Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who else cant wait for this heatwave to end??

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I don't get why they get so giddy either when they live miles away from the hottest temps. Crops are really suffering as are farmers who manage animals too. Surely food prices from UK grown produce will rise? Can't see how anyone in the right mind could be happy about that.

Miles away from the hottest temps, so true, just posting for 'likes' unfortunately.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Me.  I liked it when the heat was dry.  Coped in garden with using bath water, but humid heat k.o’s me.  Also, taking massive toll on agriculture round here.  The early silage harvested is now being used to feed sheep and cattle, and ground too dry for second sowing.  Bonus points no slugs, no heating bills, and as we live in slate house in Wales, no air on issues, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Agree regarding the "accumulating heat" comment. I just cannot get my flat cool. Going to open the loft hatch tonight in the desperate hope that it'll help. I'm seriously considering booking into an air conditioned hotel. Struggling to get it below 28c in here, currently 30 :(

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Agree regarding the "accumulating heat" comment. I just cannot get my flat cool. Going to open the loft hatch tonight in the desperate hope that it'll help. I'm seriously considering booking into an air conditioned hotel. Struggling to get it below 28c in here, currently 30

I wouldn't  your loft space will be like a furnace till about 3 am  best try to find away of creating a through draught with Windows 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I wouldn't  your loft space will be like a furnace till about 3 am  best try to find away of creating a through draught with Windows 

All doors and windows are open. We're lucky to have French doors in our living room opening outside but the problem is it's like a mill pond out there, so we can't get a breeze going.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
On 24/07/2018 at 06:38, nicklon1 said:

Definitely be glad when this comes to an end, us Brits work ourselves up into a frenzy when the hot weather comes due to the typically grey and dull conditions our island is famous for.

But the truth is that, in countries where these conditions are common, the locals are sensible and avoid being exposed for too long, hoping for cooler conditions.

There's this weird thing over here where it's seen as a bit of a weakness or a bit suspicious if you don't unconditonally welcome hot weather. As a golfer, these conditions are terrible for the course and for being uncomfortable to play in, which is sort of ruining the summer golfing season for me.

Got lots of proper gardening to do as well, cutting stuff back, filling up bags and taking them to the tip, and all I can do is sit mainly in the shade and imagine myself working.

It does make me chuckle though to think of the people completely committed to the "THIS WEATHER IS AMAZING" theory, standing on a packed tube train grimacing through a beaming smile while the sweat pours off them. "THIS IS GREAT, I'M LOVING THIS"

My thoughts entirely.  My father thinks it's the same psychology that makes people eat dangerously hot food - no-one has the balls to admit that it's painful and they can't taste anything as they don't want to be considered a wuss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Cant you get a portable AC unit for the price of a few days in a hotel??? Viking direct do them for under £110 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Luckily we live on the waterways and the.bottom half of the boat is always underwater (canal temp around 20 deg c), multiple roof hatches and doors open front and back for weeks on end means the boat has never been too hot. 

We have eaten dinner outdoors for the last two months, some BBQS but also cooking on the bbq which has a domed hood turning it into an oven.....also meaning there has been no oven on in boat to add to the heat.

I am not looking forward to moving back inside,  last winter went on far too long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
47 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I don't get why they get so giddy either when they live miles away from the hottest temps. Crops are really suffering as are farmers who manage animals too. Surely food prices from UK grown produce will rise? Can't see how anyone in the right mind could be happy about that.

Most of them haven't stopped to consider that prospect, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Most of them live oop north where they will be lucky to see 25c. Still 27.5c here probably higher in central london. I just cant understand what the attraction is.

Still,i suppose its only a matter of time before we get some proper interesting weather. This isnt interesting,its groundhog day....after day,after day!!

• Like 1

Posted

Approaching 10pm and it's still 25c. Nope nope nope.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Most of them live oop north where they will be lucky to see 25c. Still 27.5c here probably higher in central london. I just cant understand what the attraction is.

Still,i suppose its only a matter of time before we get some proper interesting weather. This isnt interesting,its groundhog day....after day,after day!!

Them

• Thanks 1

Posted

I agree that the heat has to go and i can't wait for it to end-and my god The Model thread need to get their heads out of the sand and realize that we are approaching the "enough is enough" stage with this heat-it has to break for good sometime-and since we want to compare this summer to 1976, may i remind them when that heatwave ended, it ended around August Bank Holiday weekend with a bang which was followed by a very wet autumn.

Edited by Weather26
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The past 2 pages of this thread have been a right laugh - perfect entertainment on a boring Wednesday evening. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 minutes ago, Weather26 said:

The Model thread need to get their heads out of the sand and realize that we are approaching the "enough is enough" stage 

And that will change the weather?

It feels as though I have been walking around in just my underpantz for what feels like months, now. Very much enjoying it in my part of the country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Approaching 10pm and it's still 25c. Nope nope nope.

Even worse for me - I have a phobia of moths but also hate heat, so I don't open windows ever so its ridiculous - when I lived in Salford in a little studio appt, I swear I reckon the temp once (indoors) was 45c+, I was poring of sweat continuously, I remember I drank 3 full bottles of champagne in one day to hydrate myself and I wasn't even close to being drunk, I reckon I was just sweating it out.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Even worse for me - I have a phobia of moths but also hate heat, so I don't open windows ever so its ridiculous - when I lived in Salford in a little studio appt, I swear I reckon the temp once (indoors) was 45c+, I was poring of sweat continuously, I remember I drank 3 full bottles of champagne in one day to hydrate myself and I wasn't even close to being drunk, I reckon I was just sweating it out.

No we're the same, I also absolutely detest moths! But I find as long as you keep lights off they tend to sod off. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Really agree with the author of this thread. Had a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in Sept.2015 and it's really affected my stamina/energy levels. Plus my wife and I live in a "doll house", sized house, in S.E.London. The heat just accumulates, day on day and doesn't disperse. We have a fan, in the lounge and in the bedroom and despite them being on full blast, for what seems like, weeks on end, it doesn't seem to make much difference. At times, just feels like warm air being circulated.  Fed up with reading some members on the MOD thread, seemingly being in "orgasmic" mode, over the heat. Come and live in S.E.London, in this heat, they might not be so enthusiastic about this horrid weather, then!! Yes, it really wants to "do one" now and b....r off, from whence it came!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Indeed Tom, same here just circulates warm air, I have ceiling fans good for nothing.. I’m so glad to be on East Sussex coast for this week nonetheless it’s been hot here, it’s very rare to experience here exposed, so back at home it must be like an oven, early summer was more bearable it was very warm but the humidity was not quite there. This tends to happen later in the summer. ARPEGE has 36C tomorrow in heart of London god forbid I would be using a non air-conditioned jubilee line I dodged a bullet. This weather has been going on since April where it almost tipped 30C, something seriously strange going on this year! Fragile Arctic sea ice and affect on jet stream the culprit? It ain’t behaving how it oughta we seem to be getting stuck in these weather patterns easterlies, to southerlies? 

E40F86AA-17E2-4AA7-A935-EF0A80D590B5.thumb.png.73d3d8858c6711723de52cc574ec6a52.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

No we're the same, I also absolutely detest moths! But I find as long as you keep lights off they tend to sod off. 

Yes your unlucky if you get a moth in with lights off, however, if you sit there with lights off looking at a computer and watching telly, or trying to cook, its a bit tricky.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
29 minutes ago, Weather26 said:

I agree that the heat has to go and i can't wait for it to end-and my god The Model thread need to get their heads out of the sand and realize that we are approaching the "enough is enough" stage with this heat-it has to break for good sometime-and since we want to compare this summer to 1976, may i remind them when that heatwave ended, it ended around August Bank Holiday weekend with a bang which was followed by a very wet autumn.

For you...

The model thread tend to get their heads around what the models are showing which, at the moment, is a brief lull in the heat over the weekend before a resumption of heat from mid next week. It does indeed have to break sometime, and at such point it starts appearing in the models consistently, I'm sure it will be commented on.

In the meantime, after two roasts tomorrow and Friday, I'd urge everyone to get those windows open over the weekend and let some of the 'fresher' air in for a few days. After one day of a temps in the low twenties here last Tuesday and a bit of breeze, the temperature went down from 28C to 23C in my bedroom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too

I'm autistic and have sensory processing issues at the best of times. Ditto my husband. And for both of us, heat is something we're sensitive to.

Thankfully we're in SE Wales rather than SE England, but even if it's not as intense here it is still relentless. We've only slept in the same bed once this month, and that was in an air-conditioned Premier Inn. In Lancashire.

(And we were there because of a family funeral. The statistics about more people dying in heatwaves and it being hard to know how many of them died because of the heat feel all the more personal when your husband's mourning the loss of his dad during one...)

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, ShinyDave said:

I'm autistic and have sensory processing issues at the best of times. Ditto my husband. And for both of us, heat is something we're sensitive to.

Thankfully we're in SE Wales rather than SE England, but even if it's not as intense here it is still relentless. We've only slept in the same bed once this month, and that was in an air-conditioned Premier Inn. In Lancashire.

(And we were there because of a family funeral. The statistics about more people dying in heatwaves and it being hard to know how many of them died because of the heat feel all the more personal when your husband's mourning the loss of his dad during one...)

I bet the figures are a lot higher than people dying in cold spells, contrary to what some of the fans of atlantic driven winters on this forum will have you believe, added to that that a good percentage of those weather related deaths in winter could be avoided by first of all checking weather warnings / models / forecasts etc and secondly but even more importantly, not pratting about skating on rivers / lakes that are iced over etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I bet the figures are a lot higher than people dying in cold spells, contrary to what some of the fans of atlantic driven winters on this forum will have you believe, added to that that a good percentage of those weather related deaths in winter could be avoided by first of all checking weather warnings / models / forecasts etc and secondly but even more importantly, not pratting about skating on rivers / lakes that are iced over etc.

Wouldn't be so sure about that - in a typical winter the number of deaths due to cold-related issues is in the thousands anyway. There were 34,000 excess deaths in the winter of 2016/2017. Heatwaves are definitely less disruptive to daily life than cold spells.

Edited by cheese