Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

The UK is shocking when it comes to cold weather. We don't get severe cold very often, so we don't prepare for it. I sympathise with the elderly, vulnerable etc in such conditions. What annoys me is the people who whine about the great hardship of having to spend 5 minutes de-frosting their windscreen. and having to actually drive with care and stick to the speed limit, which they should be doing anyway. Seems to be the perfectly able bodied and relatively young who moan the most instead of knuckling down and getting on with it. Poor wee lambs don't like being put slightly out of their comfort zone. Totally incapable of making the most of it and looking around at the wonder of nature and wonderful variety of our weather/climate.

Give me freezing cold and snowy winters every time. Save the mild weather for when we can get real warmth (mid Spring to mid Autumn) and thunderstorms. Not 10 degrees (still chilly) and dreary. 

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 6

Posted

I've heard it might snow tonight. I'm not sure though, it felt quite chilly this afternoon, but walking home from work this evening it felt fairly mild I thought. Would be nice, though obviously it's unlikely to be as good as last week. I can wait for Spring though. I'm hoping that we get another cold and snowy spell this month though. I wouldn't mind having another white birthday either (March 30th) as I did in 2013. There was loads of snow on the ground still and I never imagined I'd see that before then.

I'm going to Cyprus on 6th April for a week for my sister's wedding so I wouldn't mind another snowy spell before then, as long as its over for then, both because if it's bad enough it could close the airport or I would feel a bit sad to be away for a major cold spell, so my view is March can be as cold and snowy as possible followed by a major warm up when April arrives. I don't mind cold returning when I get back though as snow as been known to be recorded as late as May or June even as it did in 1975. Though been as meteorological Summer starts then maybe that's a tad ambitious and for most I'd imagine unwelcome. But I'm odd in my desire for a 9 month Winter with only a 3 month Summery respite :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I too have heard something about snow, wonder how true this is

Posted

I'm not convinced we'll see much if any snow, but the Met Office have seen enough to put out a warning.

Posted
2 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Very true.. with your elevation odds on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
38 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Looking pretty good for some heavy snow in the North Midlands on higher ground, Birmingham might do ok.:)

12-574UK.gif

15-574UK.gif

15-780UK.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 minute ago, snowray said:

Looking pretty good for some heavy snow in the North Midlands on higher ground, Birmingham might do ok.:)

12-574UK.gif

15-574UK.gif

15-780UK.gif

Edit. I heard that there might be a weather warning out and just checked there is one now on the met office site.

Posted
19 minutes ago, snowray said:

12-574UK.gif

15-574UK.gif

15-780UK.gif

Much better HIRLAM much more widespread... given current obs I bet it will be more right.

Posted
2 hours ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

When this dude moans about milder weather no one cares. When I moan about cold weather everyone jumps on me. The cold bias is ridiculous

Probably the fact that MattStoke isnt trying to make people feel guilty about their weather preferences.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Probably the fact that MattStoke isnt trying to make people feel guilty about their weather preferences.

Aye. I haven't called people 'deluded 5 year olds'. I'm just a whingebag ?

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
20 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Much better HIRLAM much more widespread... given current obs I bet it will be more right.

Yes I make you right there, Hirlam have certainly been on the ball of late.

hirlam-1-13-0.png

• Like 1

Posted
On 06/03/2018 at 17:46, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Summer Sun? not sure if he is trolling the forum sometimes, but he is first in there if a model shows wet and windy, excites him 

Have you noticed how he starts the observations of the day at midnight nearly everyday?!

He even did it New Year's Day?! Whilst most up at that time are wishing or celebrating the New Year, he posted a new thread, lol!

You can tell what time that was posted by pressing quote of the first post and it says 00.00. 

Posted

Rain  not snow  ATM outside Ashbourne, but somebody  well west is getting it on the rain radar 

Edited by landslave
Word

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Sleet in Stoke before a transition to rain at around 5am. It really was throwing it down, proving the old snow shield has broken down since last week now it is RAIN! Flash looks to have a good covering and parts of the north getting heavy snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

GFS 00hrs hinting at a period of colder/snow mid month again, as did/does the ECMWF this morning also, winter it would appear is not over just yet, though this may change again in a few hours time to a period of very mild weather also, so winter & spring is holding their cards very close to their chest. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Certainly no snow here this morning 

Posted

2'C and raining. Snow across parts of North Wales, Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

A few blobs of sleet/wet snow here.