Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Was summer 2009 a bad summer?

Harry233

Posted

June was for the most part just OK, some nice days in the low 20s, some rain, there was one unseasonably windy night (think it was a weekend, think it was June 09)- the big let down was that forecast heatwave at the end of June into the very start of July. We were promised the first real heat since 2006, 28-32C and sunshine, and we got- cloudy humid crap, that horrid mid-level muck that kept turning up in seemingly any kind of warm air mass in the late 2000s and early 2010s. It just refused to clear and kept the days down to 25C at most, but the nights warm. You can see it on those forecasts, plaguing everywhere west of Birmingham.

July was an absolute stinker, I've mentioned it many times. Wetter than not only 2007 and 2012 but also 1988. Constant heavy downpours, but very little thunder. 

August was very frustrating, it wasn't awful (lots of partly cloudy 20-22C stuff) but all the time the southeast (yawn) was getting 25 and sunshine. It was better than Aug 08, 10, 11, 12, 14 but should have been better still.

I honestly can't remember anything of the May or September, April I just remember for being extremely boring (every day had a max between 10 and 18C), the year was also notable for having no air frost in autumn (first one on Dec 1st) which even 2015 didn't manage.

Posted
10 hours ago, Philipsfd said:

Would 2001 be a fair comparison with 2009 in terms of the summer? 

Probably again dependant on location. For me it was not a 1995, 2003, 2006 or 2013 summer but certainly not on the level of 2002, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2017.

I recall June as being rather cool and dull but quite dry, any heat was restricted to the end of the month.

July began and ended warm and sunny but was mostly cool and wet in between. I recall it being almost sunless in the second week.

August was probably the most average I’ve seen, a few cool and wet days, a few warm and sunny days as well as some dull, dry days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, Harry233 said:

Probably again dependant on location. For me it was not a 1995, 2003, 2006 or 2013 summer but certainly not on the level of 2002, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2017.

I recall June as being rather cool and dull but quite dry, any heat was restricted to the end of the month.

July began and ended warm and sunny but was mostly cool and wet in between. I recall it being almost sunless in the second week.

August was probably the most average I’ve seen, a few cool and wet days, a few warm and sunny days as well as some dull, dry days.

2002? That wasn't a bad summer was it? The data for here suggests it was fairly average.

Likewise I would not include 2017 with 2007, 2008 and 2012, it was nowhere near that bad - though as you say dependent on location.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 hours ago, Philipsfd said:

Would 2001 be a fair comparison with 2009 in terms of the summer? 

2001 was the best music and my longwave radio

On 03/08/2018 at 21:35, cheese said:

2002? That wasn't a bad summer was it? The data for here suggests it was fairly average.

Likewise I would not include 2017 with 2007, 2008 and 2012, it was nowhere near that bad - though as you say dependent on location.

I think 2002 was warmer than 2001 but was also wetter and cloudier. It was poor in the North West, especially July from what I recall. There was also an absolute deluge in Manchester on a Friday afternoon in the middle of June. August was notably warm in the South East from what I've read though.

2017 - the latter half of the summer was a big let down after a good first half (3rd week of June especially). It's worth mentioning too how poor the September was, as September has often brought pleasant weather in recent years, even after a drab July/August.

Posted
On 03/08/2018 at 21:35, cheese said:

2002 was a warm summer in central Scotland but very wet and dull particularly in July. We missed the very hot weather in June 2017 it got to around 25.C but not 32-33.C, the rest of the summer was unsettled and cool