Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Was global warming already detected before 1980?

Sunny76

Posted

1980 seems to be a year that pops up often when people talk about increasing global temperatures. 

The United States experienced one of its hottest heatwaves during that year, yet the Uk had a very poor summer in comparison. 

How warm was Europe at the time? And was this period the start of warming across the planet? 

Posted

Funnily enough around this time my agronomist told me that Shell the oil company who also produced agrochemicals had given Mrs Thatcher evdence that  human activity was contributing to climate chang/global warming. I have never forgotten these remarks as it was the first time  I had heard the phrase global warming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

No idea personally as I was born in 1986, however you often hear that during the 1970s scientists talked about global cooling. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, danm said:

No idea personally as I was born in 1986, however you often hear that during the 1970s scientists talked about global cooling. 

Partly because, despite being warm here in the UK, 1976 was a cold year, globally? 

Some 'scientists' are still wittering about global cooling!

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, danm said:

I have heard that too - possibly due to a temporary dip in global temperatures around that time and speculation as to the origin of ice ages.

Also the Gulf Stream took a southward dip in the early 70's with further speculation that this would reduce the ameliorating effect on climate in NW Europe.

• Like 1

Posted

The big corporations are if anything causing any man made warming not man himself,they always have to blame the population for something.

Gulf stream slowdown,europe heading into a mini ice age.

Posted
7 hours ago, danm said:

Indeed into the early 80's. Some may remember late 70's/early 80's, not sure just when, Magnus Magnusson heading a BBC 2 programme standing on a map of Europe-Scandinavia with snowflakes falling and most contributors talkimg about the possibility of a 'mini' ice age.

Within 10 years it had become global warming and the then CE of the Met O managing to persuade Maggie Thatcher to stump up millions to enable UK Met Office to be the lead in research into this.

• Like 1

Posted

Anthroprogenic warming has been occurring since the 1960's in terms of a subtle background forcing. It's actually probable that human activity was having an impact before the 1960's. Natural cooling during these years was sufficient enough to dilute out a great deal of the warming produced from humans.

• Like 1

Posted

I heard that 1988 was the year that the media announced the concept of man made global warming. 

Posted
49 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I heard that 1988 was the year that the media announced the concept of man made global warming. 

The first I heard about Global warming was during the exceptionally mild winter of 1988/89, so 1988 sounds about correct.

• Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The term ‘greenhouse effect’ was used in 1984, but global warming was probably more commonly used in the late 80s. 

I went to a lecture at the open University, way back in December 1973, all about the Greenhouse Effect and various ways of obtaining 'Green' energy, as we inevitably run out of non-renewables...

And still the powers-that-be drag their heels!:help:

PS: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=greenhouse+effect+first+usage&rlz=1C1AVNE_enGB682GB682&oq=greenhouse+effect+first+usage&aqs=chrome..69i57.15711j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In 1979 a book came out called Ice Ages: Solving the Mystery, and if I remember rightly, while it suggested that the recent global cooling possibly hinted at the onset of the next ice age, human activity may override this and introduce a warming trend.  The majority of the established climate scientists believed in anthropogenic global warming but in the 1970s it was a hypothesis that as yet didn't have a great deal of observational evidence behind it.  The observational evidence however soon mounted with a succession of globally record warm years starting in 1981, although the warming trend didn't take hold in Britain until around 1988/89.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
16 hours ago, Don said:

The first I heard about Global warming was during the exceptionally mild winter of 1988/89, so 1988 sounds about correct.

Late 1987 I thought I first heard this that's when the weather changed after the hurricane in the SE,or great storm whatever.

1986 never heard anything about this and we had the coldest ever year which is true and things don`t make any sense we here about this subject in all.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Earth Changes Accelerate: What Is Causing These Record Heatwaves, Massive “Firenadoes”, Giant Dust Storms And Large Earthquakes ?

Major changes are happening to our planet, and the experts are groping for answers.  In recent days some have suggested that what we are witnessing is the natural progression of "man-made climate change", but that explanation has generally been received with a lot of skepticism.  Something truly dramatic appears to be happening to the globe, and it isn't just because the amount of carbon dioxide in the air suddenly reached some sort of magical "tipping point".  But without a doubt, temperatures are getting warmer.

When I first heard about this fire tornado, I was absolutely stunned.

I had never heard of a fire tornado anywhere near that size in the United States, and apparently the experts hadn't either...

So why is all of this happening?

Yes, the amount of carbon dioxide in the air is increasing, and it has been increasing for a very long time.  Ultimately, the amount that humans contribute to the overall level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is marginal, and even if we took the most extreme measures possible there is very little that we could do to significantly affect the balance.

And scientists assure us that our planet once had much, much higher levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere in the air then we do today, and our planet appeared to have thrived under those conditions.

But the narrative won't change.  The mainstream media will continue to tell us that the Earth changes that we are witnessing are due to global warming and that if we reverse course that we can go back to how things were before.

No, we can't go back, because the changes that are happening are way outside of our control.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/earth-changes-accelerate-what-is-causing-these-record-heatwaves-massive-firenadoes-giant-dust-storms-and-large-earthquakes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The above video is based on the climate change vs global warming debate.

Below is an abstract of a paper that examined the scientific literature of the 60s and 70s to see whether more studies suggested warming or cooling.

THE MYTH OF THE 1970s GLOBAL COOLING SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS
Climate science as we know it today did not exist in the 1960s and 1970s. The integrated enterprise embodied in the Nobel Prizewinning work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change existed then as separate threads of research pursued by isolated groups of scientists. Atmospheric chemists and modelers grappled with the measurement of changes in carbon dioxide and atmospheric gases, and the changes in climate that might result. Meanwhile, geologists and paleoclimate researchers tried to understand when Earth slipped into and out of ice ages, and why. An enduring popular myth suggests that in the 1970s the climate science community was predicting “global cooling” and an “imminent” ice age, an observation frequently used by those who would undermine what climate scientists say today about the prospect of global warming. A review of the literature suggests that, on the contrary, greenhouse warming even then dominated scientists' thinking as being one of the most important forces shaping Earth's climate on human time scales. More importantly than showing the falsehood of the myth, this review describes how scientists of the time built the foundation on which the cohesive enterprise of modern climate science now rests.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/2008BAMS2370.1

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

The above video is based on the climate change vs global warming debate.

Below is an abstract of a paper that examined the scientific literature of the 60s and 70s to see whether more studies suggested warming or cooling.

THE MYTH OF THE 1970s GLOBAL COOLING SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS
Climate science as we know it today did not exist in the 1960s and 1970s. The integrated enterprise embodied in the Nobel Prizewinning work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change existed then as separate threads of research pursued by isolated groups of scientists. Atmospheric chemists and modelers grappled with the measurement of changes in carbon dioxide and atmospheric gases, and the changes in climate that might result. Meanwhile, geologists and paleoclimate researchers tried to understand when Earth slipped into and out of ice ages, and why. An enduring popular myth suggests that in the 1970s the climate science community was predicting “global cooling” and an “imminent” ice age, an observation frequently used by those who would undermine what climate scientists say today about the prospect of global warming. A review of the literature suggests that, on the contrary, greenhouse warming even then dominated scientists' thinking as being one of the most important forces shaping Earth's climate on human time scales. More importantly than showing the falsehood of the myth, this review describes how scientists of the time built the foundation on which the cohesive enterprise of modern climate science now rests.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/2008BAMS2370.1

Of course there was a consensus, Sam: The Daily Mail, Daily Express and Daily Telegraph...What else do you need?:good:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I have seen news articles as far back as the 1880's talking about the climate warming...so its not new

Posted

What I recall first-hand is that concern about global cooling in the 1970s was there in the background and not nearly as big a topic as global warming became in the 1980s. The event that seemed to shift the paradigm was the 1982-83 El Nino event and some remarkably high temperatures in North America in the month of December 1982. This seemed to have a big impact on perceptions in the atmospheric science community and by the late 1980s we were into the full-blown AGW dominance of climate science (a term which itself only began to appear in the 1980s or 1990s). 

When I was a student in the late 1960s and early 1970s, the general thinking in climatology seemed to be that of a variable but essentially steady-state climate where no significant trends would force changes. I took little if any notice of the global cooling school of thought since the 1970s seemed more about large variability than a trend to colder weather. In the mid-1970s we were setting a lot of records at both ends of the spectrum and looking back on that period it must have been a time of frequent blocking. Once the 1982-83 El Nino faded out, the weather returned to a rather cool phase (in both North America and Europe) so it was probably 1987 to 1989 when the AGW bandwagon really started to roll, and once again some unusual record warmth in March 1990 accelerated that trend. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Roger

I feel that the exceptional events of 1987 had an impact on the weather patterns this side of the pond.......Jan 1987 we saw an EXCEPTIONAL Beast From The East......then in Oct 1987 we saw an exceptional ‘hurricane’ storm with a following exceptional mild SW’ly winters and very very mild.  The angle of attack in Oct 87 was very odd.  I think We are seeing a reverse of that with a more ‘sinister’ twist coming.

BFTP

Posted
On 28/08/2018 at 20:30, Roger J Smith said:

What I recall first-hand is that concern about global cooling in the 1970s was there in the background and not nearly as big a topic as global warming became in the 1980s. The event that seemed to shift the paradigm was the 1982-83 El Nino event and some remarkably high temperatures in North America in the month of December 1982. This seemed to have a big impact on perceptions in the atmospheric science community and by the late 1980s we were into the full-blown AGW dominance of climate science (a term which itself only began to appear in the 1980s or 1990s). 

When I was a student in the late 1960s and early 1970s, the general thinking in climatology seemed to be that of a variable but essentially steady-state climate where no significant trends would force changes. I took little if any notice of the global cooling school of thought since the 1970s seemed more about large variability than a trend to colder weather. In the mid-1970s we were setting a lot of records at both ends of the spectrum and looking back on that period it must have been a time of frequent blocking. Once the 1982-83 El Nino faded out, the weather returned to a rather cool phase (in both North America and Europe) so it was probably 1987 to 1989 when the AGW bandwagon really started to roll, and once again some unusual record warmth in March 1990 accelerated that trend. 

I have friends from Toronto, and they mentioned the December in 1982 was a very mild one for Canada. 

I read up about it, and temperatures on Christmas Day that year in Toronto were 14-17 degrees(which is balmy even by uk standards, but must have been very strange for anyone who witnessed this during December 1982. 

Perhaps the climate started warming in 1982, but nobody took notice.

Posted
On 28/08/2018 at 22:07, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Roger

I feel that the exceptional events of 1987 had an impact on the weather patterns this side of the pond.......Jan 1987 we saw an EXCEPTIONAL Beast From The East......then in Oct 1987 we saw an exceptional ‘hurricane’ storm with a following exceptional mild SW’ly winters and very very mild.  The angle of attack in Oct 87 was very odd.  I think We are seeing a reverse of that with a more ‘sinister’ twist coming.

BFTP

I don’t think the snow of jan 87 was anything out of the ordinary back then, as snow seemed to be fairly regular in the London and southeast regions until that winter.

I will agree though, from a UK perspective, the autumn of 1987 saw a major shift in our weather patterns. The Great Storm of October 1987, followed by a very mild winter, and was followed by two more very mild winters, and ended with 2 very hot summers of 1989 and 1990. 

I remember the English teacher telling us about the ozone layer hole in 1988, skin cancer warnings and climate change being mentioned for the first time in my life.

The problem was already with us in the early 1980s, and could be behind the hot summers of 83 and 84, but by 1987-89 public awareness was definitely growing, due to shifts in our weather becoming more noticeable. 

Again, this is just something I remember from the 1987-1990 period, where we went from cold winters, and poor summers to milder winters and hotter summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I don't understand why people deny climate change is happening.  These same people are quite happy to accept atomic theory and gravitational theory but for some reason the theory of climate change is a no-go (despite the vast majority of climate SCIENTISTS understanding that AGW is real and serious).

• Like 2