Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How often has 27c , 30c & 32c been exceeded this summer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

27 - 8 times

30- 0

32- 0

No real surprises the highest so far was 29c in Plymouth. It takes very special conditions to get near 30c here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

SE England has a comparatively wonderful climate to the rest of the UK (well at least to Wales and Scotland).  I'm very jealous of the level of heat there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

27 - 18

30 - 1

32 - 0

We've had a lot of days between 29 and 30C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 hours ago, gbrunner12 said:

SE England has a comparatively wonderful climate to the rest of the UK (well at least to Wales and Scotland).  I'm very jealous of the level of heat there!

Being biased as I’m from London, but I would agree. 

For the UK we do have a bit more of a “continental”-style climate. Warmest and driest region of the country in summer, driest area of the country all year round, and though we don’t get anywhere near the same amount of snow and cold weather as northern England and Scotland, on the relatively rare occasion that we get a true Beast from the East we can be colder than many areas of the country. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, danm said:

Being biased as I’m from London, but I would agree. 

For the UK we do have a bit more of a “continental”-style climate. Warmest and driest region of the country in summer, driest area of the country all year round, and though we don’t get anywhere near the same amount of snow and cold weather as northern England and Scotland, on the relatively rare occasion that we get a true Beast from the East we can be colder than many areas of the country. 

I would say that's true for East Anglia and maybe Kent but definitely not London which nowadays is easily one of the worst places in the UK for snow due to the overwhelming urban heat island. Other cities have urban heat islands too but not quite to the same extent.

If it's hot weather you want then London is easily the best place though.

I actually think much of Yorkshire has a pretty good climate by UK standards - we are usually far enough south to benefit from heatwaves, and generally do well for snow in winter from all directions. Most of the region is dry too except for the hilly areas (Church Fenton, east of Leeds, has 603mm of rain a year on average which is just 1mm more than Heathrow).

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

I would say that's true for East Anglia and maybe Kent but definitely not London which nowadays is probably the worst region for snow in England even during easterlies. The urban heat island is just too strong now.

If you’re talking about central London, then I’d agree - although during the freeze in Feb/March even the centre of London was sub zero during the day with a few inches of snow on the ground. 

I live in the suburbs of London near the border with Essex and we get plenty of lying snow compared to central London when it does snow in the SE. 

Posted

So far since april Northolt which is the closest observation site to me has had

33 days above 27oC

13 days above 30oC 

3 days above 32oC 

Highest was 34oC

Highest I measured in my garden was 32.9oC on the 26th of July

Posted
10 minutes ago, danm said:

If you’re talking about central London, then I’d agree - although during the freeze in Feb/March even the centre of London was sub zero during the day with a few inches of snow on the ground. 

I live in the suburbs of London near the border with Essex and we get plenty of lying snow compared to central London when it does snow in the SE. 

I agree! I live in Hertfordshire and we can get temperatures just as high as london on man accasions as the heat is pushed north from the city centre when the winds are from the south/south east.

We also get a considerable amount of snow during cold periods with little blocking us from the cold arctic winds. 

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the UK as we seem to experience many extremes and we're in one of the driest parts of the country

We do however always miss out on strong winds as the chilterns block strongest of the westerly winds but that's fine by me :)

1 hour ago, cheese said:

I would say that's true for East Anglia and maybe Kent but definitely not London which nowadays is easily one of the worst places in the UK for snow due to the overwhelming urban heat island. Other cities have urban heat islands too but not quite to the same extent.

If it's hot weather you want then London is easily the best place though.

I actually think much of Yorkshire has a pretty good climate by UK standards - we are usually far enough south to benefit from heatwaves, and generally do well for snow in winter from all directions. Most of the region is dry too except for the hilly areas (Church Fenton, east of Leeds, has 603mm of rain a year on average which is just 1mm more than Heathrow).

London can still be good. Some areas of Central London had over 20cm on the morning of 2nd Feb 2009. Although we got almost nothing from the beast this year but was still extremely cold and was below zero the whole week

Posted
On 31/07/2018 at 18:08, danm said:

Stats for London Heathrow:

27c: 26

30c: 14

32c: 3

The above are for June and July. Doesn’t include spells in April and May where we exceeded 27c - that would add another 4/5 days to the 27c stats. 

Updated to include stats since 31st July and including stats from April and May:

Stats for London:

27c: 35

30c: 18

32c: 5

For comparison, 1995 had 15 days above 30c and 6 days above 32c. 1976 had 21 days above 30c and 10 days above 32c. 

So not on par with 1976 in terms of very high temperatures, but easily on par with 1995 so far. 

Posted

There was a maximum of 35.3 at Faversham and 35.1C at Wisley on the 26th, a minimum of 21.0C at London St James Park overnight on the 26-27, and a maximum of 34.1 at Gravesend on the 27th; and then down to 24.0 at Weybourne on the 28th.

http://www.trevorharley.com/weather_web_pages/2018_weather.htm

Somewhere in the country reached the 90s (32C) for 15 consecutive days from 23 June and 7 July. Cheltenham reached 35.9C on the 3rd, the highest corroborated maximum.

http://www.trevorharley.com/weather_web_pages/1976_weather.htm

Theres no doubt that this summer is very similar to 1976 no record breaking max temps this year,can`t see that happening in august second half now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 31/07/2018 at 08:12, cheeky_monkey said:

Revising my down..yesterday was suppose to hit 33c..but it only managed 28c.

Now 

Today after a hot week looks like this:

Edited by cheeky_monkey

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Managed to squeeze a couple 27c days in the last week or so...looks like will get one maybe two this week..then it looks pretty cool through to the first week of Sept...