Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 7th August Onwards

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
5 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Yeah, rain and wind has eased off now, its more or less still again, still shows storms in the forecast later

Hoping your storm comes down to me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Rapid developement's to my east.

DSC02070.thumb.JPG.3beb3d606ae8b1ed21f34757d64418ae.JPGDSC02071.thumb.JPG.84045f96326ef50dd212d1c0a5680b81.JPG

this ones heading for Lincoln.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Had torrential rain here in York for the last half an hour - we all know what prolonged torrential rain does to the streets of York 

Posted

Long time since I've seen skies this angry with cloud rapidly getting dragged upwards. Un/fortunately passing just east of here in Bourne but incredibly windy 

20180813_172446.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: NLCs and Thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Had torrential rain here in York for the last half an hour - we all know what prolonged torrential rain does to the streets of York 

Hot off the York Press

image.thumb.png.93c8e815c42dc1dc3611a9f0a0ed2a3b.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

The cell just south of me just made 3 rumbles of thunder but unfortunately its not heading north 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Now’t happening for me today, but I’ve just seen this little beauty over towards the Liverpool, Manchester area. :good:

E5A7F0BF-7016-474C-8216-20C83F928149.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Big shower developed suddenly and moved over us but no thunder from it: maybe it's too late in the day....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
4 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Saw some rotation on this cell which just passed to my SE with one rumble of thunder

i was waiting for it to drop a funnel but it didn't.

DSC02062.thumb.JPG.4aecdd4f7ef42dd4e0bc632c4d901c93.JPGDSC02063.thumb.JPG.e614aa0f5c5e66824bc4511866321deb.JPGDSC02064.thumb.JPG.4178e76369e0281931d7d7c3ac366edb.JPGDSC02066.thumb.JPG.46581a379808009bc9a052739bde450a.JPG

a nice Cb developing to my NE now but i don't think anything will happen this far west,all the action seems to be in the NE/E/SE of here.

DSC02068.thumb.JPG.2652beb2b201f8f3d3bcf83764a569b7.JPG

Definite wall cloud on that cell. Looks tornadic in nature with that strong inflow jet on the right, building into the wall cloud. Nice pics.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
5 hours ago, Neglectedchicken said:

Never seen a cloud so close to the ground

2A27A256-E0DF-43A5-B3B4-C3249779304C.png

That really does look like a large cone at least, if not a wedge! Pics can be deceiving of course, especially when the view is partially obscured but very interesting nonetheless. You say you saw signs of rotation?

Posted
9 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Definite wall cloud on that cell. Looks tornadic in nature with that strong inflow jet on the right, building into the wall cloud. Nice pics.

I was watching it for half an hour or so for it to drop,it was quiet dramatic and exiting to see it rotating and it would of been a third year running if it produced a funnel cloud,oh well maybe next time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 14 Aug 2018 - 05:59 UTC Wed 15 Aug 2018

ISSUED 08:05 UTC Tue 14 Aug 2018

ISSUED BY: Dan

Subtle forcing aloft with some marginal mid-level instability may be enough to produce a few isolated lightning strikes over Scotland this morning, and perhaps SW Ireland late tonight.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2018-08-14

• Thanks 1

Posted
On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:46, Allseasons-si said:

I was watching it for half an hour or so for it to drop,it was quiet dramatic and exiting to see it rotating and it would of been a third year running if it produced a funnel cloud,oh well maybe next time.

I would've loved to have seen that! You seem to be in a good spot for funnel clouds by the sound of it. Still chasing my first tornado!

Posted
1 minute ago, Windblade said:

I would've loved to have seen that! You seem to be in a good spot for funnel clouds by the sound of it. Still chasing my first tornado!

It seemed to have slipped my mind because i have seen more than i suggested that i did in my earlier post

April 2016 on the borders of Scotland

DSC00366.thumb.JPG.a59d964c87423a984a44a54cab2ca79e.JPG

a wedge nr Scunthorpe and a funnel over my house

DSC01327.thumb.JPG.be36705b53ac08fedb64d583ad59c542.JPGDSC01421.thumb.JPG.06fd979ba30d7149cee5de53bbb8bd9f.JPG

earlier this year on the way to work,think it was may

DSC01927.thumb.JPG.25b4040d84caccc1d3fca48ffc1e7d72.JPG

now i have seemed to of lost some footage of a funnel(again of last year)of which i posted in the storm and convective thread last year and i was just a quarter of a mile up the road,i will have to try and find it,i did take some footage and pics of it,i will have a browse around tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Wed 15 Aug 2018 - 05:59 UTC Thu 16 Aug 2018

ISSUED 21:11 UTC Tue 14 Aug 2018

Subtle forcing aloft may be enough to release pockets of marginal mid-level instability, and hence a risk of isolated lightning, along the cold front as it continues to slide SE-wards from Irish Sea / NW Wales / N England initially to Lincs - Dorset by Thursday morning. Most areas of England and Wales will remain lightning-free, however. Strong deep layer shear could produce some elements of line convection at times.

Some model guidance suggests the potential for showery rain and perhaps some embedded isolated lightning during Wednesday evening over southern Scotland, running NE-wards across eastern Scotland and out to the North Sea.

Otherwise the main risk of lightning during this forecast period will be western Scotland (Highlands and islands) and western portions of Ireland, especially later on Wednesday night as steepening lapse rates overspread the area courtesy of cold air aloft associated with an upper trough, atop warm SSTs. Skinny CAPE, weakening shear and limited convective depth prevents an upgrade to SLGT for now.

• Thanks 2

Posted

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 16 Aug 2018 - 05:59 UTC Fri 17 Aug 2018

ISSUED 18:28 UTC Wed 15 Aug 2018

A cold front will continue to slide southeastwards across the Midlands, southern and eastern England on Thursday - some weak mid-level instability and forcing aloft may produce an isolated lightning strike on the leading edge, but the risk is considered too low to warrant any threat levels.

The cold front will likely exhibit split front characteristics, with most of the frontal rain from medium/high level cloud, followed by a narrow shallow moist zone before the surface front moves through (marked by a change of dewpoint from 15-16C to 7-8C). A dry intrusion atop this shallow moist layer, in a strongly-sheared environment, may allow a few showers to develop, perhaps organised into line segments. However, the depth of this convection will likely be too shallow for lightning activity - but may be accompanied by some gusty winds and rather turbulent, low-hanging cloud bases.

Elsewhere a much better environment exists for lightning activity, as an upper trough swings progressively eastwards. Cold air aloft atop warm SSTs and diurnal heating inland will steepen lapse rates and generate 300-800 J/kg CAPE. Numerous showers and a few thunderstorms are expected across central and northern parts of the British Isles, some capable of producing small hail and gusty winds. The SLGT may need extending into eastern parts of the Republic of Ireland if the forecast capping at 600mb proves to be weaker.

http://convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2018-08-16

• Thanks 1

Posted
23 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

It seemed to have slipped my mind because i have seen more than i suggested that i did in my earlier post

April 2016 on the borders of Scotland

DSC00366.thumb.JPG.a59d964c87423a984a44a54cab2ca79e.JPG

a wedge nr Scunthorpe and a funnel over my house

DSC01327.thumb.JPG.be36705b53ac08fedb64d583ad59c542.JPGDSC01421.thumb.JPG.06fd979ba30d7149cee5de53bbb8bd9f.JPG

earlier this year on the way to work,think it was may

DSC01927.thumb.JPG.25b4040d84caccc1d3fca48ffc1e7d72.JPG

now i have seemed to of lost some footage of a funnel(again of last year)of which i posted in the storm and convective thread last year and i was just a quarter of a mile up the road,i will have to try and find it,i did take some footage and pics of it,i will have a browse around tomorrow.

Incredible! I'm jealous! Great finds my friend and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1