Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June 2012 worst ever summer month?

Harry233

Posted

Looking back has there ever been a worse summer month than June 2012 (ie cold, wet, dull windy), still remember this month extremely well with the very cold nights right at the start. 3.7.C on the 2nd, then the unseasonably windy weather around the 7-8th. Then the rest of the month being absolutely atrocious weather wise with cold, wet days and no warmth. My warmest day that month only reached 20.C and to only hit 20.C once in a summer month has never happened since I began recording in 1994. It ranked as the coldest June since probably 1972 locally, was fifth wettest behind 2017, 2002, 2007, 1998 and second dullest behind 2007.

Any memories of this month, was there any worse ones? 

Mean maximum: 15.4.C (-2.8.C)

Mean minimum: 8.7.C (-0.5.C)

Mean: 12.1.C (-1.7.C)

Rainfall: 116mm (180%)

Sunshine: 93 hours (56%)

Posted

Ah yes, the year they moved the late May bank holiday into June and added a day for the jubilee. Thereby ensuring we had a week of chilly drizzle under canvas in the Lakes rather than some nice weather.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Yes

August 1912

True but no one will have been alive now to remember it. But yes August 1912 was a shocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Awful, awful month. Cold, windy, wet. 

The last week of May was actually beautiful - sunny and warm with temperatures in the mid to high 20s but the new month spawned a change in weather. 

July was a bit better with a short hot spell in the week running up to the Olympics. The Olympics itself were ok with some decent weather at times. August overall was the best month of that summer, there was quite a lot of warm and sunny weather down in the SE. 

That June however is one of the worst summer months I can remember.

Posted
4 hours ago, danm said:

Awful, awful month. Cold, windy, wet. 

The last week of May was actually beautiful - sunny and warm with temperatures in the mid to high 20s but the new month spawned a change in weather. 

July was a bit better with a short hot spell in the week running up to the Olympics. The Olympics itself were ok with some decent weather at times. August overall was the best month of that summer, there was quite a lot of warm and sunny weather down in the SE. 

That June however is one of the worst summer months I can remember.

I recorded a high of 26.3.C on the 27th May which was the warmest day of 2012. Then on the 3rd of June the maximum was 11.8.C. 

Posted

2012 had some hideous months...April was absolutely awful as well. May was saved by a stunning last week or so but had been very cold before that. The autumn was also chilly. The only thing I remember fondly that year is the stunning and exceptional March.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, Harry233 said:

I recorded a high of 26.3.C on the 27th May which was the warmest day of 2012. Then on the 3rd of June the maximum was 11.8.C. 

In London we got just shy of 28c on 27th May and most of that week temperatures were between 24-27c.  

In the late July hot spell it hit 29c on the 24th and 30c on the 25th. 

Like I mentioned before, August was a better month. Warmest days were the 18th and 19th where it got to just over 30c.

Posted
Just now, danm said:

In London we got just shy of 28c on 27th May and most of that week temperatures were between 24-27c.  

Like I mentioned before, August was a better month. Warmest days were the 18th and 19th where it got to just over 30c.

Central/eastern Scotland missed the warm spell in July 2012 temperatures were just slightly above July 2012 reached just 22.6.C on the 25th, August however did improve slightly being the warmest since 2004 at the time with some good warm spells but none exceptional we hit just shy of 25.C on the 11th/18th/19th. But August remained very wet though not dull

Posted

Never known floods in summer before 2007 and 2012 june the river severn broke its banks again.

The 80`s were never that wet here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

June 2012 was an evil combination of well below average temperatures, well below average sunshine and well above average rainfall. The worst summer month in living memory.

August 2008 was at least usable despite the unrelenting gloom. June 2007 was at least somewhat warm despite the excessive rainfall. June 2012 had no redeeming qualities, it was just extremely bad in all aspects.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Yes a very poor summer month here, one of the worse of the last 25 years easily, possibly the worse, up there with the likes of July 1988. It came on the back of a 10 day excellent spell of weather in late May, a kick in the teeth, the rest of the summer was very dull and cool, we didn't record a max higher than 24 degrees in June, July or August, late May brought the warmest weather.

I enjoyed autumn 2012 though, a rare cool rather dry one, with some early frosts, and shot of arctic air in late Oct which brought snowfall to low levels in the NE, and then a very typical November, some frosty cold weather later on. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
10 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes a very poor summer month here, one of the worse of the last 25 years easily, possibly the worse, up there with the likes of July 1988. It came on the back of a 10 day excellent spell of weather in late May, a kick in the teeth, the rest of the summer was very dull and cool, we didn't record a max higher than 24 degrees in June, July or August, late May brought the warmest weather.

I enjoyed autumn 2012 though, a rare cool rather dry one, with some early frosts, and shot of arctic air in late Oct which brought snowfall to low levels in the NE, and then a very typical November, some frosty cold weather later on. 

Autumn 2012 was quite horrendously wet in the south. I’ll never forget that ‘child of nadine’ system which gave flooding to Hampshire and the south coast. An appalling weather system, and just constant heavy and at times thundery showers feeding in off the English Channel! 

As for the worst summer month, it would have to be August 2011, as it was so incredibly boring from what I can just about remember (Nothing at all memorable from it) just boring northwesterlies and cool. June 2012 would be, but the 28th which delivered those rare super cells would be the one thing that lifts it out of the ‘worst’ month. Take away that event, and yes it was pure dire. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i would wager July 1988 was cooler and as wet as June 2012 highest temp recorded in July 1988 was 24.7c  whereas June 2012 managed 28.6c..July 1988 was also -1.2c below the 61-90 benchmark...June 2012 was 0.7c below the 81-10 benchmark.

Posted
14 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Yes

August 1912

The coldest, wettest and dullest August in the CET record - a triple whammy. Hard to top that.

The month was topped off by a historic flood in East Anglia. I took this photo in Norwich a few years ago:

DSCF8261.thumb.JPG.57b6177bdb0fc3fab1459fd1ada3f230.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

The coldest, wettest and dullest August in the CET record - a triple whammy. Hard to top that.

The month was topped off by a historic flood in East Anglia. I took this photo in Norwich a few years ago:

DSCF8261.thumb.JPG.57b6177bdb0fc3fab1459fd1ada3f230.JPG

Which idiot tarmaced over the plaque? !

Yes summer 2012 as a whole was awful, hope we never see the likes of it again. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

June 1987 was worse here,it was slightly cooler,wetter and less sunshine.

Posted
On 30/07/2018 at 21:42, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Autumn 2012 was quite horrendously wet in the south. I’ll never forget that ‘child of nadine’ system which gave flooding to Hampshire and the south coast. An appalling weather system, and just constant heavy and at times thundery showers feeding in off the English Channel! 

As for the worst summer month, it would have to be August 2011, as it was so incredibly boring from what I can just about remember (Nothing at all memorable from it) just boring northwesterlies and cool. June 2012 would be, but the 28th which delivered those rare super cells would be the one thing that lifts it out of the ‘worst’ month. Take away that event, and yes it was pure dire. 

Autumn 2012 would have to be one of my favourite autumns, cool, dry and sunny. I remember the rain forecasts for England in September and November and we had none, I can remember the October being very cold especially in the last week with maxima around 4-7.C and very frosty nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

2012 was a dreadful Summer here, in fact I can remember just 1 BBQ the whole time in mid July.

I worked the jubilee weekend and it was cold damp apart from the Monday but I wore a jumper the whole time.

It just continued as I went on a caravan holiday with my Ex in early October and the field was partly flooded. Just awful.

As a funny footnote, when I was getting divorced in 2013 my Ex used that summer as a reason why our Civil partnership collapsed by saying that we ‘did nothing outside during the last summer’. When it was pointed out how bad the summer had been he dropped that argument!

Funny to think about that now but back then - not really!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

June 2012, July 2007 and August 2008 have to be the worst summer months I've recorded.

June 2007 was only poor in the second half here, July 2009 and 2008 are close behind but had heatwaves at the start and end respectively, likewise in 2012.

Posted
On 30/07/2018 at 15:53, danm said:

2012 was a terrible summer. August was the best month, but having said that, it was still on the poor side. I think we had about a week or so of fine warm weather and some days here and there. But, I also remember thunderstorms breaking out in the London area on a Saturday afternoon.