Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who else cant wait for this heatwave to end??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
15 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I think this week has finally been the tipping point where the majority are sick of the heat. Tomorrow is looking gorgeous, however. Mid-20s and dew points in single figures. Perfect.

I do enjoy extremes, so while yesterday was oppressively hot (35c), it was an experience. However as we aren’t geared for the heat in this country with public transport and our homes, I don’t think I could handle 4/5 days at 35c+. It would become too much. 

Will be nice to get some fresher air this weekend but hoping the high pressure builds back in later next week and will happily settle for sunny weather and mid to high 20’s.

• Like 3

Posted

Ironically,i think another 2/3 days at 35c would finally make people realise that temperatures this high have NO benefits whatsoever! When you ask people why they like weather like this they say " oh at least its not raining"  Well,really!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Well the heatwave broke in spectacular fashion, yesterday early evening, here in S.E.London. Still have Brontophobic tendencies but not as bad as before I had a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in Sept.2015. Evidently, I died twice and was very poorly, for a few months, afterwards. This close shave with death, seems to have helped me put my Brontophobia, into perspective more. Gone are the days, when I put pillows over my head, cotton wool in my ears, turn tv and radio up, to deafening levels!!

I do have to put all the lights on, around the ground floor of the house, though.

We had a slight spell of thunder, around late afternoon and when that moved off, thought I'd "dodged a bullet", somewhat!!

But looking at radar/lightning returns suggested I wasn't "out of the woods". Sure enough, around about 6 pm, thunder started rumbling around again. At about 6.10, we had the most almighty crash, of "shotgun" thunder, I've heard in a long time!! I really thought the house, had been struck. I didn't even see the lightning, as I still had all the lights on but I'm pretty sure, thunder would have virtually been, instantaneous!! That really tested my Brontophobia!! My wife returned home from work, soon after, to find her husband "shot through" and in an agitated state!! She was worried that my blood pressure would've been raised to dangerous levels but I soon calmed down, with the thunder fading away, quickly.

Didn't go to bed until much later, as bedroom was still very uncomfortable but what a difference this morning!! So much nicer, now!!

I used to blame my father, for my Brontophobia but in latter years have thought, perhaps my Italian mother, unwittingly was the cause of it. When I was a young lad and there was lightning flashing around, Mum would make the sign of the cross and invoke Santa Barbara, the Patron Saint of lightning and storms, in Italy. So this young lad grew up thinking that lightning and thunder were very bad things and to be feared!! Despite having counselling, my Phobia, never really improved. 

One therapist suggested because of all the stresses in my life, my first wife had the condition, Huntington's Disease and died from it, in 2008 plus my son, is very ill with it now and my daughter, has inherited the faulty gene, from her mother, that I tend to "implant" my fears, on to more tangible things, like lightning and thunder!!

But anyway, really nice to feel that much fresher air, this morning. Might even stand out in the rain, in the rain, in the next few days, as long as it's not accompanied, by thunder.

Hope those of you, like myself, that have found the heat and eventual humidity, too much, over the past few weeks, really enjoy this fresher spell of weather. Let's hope the forecasts are wrong for later in the week and we don't get another burst of intense heat and humidity!! 

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

missing it already

ive thoughroughly loved the warmth... i can take heat, im comfortable with it and i enjoy it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Midweek onwards sees temps on the rise for the south by Friday London isn't far off 30c once more with a return to humid nights

Met office

4ba0df32-09fb-4a53-bf8b-7da8f2089a4b.thumb.png.b09dedf6dba1e83f9d2707371002efac.png

BBC

5038fc04-47ec-4a4d-8d86-34a23a25e4e6.thumb.png.3d1ac4e0084e07afed41fa6c06fd31e3.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
11 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Midweek onwards sees temps on the rise for the south by Friday London isn't far off 30c once more with a return to humid nights

Met office

4ba0df32-09fb-4a53-bf8b-7da8f2089a4b.thumb.png.b09dedf6dba1e83f9d2707371002efac.png

BBC

5038fc04-47ec-4a4d-8d86-34a23a25e4e6.thumb.png.3d1ac4e0084e07afed41fa6c06fd31e3.png

Lovely.  Just like the Mediterranean.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
On 27/07/2018 at 06:59, TomSE12 said:

Really looking forward to the fresher air, forecast for tomorrow, now. Wife took me to get a good trim, yesterday morning, in Chislehurst (N.W.Kent/S.E.London border). Sweating so much, in the barber's chair, the barber had to keep spraying me!! My head can breathe again, now, paradise!!  Went and did a bit of shopping afterwards, in Bromley (N.W.Kent/S.E.London border) and the heat was really intense.

We have two pedestal fans at home ( one in the lounge, a cheapo from Sainsbury's) and one in the bedroom ( which I bought from Argos, a few years ago), it's made by Bionaire, more expensive but have had real value for money from it, over the last few years. As I've stated before, our rooms are "dolls house" sized and the heat just accumulates, day on day.

We tried to buy another one for the lounge, as the Sainsburys one, isn't efficient enough but everywhere has been sold out. Managed to buy one, on Amazon, which is being delivered today and will be in place, before the next predicted, burst of intense heat, hopefully won't be as intense, as what we've just endured!!

If you're looking for a very efficient pedestal fan, can't recommend the Bionaire fan, enough!!

Bionaire Commander 16" Dual Blade Pedestal Fan

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

If your buying a fan most people make the flawed choice and go for size when what you actually want is wattage and direction. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
On 28/07/2018 at 09:23, mushymanrob said:

missing it already

ive thoughroughly loved the warmth... i can take heat, im comfortable with it and i enjoy it.

Me to feels like October today bring back the heat and the lovely sunny summer 

Edited by seabreeze86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
Just now, seabreeze86 said:

Edited by seabreeze86
  • Like 1

Posted

No heatwave here, we had a couple of very warm days on Thursday and Friday, but not heatwave temps, back down to average now, later this week will see maxes back into the mid 20's but not what I describe heatwave, a run of days above 27 degrees is the benchmark of a heatwave in the Lake District, for the SE, 30 degrees is about the right benchmark figure, in comparison. A mini heatwave on the cards again.

Posted
21 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

No heatwave here, we had a couple of very warm days on Thursday and Friday, but not heatwave temps, back down to average now, later this week will see maxes back into the mid 20's but not what I describe heatwave, a run of days above 27 degrees is the benchmark of a heatwave in the Lake District, for the SE, 30 degrees is about the right benchmark figure, in comparison. A mini heatwave on the cards again.

Same here, though the number of days in the low 20s has been unusual, only 2 or 3 days exceeded 25C and not by very much, highest was 27.9C on the 26th.
This is all fairly normal for a good spell in summer.
It reminds me a lot of 1995.
It is nothing like 1976, there is no comparison.

Edited by 4wd
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I don't mind it warm, in fact I don't mind it very warm. It's the humidity that gets me.

The "dry" heat earlier in July was great. It was only when it turned humid it was unbearable.

How anyone can enjoy 32C of humid heat is beyond me, I just don't get it.

Thankfully it's a much more pleasant 22C at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted

I am no heat lover in fact I love when September arrives but the first month of the summer was great it was just warm/hot no humidity then when it changed to humidity from the south that is when I don't like it, there was a summer about 3 or 4 years ago where for a month we had just blue skies no exceptional heat or humidity and that was brilliant. I am all for sunny hot summers if we can avoid the humidity unfortunately being an island it rarely happens.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

I'm with NTC et el.  Its time for the Summer Of Hell to do one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I am waiting for a big storm with plenty of rain, thunder and lightning that lasts for several hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
4 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

I am waiting for a big storm with plenty of rain, thunder and lightning that lasts for several hours.

Wouldn't that be great? Needs to be heading early evening so I can get my cloud fix then lovely flashes as it gets darker. 

Enjoyed these fresher days some what and the storms and rain. 

24c is enough. 

Bring on -2c and snow. I'll even take some pics!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather
2 minutes ago, Dami said:

Wouldn't that be great? Needs to be heading early evening so I can get my cloud fix then lovely flashes as it gets darker. 

Enjoyed these fresher days some what and the storms and rain. 

24c is enough. 

Bring on -2c and snow. I'll even take some pics!

I too would like storms start in the early too.  24 Celsius is the highest temperature that I can tolerate. That would be wonderful snow especially after a fortnight of more of mornings with severe frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
Just now, Katrine Basso said:

I too would like storms start in the early too.  24 Celsius is the highest temperature that I can tolerate. That would be wonderful snow especially after a fortnight of more of mornings with severe frost.

I was spoil last year with the snow so close to Christmas especially since we were going to see Santa. Magic. I've always liked cosy over swimming costume.  

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

The next 'heatwave' looks like it's a slow burner (if you excuse the pun), temperature creeping up day on day til'near the weekend.

Agree with posts about the humidity...up until early July the heat and humidity was fine but sadly when you get a component between south and south west with heat into July and more so August when the surrounding seas are almost at their warmest we become 'stuffed' particularly if you live in the south or south east.