Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Does the very cold weather of late Feb/early March seem like a lifetime ago?

Posted

Based on the current heatwave. I was thinking, the cold snowy weather and bitter winds of late winter and early spring seem like ages ago now.

My question to people here is, do you prefer the very cold weather of last winter, or very hot weather of the current summer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

its very cold every winter here..and usually is until late April..so no it doesn't seem like ages ago..and will be back in 3 months time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Last winter/early spring of course, what a fantastic spell of weather that was, lost count of the amount of separate snow covers we had. And the two beast from the easts were like going back to the 80s. After a few rubbish winters at least we know we can get a proper one again. I thoroughly enjoyed the biting Siberian wind as I took a bracing walk in the drifting snow in March with a hot flask of coffee. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Cold weather always. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Funnily enough only the day before yesterday, was I looking at some photos I took during the snow events of early and mid March this year. I found that my actual visual memory of it was starting to fade a bit and it was starting to feel like a while back, but the seeing the photos brought it all back clearly and feeling pretty recent again. Very different to now of course, but I'm loving the contrast in seasonal extremes we've managed to achieve in such a short window so far this year. 

Posted

Not really I can still remember it well, snowed in for days had to walk a 90 minute road trip to a supermarket in a foot to find they had run out of milk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Actually seems quite close in memory with the cold coming late spring was short in between a long winter and now a long summer 

7BA16A10-DD13-45BC-8946-70475D29E145.jpeg

3614D4D0-25FC-4F87-93C2-5C20FDA15F9A.jpeg

E2757FC9-FDF3-466A-A0F0-FCF82BE60A24.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Soon enough it will be time for this !

79FC0B91-0C1B-4BB0-BA26-6933B751A174.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Its still vivid in my mind  Here at least we were last to the party  ( however before that we had a few big snow events)  what i remember was the snow  blowing all over the place and drifting which i hadnt really seen for years   the windchill however was the biggest factor.   It was nice to have a country wide event  however before christmas for me at least was a better event 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The snowy spells were great. Had some notably cold temperatures which meant decent snow and not slush. I enjoyed walks and wasn’t cooped up indoors. Some of the snow showers were very dramatic. I’ll always be a summer lover, though and this summer has been amazing. I hope the warmth continues right through August.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very clear in my mind still but a lot has happened since. What seems less easy to remember is the last spell of Atlantic weather that actually brought rain - I think the opening days of May! 

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

The lovely cold winter weather of Febreer and March feels a million lifetimes away for me.  I fear we will have to suffer another 5 years without a winter before we see its likes again, at least.  Needless to say I have hated the hellish heatwaves that have been with us (with only brief interruptions of Atlantic garbage) since April!  In contrast I loved the "classic" cold weather in February and March though I wish March wasn't as wet as it was. 

Edited by Lettucing Gutted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
58 minutes ago, Lettucing Gutted said:

The lovely cold winter weather of Febreer and March feels a million lifetimes away for me.  I fear we will have to suffer another 5 years without a winter before we see its likes again, at least.  Needless to say I have hated the hellish heatwaves that have been with us (with only brief interruptions of Atlantic garbage) since April!  In contrast I loved the "classic" cold weather in February and March though I wish March wasn't as wet as it was. 

Hang on in there Craig, I know this weather is probably absolutely awful for you but there will come an end.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too

I also absolutely preferred that weather to this.

The snow and ice were difficult for me as someone with coordination difficulties, but at least it was pleasant to be inside and snuggle up in heavy clothing and/or under multiple duvets. No such joys exist in this weather, and it's just as difficult to go outside.

...in the daytime, at least. Nights are a bit more manageable, but that's just made me even more nocturnal than I normally am

Posted
3 hours ago, Lettucing Gutted said:

The lovely cold winter weather of Febreer and March feels a million lifetimes away for me.  I fear we will have to suffer another 5 years without a winter before we see its likes again, at least.

Although that could happen (as it has before) I for one am fairly hopeful we won't have to wait that long for our next cold and snowy spell. 'Summer Blizzard' seems fairly hopeful for the Winter to comes prospects. We also of course had an above average June, which I remember 'Weather History' last year pointing out how there seems to be this historical quirk, whereby above average June's are more often than not followed by December's which lean below average. This was the case last year and this year June was above average again. Plus we'll be even closer to solar minimum next Winter than last, so there's room for a little cautious optimism I think. But as ever we'll see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Not really - but I certainly enjoyed it and I hope we get another period like it next winter. The drifting was something else - some of the snow showers we got were bordering blizzard conditions. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I much prefer this weather, because I hate struggling to warm up and worrying about the gas bill. Cold snowy weather looks nice, but that's about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

To me its not about how long ago it feels. Its how relentlessly cold and snow it was, which felt like it was going on forever. Then it felt like a sudden switch to hot and very dry. I cant remember any major wet periods. The snow has overrrided the rain this year and with the dry summer, it just doesnt feel like we have had any proper rain for so long