Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 7th August Onwards

Nick F

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Absolutley biblical rainfall rates running SE of the capital. A good 10 minutes thundery rain  that turned the streets into rivers.

A chorus of emergency service sirens as soon as the rain stopped.

Decent flashes and rumbles too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Sunny now and dry. Risk has moved East. Next chance up here on Sunday/Saturday night. What a storm that was this morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Thunder heard in Halesowen

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Visible flashes from the CC`s in Halesowen now......heading for S Brum

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Been too much cloud so far here, blocking the sun from getting to work. Hopefully now this residual muck clears, the mid afternoon will help to fire that stuff exiting wales later on. Looks good further south though, and the usual Lincolnshire storm magnet getting going. 

Looks like we are heading for direct hit, suns out now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Can hear the thunder from here , sounds elevated as it doesn't have the deep booming rolls , more tinny like the sub has been turned off :laugh:

Can't complain second thunder day this week :good:

Edited by Mr_ Nexus
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective

Well that was typical.get a shower and as it moved away it became electrified still booming away to the east off rugby probabout 20 odd miles away now.some nice cc and cg but in frequent.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Nice crisp line of convection seen looking north from here near Croydon associated with line of storms over N London

3BE436D0-2E03-4472-A0E8-891BEDF9FBE1.thumb.jpeg.12be263cceb8d7150b99addf726800cd.jpeg4B5587E0-4990-41F2-9AA0-555073B571F3.thumb.png.e88c048298d86a92d3564a67867cb287.png

Pano of the line of storms that moved through London area earlier looking north and west from local park view point before they came through.

83E87671-1246-49AF-894B-32876729D94A.thumb.jpeg.d50aadb60dd7a2b80cf7cf0dfcbb43e2.jpeg

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
4 minutes ago, Neglectedchicken said:

Very dark clouds approaching

Think the worst of it will hit Huntingdon onto Cambridge. Direct westerlies usually result in showers breaking up over rockingham forest area and the main events following the A14 corridor. Seen it hundreds of times. We do better from SW’erlies or slightly North of West. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
20 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Think the worst of it will hit Huntingdon onto Cambridge. Direct westerlies usually result in showers breaking up over rockingham forest area and the main events following the A14 corridor. Seen it hundreds of times. We do better from SW’erlies or slightly North of West. 

Slight thunder heard near Whittlesey direction

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

happy to report I can hear thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

So last night I was in Cowden (south of Sevenoaks). As the sun was setting the western sky turned absolutely black and started lighting up with orange IC lightning and thunder. This continued for well over an hour (I have some pics of the storm approaching which I'll try and upload when I get a minute). Later that night, after 1pm I was doing a bit of stargazing as the annual persid meteor shower gets going this weekend and not only saw two shooting stars (one was pure white, the other bright orange complete with tail), but there was constant distant lightning flashes to my south coming from two cells, one in brighton and another in eastbourne according to radar. Half an hour later the brighton one had died but the eastbourne one took over. I could see the anvil even from that far away (about 60 miles) and could see the whole thing lighting up. The anvil was absolutely huge and was more of a mushroom cloud shape than a traditional/typical anvil. Too far away to hear any thunder, but the light show was spectacular - I could even still see it when I got home (another 30 miles further away ) at 2.30am. Must've been one hell of a storm.

We also got a storm this afternoon at 2.30pm. It didn't come right over but brushed past to my west heading north. Had a few flashes and some nice rumbles, torrential rain too which lasted about 25 mins. It's been a good 24 hours! 

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

It is the most rain, wind and the loudest thunder Thurrock has for several months. The rain started early and has kept raining with hardly any interruptions. It has really been a memorable day.

Edited by Katrine Basso
Unfinished

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Awesome looking clouds over London way.

Oddly according to radar should have very heavy rain right now, but hasn't rained for about 45minutes now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
32 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Awesome looking clouds over London way.

Oddly according to radar should have very heavy rain right now, but hasn't rained for about 45minutes now.

Can confirm, MASSIVE cell to my northwest (complete with HUGE cauliflowers and rapidly developing anvil) slowly drifting eastwards. Not showing on radar so no precip coming from it yet but I'd expect it to go bang imminently.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 15:41, SNOW_JOKE said:

This funnel-cloud appeared down the road from here, didn't see anything though other than noticing the heavy-rain shower.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/macclesfield-tornado-twister-stockport-pictures-15009716

I knew before even clicking on that link that I'd see the dreaded "Mini tornado" as the uk media continues to deny TORNADOS exist in this country.  "Mini" tornado my backside.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
21 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Can confirm, MASSIVE cell to my northwest (complete with HUGE cauliflowers and rapidly developing anvil) slowly drifting eastwards. Not showing on radar so no precip coming from it yet but I'd expect it to go bang imminently.

And I can see something huge to my Northeast. Looks like the Thames area is going to get hammered. 

Posted

Hope so!

Edit - Just had a look outside. That huge cell is now directly to my north so it's gonna track parallel to me but won't come over. Looks like it's heading directly east so on it's way to you Lauren, but I think you will miss out on it coming directly over too and like me you will see it track parallel to the north of your position from west to east. 

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Brief spell of torrential convective rain in Bexhill

Posted

Some more dark looking cells to my northwest slowly tracking east. Sky looks incredibly unstable, it's a great day for sky watching! Thought I saw a brief funnel coming from the nearest cell but difficult to be sure at this range. I'm gonna put it down to cheeky scud!

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, electric storms

good afternoon ladies and gents.

well the gardens well and truly got a soaking here in stockton.

very heavy rain, even some hail (around garden pea size) and a few decent cracks of thunder, never seen no lightning.

just went outside and seen this nice anvil...

20180810_185335.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Just enormous Cu outside. I can't get a picture that does it justice. I rarely see them this enourmous in the UK.