Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Ice coverage in the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2018/19

Posted

I prefer this view  - quite a large increase in Canada and there is quite a bit more expected further south. Colder than normal temperatures expected after the snowfalls suggest it won't all melt away either.

ims2018254_alaska.gif

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

Lucky Beggers

you mean very unlucky...freezing temps and blowing snow in the middle of September?..least i wont have to mow the lawn :drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

https://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_v3/ims_gif/ARCHIVE/EuAsia/2018/ims2018257_asiaeurope.gif

No change in sea ice but there has been some retreat in the snow cover.

Edited by Katrine Basso
Adding Information

Posted
2 hours ago, Katrine Basso said:

https://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_v3/ims_gif/ARCHIVE/EuAsia/2018/ims2018257_asiaeurope.gif

No change in sea ice but there has been some retreat in the snow cover.

Not in China though...

Well below 60°N (think S.A.I. ...)

Posted
Just now, coldwinter said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but the SAI correlation if for the last week of Sept at the earliest no?

Yes. It's technically the October SAI. However, an early start to the season can only help things along 

Posted
1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

Yes. It's technically the October SAI. However, an early start to the season can only help things along 

I'd rather there was little there until October, as the more there before then means there is less scope for larger gains. Snow cover is obviously linked with the pressure patterns, that's what is worth watching as we head through October. Be interesting to see how much blocking there is over the Taymyr peninsular and the barents/kara seas through October as Mr Murr has alluded too.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, coldwinter said:

I'd rather there was little there until October, as the more there before then means there is less scope for larger gains. Snow cover is obviously linked with the pressure patterns, that's what is worth watching as we head through October. Be interesting to see how much blocking there is over the Taymyr peninsular and the barents/kara seas through October as Mr Murr has alluded too.

Yes I agree about the larger gains point. What I'm really referring to is the suggestion that we may see recurring blocking weather patterns which could result in larger gains anyway through October. Early days yet but all we can do is watch and wait...

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

After two days of rising making me think we had hit minimum on the 11th, sea ice has fallen the past two days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

https://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_v3/ims_gif/ARCHIVE/EuAsia/2018/ims2018259_asiaeurope.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
1 hour ago, Aleman said:

Respite from record-breaking snow in Alberta. Next up according to forecasts - Iceland and Norway.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/rounds-of-snow-hit-alberta-below-seasonal-temperatures-snowiest-september-on-record-edmonton/111884

22cm of snow before the start of autumn in a place only as far north as Blackpool... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I'm still watching the ice out in the ESS. The other places that normally see early refreeze are either already covered in ice or has been open water since May so has a goodly cargo of heat to shed before it can refreeze?

With us in low Solar we should expect Northern atlantic blocking but how will the mangled Polar Night Jet interact with the polar Jet this year?

If we are seeing similar extent/area then it will all be down to the amount of energy we soaked up this year compared to last year?

The onset of the WAA into the high Arctic over winter, since the remarkable above freezing temps at the pole in December 2015, looks set to continue so if Nino keeps on forming then we might see even more energy make it way north this winter leading to further reductions in the 'Freezing Degree Days' plot so less ice thickening over winter. By Jan we will have a better idea as to how much we have lost over the bulk of winter so can begin to look toward melt season 2019.

The other thing to be mindful of is where the W.A.C.Cy snows will form this year?

Will it be NE Canada/U.S. and Eastern Eurasia again or will it rotate a few degrees East giving Bering a better chance of holding ice if high snowfall chills the ocean surface?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
38 minutes ago, username home said:

22cm of snow before the start of autumn in a place only as far north as Blackpool... 

i live in Edmonton such is the vagaries of the weather on the prairies it could easily be 30c next week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Paul Hudson, on Look North's weather forecast, has just indicated likely sleet on the heights of the Yorkshire Dales overnight. Be on the lookout for snow on the highest peaks of northern England.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1