Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
27 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Look at the radar near London it's a developing situ plus someone tweeted John Hammond and he thinks it's gonna develop as it moves west 

Personally, I think the northern extent of the band will be Birmingham/Warwickshire but I hope i'm wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Looks like, at the moment anyway, that there is a more NW movement to it, unless my eyes are deceiving me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
2 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Looks like, at the moment anyway, that there is a more NW movement to it, unless my eyes are deceiving me.

DWW..

In an interesting session with Knocker at the moment over on the short range...

On his satellite/radar you can clearly see the clouds developing North West from London, and that it is developing quickly.

Lets wait for DWW.  It probably wont be much,,,, but one never knows at the moment!:D 

MIA

Posted
Just now, cyclonic happiness said:

Hmm?

It might get just this far north?

Screenshot_2018-03-18-15-53-32.png

Well all of a sudden latest hirlam model is showing outbreaks of patchy snow everywhere across the midlands this evening!!looks like a defo developing situation!!

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Personally, I think the northern extent of the band will be Birmingham/Warwickshire but I hope i'm wrong!

The development looks more north than I originally had in mind. 

Posted

West mids is the snow place to be these last 4 months ❄️❄️❄️❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms

Can't see that front making it to far North. Look dry with the odd flake blowing in the wind reminding us of the Great Winter/spring we have had. :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
12 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

DWW..

On his satellite/radar you can clearly see the clouds developing North West from London, and that it is developing quickly.

Lets wait for DWW.  It probably wont be much,,,, but one never knows at the moment!:D 

MIA

MIA, You may have a point, you can see clearly northward CLOUD movement in this sat image so who knows PPN may follow.......Yet another evening not modeled and not foretasted....Love it :D

image.thumb.png.d447dd0eb5bce32d0b3765da49c95d6d.pnganim_vis_uk.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
18 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

MIA, You may have a point, you can see clearly northward CLOUD movement in this sat image so who knows PPN may follow.......Yet another evening not modeled and not foretasted....Love it :D

image.thumb.png.d447dd0eb5bce32d0b3765da49c95d6d.pnganim_vis_uk.gif

DWW..

These sat pictures  work on the basis of the measurement of cold temps at cloud top heights.

This clearly shows that it is both  moving North (northwards westwards),and you can actually see the precipitation in the cloud tops developing (bubbling up) quite quickly in front of your eyes.  A very good find. It is always possible that a bit more moisture into the very cold air could always produce another band of snow. 

Let us see how it moves on.

It is also consistent with the temp continuing to fall. Now at -1.2C and DP at -5.1C.

As per my previous post... dropping temp at that time. ust indicate that something is happening upstream.

The other reason for optimism is that we have the very cold east wind ahead blowing in moisture at the low levels from off the North Sea.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

Posted

Very fine but persistent light snow  falling last 5 mins 

can easilly see on windscreens wich had been cleared of snow 

occasional larger flakes 

can it ? 

Will it ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Yep, snowing lightly here...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Gonna stick my kneck out I'm forever the optimist, I think we are gonna see a second event tonight that's snuck through the back door, you know you all love a back door entrance!!!

No one more so than you Shaun ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
55 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

DWW..

MIA

Yes Ive asked knocker his thought on this evening,

He emphasized how tricky it is to forecast snowfall evolution with tricky synoptics. As it is he would be surprised if those charts are a long way out. :)

•  

•  
Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

We've been out most of the afternoon, noticed that Rugeley, Hednesford and Cannock are worse than here.  Coming back from Cannock along the A34 there is a noticeable difference in cover somewhere between Huntington and Bednall.  Looking at the radar loop from Meteociel it looked like we should have had a good few hours of heavy stuff here in Stafford which didn't seem to materialise despite areas to our West looking like they did pretty well.

Don't get me wrong, we've had another reasonable event but not  close to folk that were in a yellow warning despite us being in an amber.  There must be some meteorological or even geographical reason behind it but it's beyond me.

Posted

As I’m a bit of a newbie here (joined during last ‘Beast’) can someone explain the Netweather forecast to me? 

We are not showing as having anymore snow tonight or tomorrow on any other forecasts. Yet the Netweather forecast shows us as 95% sure of snow each hour through tonight and until tomorrow lunch. 

What do they base their forecasts on? 

Edited by DerbyshireDales

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Went out mid afternoon and could barely get back down the lane an hour later which is very exposured to the strong Easterly. The wind seems to have finally died down now so the drifts have stopped reforming and growing. 

This chap is our local hero having been down four times today to keep on top of the drifting. A big thumbs up to him! :good:

IMG_20180318_164622986.thumb.jpg.87fe1a48227b1ad88342139bb9abf309.jpg

Edited by kar999
  • Like 3