu-0-264_iqb8.pnggfs-1-288_vdg1.pnggfs-2-276_joq6.pnggfs-3-288_nir1.png

• Like 1

Posted

lol but that's well over ten days away, Dancer!! :laugh:

Still, nothing wrong with dreaming :cold:

I've only just realised that yesterday was officially an Ice Day here, with us only reaching a high of -0.2°C around midday. Of the eighteen Ice Days I have recorded since the end of 2004, yesterday was by far the latest in the season. Indeed, only two others fell outside the winter months - 28th November 2010 and of course 1st March 2018.

Bish

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

I've only just realised that yesterday was officially an Ice Day here, with us only reaching a high of -0.2°C around midday. Of the eighteen Ice Days I have recorded since the end of 2004, yesterday was by far the latest in the season. Indeed, only two others fell outside the winter months - 28th November 2010 and of course 1st March 2018.

Bish

Bish... "10 days" ....That's nothing, I was going to go through the CFS and look at Novembers output :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Bish... "10 days" ....That's nothing, I was going to go through the CFS and look at Novembers output :laugh:

Yh just looked at the 6z and wow that would bring alot of snow around Easter. Only 10 days to go so it's nailed on lol. But in all honesty I think we are in a period where luck is on our side.  Im dreaming of a White Easter lol. :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted

The snows rapidly thawing now :(. Oh well it's my birthday on the 30th and Easter on the 1st and judging by the GFS at least, looks like I might have a chance of a white birthday and Easter combo, here's hoping :D. I go on holiday for a week to Cyprus on the 6th and now I'm worried I might miss out on an event that week and judging by the CFS April looks like it could be a fairly cold month. Oh well maybe it'll still be cold with snow when I get back. I can't believe we're talking about the potential for cold and snow so far into Spring though, it just seems bizarre really. At this rate we won't even have a Spring. I'm starting to wonder whether we'll even get a Summer and that we might just go straight from Winter to Autumn into Winter again :D. Then again that might be a bit much even for me and I would like some pleasant Summer weather eventually actually as there'll come a point when below average temperatures won't deliver anything worthwhile except cloud, rain and muck :nonono: and I'd like some nice warm sunny days before September. After that temperatures can go below average again until Summer next year :D.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

The wind across N.LEICESTERSHIRE has nor dropped this afternoon but risen, the last hour has been really hard work and Iv'e called it a day for boating.

Lovely to see the sunshine and feel the warmth when out of the wind but bitterly cold in it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Very quick thaw today! On the bus back to Rushden from Oxford and the pace of the thaw has been astonishing. By 1pm, most of the inch of snow we saw over the weekend had vanished completely. Strength of the sun this time of year though!

Posted
4 hours ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Bish

Bish...

Yep WH has  just posted that the CET for yesterday was also negative (an ice day), on his figures.

Pretty cold .

Also I have been out working outside this morning. Snowdrifts all around, and ice where the snow had blown off, (whilst  the ground was still warm)  as the snow fell. I have never really seen that before in the UK.

Anyway it is still bitterly cold in the wind and I am concerned that increased winds are being reported from Leics,

Little snow melt was being recorded until about 11oclock after which most suddenly disappeared in the sun, but it still remains in the shade and where it had drifted..

Interestingly the temp was about 2.5C this morning, and is now about 4.5C,but the dewpoint (although at a max) is still only at -3.8C.                         So we are still under the continental air.   

Tonight   (if it remains clear) we could see a hard frost,  but the sat shows the change in airmass coming from the north east fairly soon, with a lot of cloud.

Welcome back 

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted

MIA, did you manage to measure the snow depth at any point yesterday? I intended to do so myself but it completely slipped my mind!

My guesstimate is that we ended up with about 5cm or so round these parts, perhaps slightly more.

Bish 

Posted
1 hour ago, Bishop Brennan said:

MIA, did you manage to measure the snow depth at any point yesterday? I intended to do so myself but it completely slipped my mind!

My guesstimate is that we ended up with about 5cm or so round these parts, perhaps slightly more.

Bish 

Bish

It was nothing exceptional in the end.. I measured anywhere between 3 - 10cms depending on the position on the lawn.

Certainly not as deep as 2 weeks ago, BUT on the golf course (where I worked  this morning, the course was closed for playing) the drifts where a lot deeper  (up to 2 - 3 feet). It was all a bit strange. The ice in particular was almost weird.

Anyway - we could be in for more over the Easter weekend.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

What's been so nice about this winter here in N Worcs has been having December's huge snowfall in the bank, so the usual "Are we going to get anything this winter?" worries were absent. As such, I didn't mind too much that January was uninspiring. The two late-season events have made this the best winter in years. Not sure when to compare it to, really -- it beats 2013 for sure. Nov/Dec 2010 was amazing of course, but not a lot happened after the post-Christmas thaw.

I know I've said this before and recanted, but: warm weather now, please. Doesn't look like I'll get it for a while, but never mind. Only interested in snow now if it's from a howling Siberian easterly. I've been spoiled! :p

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Bish 

We had about 8cm measured on a table at school that is protected from the wind, more than I thought we'd had really.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
50 minutes ago, bearing said:

We had about 8cm measured on a table at school that is protected from the wind, more than I thought we'd had really.

fast thaw though, very windy as well, must have felt -5 in the beast

Posted

Despite the thaw today it still felt really bitter out this afternoon. I went shopping to Walsall and on the way there and back I saw some pretty impressive drifts to the side of the Lichfield Road just after the railway bridge  heading towards Walsall on the embankment on the left. That strip seems particularly prone to them in these types of events I've noticed as there was still a fair bit there still from the last event last Sunday I noticed and back in 2013 too. Also hanging down from the bridge were some very long icicles above the opposite lane. 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A thaw taking place here but big drifts still remain and some lanes are only just passable.

20180319_181345.thumb.jpg.91b82dc63a8f23cbc4519beae16637a8.jpg

• Like 2