Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Nick F

Storm & Convective Discussion - 7th August Onwards

Hall looks a bit looks an a it further West than forecast to me. These showers are the trigger .......

4D083A57-EBF6-4D20-9BF0-81E82B700CB2.jpeg

Here on planet boring it is 16.5°C and cloudy. There was even some drizzle earlier. We need our own thread for up here; actually no don’t bother because there would never be  anything  to post in it. 

:wallbash:

Edited by Chris.R

How far north is this band of precipitation expected to go? Any chance of us seeing anything in the East Mids? 

A few spots of convective rain not long ago from that mass that moved in off the channel but nothing much. 

Gone from clear skies to overcast in about 20 minutes, with rain approaching from the south. I can’t believe how quickly that changed. 

1 minute ago, Thunderstruck said:

Gone from clear skies to overcast in about 20 minutes, with rain approaching from the south. I can’t believe how quickly that changed. 

And it's really starting to feel a bit cooler, which is much needed!

• Like 1

Just stood out in the garden in swim shorts for a 'briefs' spell of rain.

I'll get my coat. Might need it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

How far north is this band of precipitation expected to go? Any chance of us seeing anything in the East Mids? 

My guess is East of a line from aisle of Weight up to Luton & Kings Lynn so not much for East Mids except maybe Far East - Peterborough way

8 minutes ago, snow raven said:

Speak for yourself, it needs to warm up. 

A lot of scruffy mid level Cu around currently not really amounting to much apart from a few spots of rain.

13 minutes ago, snow raven said:

Still feels very oppressive here in west London, despite the wind picking up and trying to rain. Going to be strange not being the 30s for the foreseeable after today.

2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Still feels very oppressive here in west London, despite the wind picking up and trying to rain. Going to be strange not being the 30s for the foreseeable after today.

I'm so glad I don't live in London anymore, it's been to hot for me even down here, it's only hit just over 30 a couple of times. Don't think I could have coped with more.

8 minutes ago, Nick F said:

It's certainly feeling a lot cooler in our non-air conditioned office since this morning.  I must confess, I haven't ventured out this afternoon though, so could well still be oppressive out side (although I do hope not!)

Can see that stuff over Cherbourg being a Kent clipper and following a similar path to that huge May 2017 storm that hit SE Kent. In fact, it almost looks like an exact carbon copy thus far. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 3

yep, everything propogating east - can see that lot over Jersey scraping the South East Corner later.

Penny sized drops of rain here. Did I hear a distant rumble.

3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

yep, everything propogating east - can see that lot over Jersey scraping the South East Corner later.

Think often our bad luck in the past has been a result of the upper winds at 500hpa having too much Easterly component to them, today is an example of that! Frustrating.

The beauty of 2 weeks ago was that the upper winds were heading N/NW, therefore slamming the big storms right onto us. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

What little rain has fallen to the ground from these showers spreading NE has left a dirty orange/ brown film on the car window that wasn’t there earlier, presumably Sahara dust being rained out from atmosphere.

• Like 2

Turning in to an MCS?

2018-08-07.thumb.png.6c48b917950980522416cc0a02678ca8.png

• Like 3

32 Celsius in Peterborough, and with no lightning activity but rain in the south east currently isn't that a bad thing for a risk of storms later or will this not limit potential? going to travel east later

Edited by Neglectedchicken

41 minutes ago, Nick F said:

It'll be welcome, though!  Clouding over here - mainly altocumulus and cumulus congestus at present.

14 minutes ago, Nick F said:

What little rain has fallen to the ground from these showers spreading NE has left a dirty orange/ brown film on the car window that wasn’t there earlier, presumably Sahara dust being rained out from atmosphere.

Here you wouldn't even know it had rained. Everything is dry again for around the third time now.