Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Is this going to be the view come Sunday morning that is the question?

AD00F097-D41B-4EA5-ABC5-7305B387EF57.jpeg

Posted
9 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 17.03.2018 12 GMT Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 17.03.2018 18 GMT Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Su 18.03.2018 00 GMT Snow accu. EURO4 Su 18.03.2018 12 GMT

Humber streamer on EURO4

I think that looks good for here. So hard to pinpoint Stoke on these charts though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
58 minutes ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

Sensational snow depth charts from GFS and ICON. These charts are where the snow depth is at a maximum

image.png

image.png

Thankfully, this weekend and what looks like a 'non entity of a spring' are more than enough of a bonus for us cold folk who have lapped this winter up. 

Long term charts show another shot of cold air next week and then April looks predominantly below average....more winter gloves than gardening. 

Anyway, after feeding the mild troll. 

The fax charts don't look quite as good as they did the 2 days ago with the updated faxes showing a streamer over the humber and E Yorkshire rather than the wash - I expect the amber warning to be moved northwards. However, much like the other week, showers will form anywhere for a 36 hour period and everyone is with a shout of seeing falling snow. Accumulating? Not sure. Big depths? Very unlikely. 

Still an absolute bonus, it's been an amazing winter of accumulating snow, snow falling, frost, general cold weather  - plenty more of the latter to come before a quick transition from spring to summer at the end of April and into May. Only 4 months of possible warmth there before we are back into the winter hunt, come the end of September. 

It's been a great winter and my advice is for everyone to have A) Savioured it and B) Enjoy any falling snow you see this weekend. We need the transition of rain to snow to be quick tonight or the ground will be too wait for anything to settle. Best chance of settling snow comes from sun down tomorrow to sun rise Sunday. Just another light covering to see snow in the dark cover the streets again would be the cherry on the cake of a superb winter. 

To those wishing spring in....start your search for summer. It's going to be another chilly/predominantly cold/interspersed with milder spells 4-6 weeks or so.

Have a good one all!

• Like 1

Posted

well, sat out outside in back garden at 3.30, with just shirt no coat and had a coffee, whilst watching dogs runaround garden.

wow by 5.00 it had turned quite cold, definately not sitting outside weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms

Just light snow forecast here tomorrow morning. As the saying goes we are the meat between the sandwich. North and South looks like getting plastered why we get a sprinkling. Still time for changes as the beginning of March demonstrated. :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
40 minutes ago, bearing said:

Stafford Half Marathon has been postponed.

And Coventry, with snow and ice forecast across the region organisers decided it was too dangerous to allow the event to go ahead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

All this talk of snow and here in Shrewsbury we just had an epic hail storm and lightening and thunder! Close too. Crazy. 

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty much in the middle of amber warning area ...can't remember it going past yellow a couple of weeks ago despite receiving a relative pasting.

Surely we won't see a repeat of those crazy blizzard/drifting showers again so soon? They seem to be suggesting that. 

I'm a little surprised they've gone amber over yellow...especially with it being the weekend so less commuters/traffic about.

Edited by Lee Jones

Posted

As is tradition for me, just a quick good luck to the midlands, esp those areas that have missed out previously..

Sweet spot probably the peak district :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, SalopWatcher said:

All this talk of snow and here in Shrewsbury we just had an epic hail storm and lightening and thunder! Close too. Crazy. 

Heard a bang in Bomere Heath but no precipitation at all- lots of people seem to have heard it, only a few had the hail.....

Posted
2 hours ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

Sensational snow depth charts from GFS and ICON. These charts are where the snow depth is at a maximum

image.png

image.png

don't think 1 cm is sensational? ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I'll be at the Severn Valley Railway gala tomorrow -- an outdoor event that goes on from around 9am to 8pm. Could be very interesting! I'm virtually certain it will go ahead, though: I'm not expecting to see a massive amount of snow here, and I know from past experience that steam trains can cope with snow unless it's really deep. In fact, the equivalent gala in 2013 was slap bang in the middle of that cold spell, and although it was freezing and there was plenty of snow, the trains did run. (The SVR did cancel one of the Santa Special days in December 2017, but that was largely because families couldn't get to the station by car, not because the trains themselves couldn't cope.)

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
49 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Didn't see a single gritter while walking home, despite the Amber warning. Oh dear.

different over here in Derbyshire, gritters been out since 4.00pm, all over town and roads even side roads, using up winter supplies

Posted
37 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

As is tradition for me, just a quick good luck to the midlands, esp those areas that have missed out previously..

Sweet spot probably the peak district :)

hope so, live just 2.5 miles outside the eastern boundary, hoping for streamer to pile in the snow showers.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, marksp said:

different over here in Derbyshire, gritters been out since 4.00pm, all over town and roads even side roads, using up winter supplies

They're normally on the ball here but I haven't seen a single on today.

The high resolution models I rate highest all look very snowy here, and even more so for you. I see some trying to make out there will be little or no snow. Certainly not the case for some of us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
3 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Met office fax charts shows a streamer out in the north sea for 12pm tomorrow, incoming for the afternoon methinks in them strong gusty easterly winds

image.png.a073c2efbf92560d7bfc0345d78e2084.png

Updated fax charts, looks great for the North of our region :hi:

image.png.95c1c3a7e05ba273ab7518dab7b4fc80.png

• Like 2