Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Was summer 2009 a bad summer?

Harry233

Posted

Scanning through some posts and it got me thinking a lot of people slate summer 2009 as being an appalling summer. I have good memories of that summer, I do remember it being rather wet (July especially) but rarely cool or dull. The rain fell in very sharp showers often during the evening which left the days rather pleasant, particularly during late June/early July and around the end of August.

June 2009

Mean maximum: 19.6.C (+1.5.C)

Mean minimum: 9.8.C (+0.7.C)

Mean: 14.7.C (+1.1.C)

Rainfall: 43mm (64%)

Sunshine: 183 hours (112%)

July 2009

Mean maximum: 20.7.C (+0.6.C)

Mean minimum: 11.4.C (+0.3.C)

Mean: 16.1.C (+0.5.C)

Rainfall: 106mm (204%)

Sunshine: 192 hours (109%)

August 2009

Mean maximum: 19.8.C (+0.3.C)

Mean minimum: 11.3.C (+0.6.C)

Mean: 15.6.C (+0.4.C)

Rainfall: 99mm (139%)

Sunshine: 153 hours (94%)

Summer 2009

Mean maximum: 20.0.C (+0.8.C)

Mean minimum: 10.9.C (+0.5.C)

Mean: 15.5.C (+0.7.C)

Rainfall: 248mm (136%)

Sunshine: 528 hours (105%)

Whats your thoughts???

• Thanks 1

Posted

I think it gets that reputation more due to being rather wet in the heart of it. All three months were slightly sunnier and warmer than average here. June was the driest since 1976 and August close to average rainfall but July had more than 200% of normal rainfall.

It was also just consistently average/warm than having any exceptional heat. We only reached 25C three times during the entire summer.

Perceptions of summer often change depending on how often it rains though. Summer 1995 and 2009 were only 0.1C apart temperature-wise here but there's no question which was the better!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It was okay imo. August was probably the better month. We had a cracking storm around the 19th of June.

Edited by cheese

Posted
26 minutes ago, cheese said:

It was okay imo. August was probably the better month. We had a cracking storm around the 19th of June.

August itself was the worst month for me although it was fairly average though wet. It had the highest number of overcast, wet days rather than big showers. Although if I remember right I’m pretty sure this was a very dry and quite warm August in the south-east however south-western Scotland, Northern Ireland and north-west England had an appuling month. Glasgow was hit badly with rain and Eskdalemuir recorded 15 inches of rain.

Posted
54 minutes ago, reef said:

I think it gets that reputation more due to being rather wet in the heart of it. All three months were slightly sunnier and warmer than average here. June was the driest since 1976 and August close to average rainfall but July had more than 200% of normal rainfall.

It was also just consistently average/warm than having any exceptional heat. We only reached 25C three times during the entire summer.

Perceptions of summer often change depending on how often it rains though. Summer 1995 and 2009 were only 0.1C apart temperature-wise here but there's no question which was the better!

True August lacked any real heat but late June/early July was fantastic up here.

22nd June: 23.2.C

23rd June: 24.8.C

24th June: 26.4.C

25th June: 22.9.C

26th June: 23.4.C

27th June: 23.2.C

28th June: 26.6.C

29th June: 27.1.C

30th June: 27.3.C

1st July: 28.2.C

2nd July: 29.4.C (warmest day of the year)

3rd July: 26.0.C

4th July: 24.5.C.

Posted

I think the problem with 2009 was, it started off well, when compared to 2007 and 08. May 2009 was decent and June was hot at times, but July was very wet and thundery, and August was dull for most of the time. 

I remember it followed a chilly winter, and the spring months and early summer were the best for sunny weather. July and August were disappointing. 

This seemed to be the theme of 2007-12 summers, and most of them were poor. June 2010 was decent and hot, but the August was cool and dull. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Only July was poor down here. Late May and most of June was gorgeous, and a good part of August brought fine weather, especially around the Bristol Balloon Fiesta. July, however, after the hot opening days was very wet indeed, wetter in fact than 2007, 2008 and 2012 for my location, but that was also down to the highly convective nature of how unsettled it was. Contrast this to August 2008 which was just dull and boring throughout with only the odd interesting convective day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

It was the ONLY good summer here during the 2007-2012 period, thanks to a hot end to June and the stormiest July of the last 10 years here, no month has come close since for storms. August was also one of the best of the bad Augusts we have had from 2004-2017

Edited by 95 Degrees

Posted
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

Only July was poor down here. Late May and most of June was gorgeous, and a good part of August brought fine weather, especially around the Bristol Balloon Fiesta. July, however, after the hot opening days was very wet indeed, wetter in fact than 2007, 2008 and 2012 for my location, but that was also down to the highly convective nature of how unsettled it was. Contrast this to August 2008 which was just dull and boring throughout with only the odd interesting convective day.

Pretty sure July 2009 was the wettest on record for Wales and South West England.

• Like 1

Posted

It was somewhat similar to 2007 but on a smaller scale.

Exceptional torrential thundery showers in july in the morning my main memory of it and more summer floods, lightning strikes hitting a tree in early june BANG.

A good summer for thunder actually.

August was uneventful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Compared to the awful summers of 2007 and 2008, 2009 was a decent summer in London.

The period between 23rd June and 5th July was warm/hot and sunny. We had 4 consecutive days of temperatures above 30c between 29th June and 2nd July, peaking at 31.2c. The rest of the days in that spell were between 25c and 28c. 

August was then warm with plenty of sunshine. Temperatures for most of the month fluctuated between 23c and 29c. 21 days in that month were above 23c.

Edited by danm

Posted

Here it was quite poor overall. Perhaps a little better than 2007/2008 but 2010 was better being the only 'average' summer in the 2007-2012 period here.

June was alright with a mean max of 20.0C (slightly above average), Rainfall 57.2mm, 5 days >1mm

July had a mean max of 19.7C (near 1.5C below average), Rainfall 175.0mm! 19 days >1mm 

August had a mean max of 20.3C (slightly below average). Rainfall 56.6mm, 12 days >1mm 

1588627159_2009summermaximums.thumb.png.98ab4ebefa4b8ce34c79586ec792c1d8.png848218788_2009summerrainfall.thumb.png.89176367a16f68b7264d832a714d34c4.png
This shows the maximum temperature and rainfall for each day.

I don't have sunshine stats for then but the Met Office maps shows the SW was one of the dullest areas anomaly wise.
Summer 2009 Sunshine 1971 - 2000 anomaly

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Things that stick in my mind of summer 2009

Amazing noctilucent cloud displays.

Lovely sunsets

Great convection

England regaining the Ashes

Michael Jackson's death

and Roger Federer Wimbledon champion, a relief after I resigned during that 5th set that that one dimensional Roddick would win

Posted
2 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Here it was quite poor overall. Perhaps a little better than 2007/2008 but 2010 was better being the only 'average' summer in the 2007-2012 period here.

June was alright with a mean max of 20.0C (slightly above average), Rainfall 57.2mm, 5 days >1mm

July had a mean max of 19.7C (near 1.5C below average), Rainfall 175.0mm! 19 days >1mm 

August had a mean max of 20.3C (slightly below average). Rainfall 56.6mm, 12 days >1mm 

1588627159_2009summermaximums.thumb.png.98ab4ebefa4b8ce34c79586ec792c1d8.png848218788_2009summerrainfall.thumb.png.89176367a16f68b7264d832a714d34c4.png
This shows the maximum temperature and rainfall for each day.

I don't have sunshine stats for then but the Met Office maps shows the SW was one of the dullest areas anomaly wise.
Summer 2009 Sunshine 1971 - 2000 anomaly

This was probably one of the sunniest summers on recorded in northern Scotland as well as one of the warmest, Stornaway recorded it’s warmest June day that year I think 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Certainly better than 2008 ,with june being decent but it rained most days in july but was ok between the rain.the second half of august being decent.Once again the middle half of summer poor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

I think people slate it for being appalling for two reasons: 

1. July being exceptionally wet

2. The UK Met Office infamously forecasting a "BBQ Summer"

I loved Summer 2009 personally. Summer 2010 was my favourite out of the 2007-2012 period. It was a good June and a good August (well very sunny and dry but not really warm) whilst July was poor but it wasn't nearly as bad here as much of Ireland had been. 

If I'd choose the worst Summer out of the period since 2007, 2012 without a doubt here. At least September 2009 became very anticyclonic.

Posted

BBC weather forecasts from the late June and early July hot spell:

Posted

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Summer 2009 was very mixed here, as I recall -- but 2007 was still quite fresh in people's minds in this part of the world, and so mixed was something of a relief. I do recall that the very wet July started getting people worrying about flooding again. It was hot at the start of that month (30.3 °C here on the 1st) but that was a distant memory by the end of the month. Thankfully things improved -- a bit -- in August and September wasn't bad.

As has been mentioned, June 2010 was a good summer month, but those were like hens' teeth during that period. "Summer" 2012 was the nadir -- after some warm, sunny weather at the end of May, things went downhill fast, with almost relentless cold, dull, wet conditions. As my part of Bewdley isn't one that was hit too badly by the 2007 floods, I'd actually rate 2012 as the worst summer I've ever experienced. Never again, please!

Posted
19 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

Summer 2009 was very mixed here, as I recall -- but 2007 was still quite fresh in people's minds in this part of the world, and so mixed was something of a relief. I do recall that the very wet July started getting people worrying about flooding again. It was hot at the start of that month (30.3 °C here on the 1st) but that was a distant memory by the end of the month. Thankfully things improved -- a bit -- in August and September wasn't bad.

As has been mentioned, June 2010 was a good summer month, but those were like hens' teeth during that period. "Summer" 2012 was the nadir -- after some warm, sunny weather at the end of May, things went downhill fast, with almost relentless cold, dull, wet conditions. As my part of Bewdley isn't one that was hit too badly by the 2007 floods, I'd actually rate 2012 as the worst summer I've ever experienced. Never again, please!

Summer 2010 was actually not a bad summer either with June having again some good warm weather, July however was pretty poor with lots of rain although sunshine wise was about average but it had a rather cool feel about it and August was dry and very sunny but often cool, August felt more like April.

Most of the days of this summer had plenty of sunshine involved (at least June and most of July) which was good. Plenty of rain too but at least there were some thunderstorms. From memory, there were a handful of shocking spells though - 16-17th July was persistent rain in the NW and I think 26-29th was similar. In fact thinking about it the period from 26th July through to about the 13th August was rather dull from what I remember, albeit with occasional sunny and warm days such as the 8th-9th. The final (BH) weekend of August was also very dull and wet IIRC.

The middle couple of weeks of September were warm and sunny.

Edited by Philipsfd

Posted
On 31/07/2018 at 15:23, Harry233 said:

This was probably one of the sunniest summers on recorded in northern Scotland as well as one of the warmest, Stornaway recorded it’s warmest June day that year I think 

I noticed it looking pretty good up there on the anomaly maps. 

It seems SW was worst and north best that summer (compared to their respective averages)

We didn't get much thunder here, I recall showers often electrifying as they moved further east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Summer 2009 was easily my favourite out of the dodgy run of summers from 2007-2012, but I did get very lucky with my locations, as I spent January-June in Exeter and July-December in Norwich that year.  June in Exeter was sunny and warm overall, especially near both ends of the month.  Locally there was roughly twice the normal rainfall but the vast majority of it fell in big thunderstorms on the 6th and 15th.  In July I avoided the washout month that the south-west experienced, and in Norwich it was warmer and sunnier than average and again, although wet, most of the rain came from brief heavy showers and thunderstorms.  The first half of August was dry but pretty dull, but sunshine picked up in the second half resulting in a warm, dry and fairly sunny month overall.

My personal weather records in Cleadon in South Tyneside were still running that year and June 2009 was a pretty average month there, let down by haar in the last week.  July was fairly warm and sunny but exceptionally wet, with an unusually high frequency of thunder (7 days, roughly the annual long-term average for that area of the country!) and August was quite warm and dry with average sunshine, and rounded off by a thunderstorm late on the 31st.  Overall a mixed bag, but again I'd say the best of a dodgy bunch as far as the period 2007-12 goes.

Least favourite summer of that period was 2012, for at least 2007 had a decent August and 2008 had a decent June.  I recall quite enjoying the first half of August 2012, which had a showery thundery first week and then a dry sunny spell in the second week, but dull wet weather returned in the second half of the month.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers