Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who else cant wait for this heatwave to end??

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
12 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

No, I think mid August will see the weather break, but the hot weather lasting until September is possible. 

A hot August is long overdue.

Not by as much as you'd think. In the past 62 years the average August CET of 18C+ has only popped up every 10 years meaning we are only 4 years overdue. 

People forget how abnormal it was to get 4 in a 13 year period. 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

No heatwave here either..20c showery rain. Rain total for the week now at 28.1mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
7 hours ago, nicklon1 said:

Definitely be glad when this comes to an end, us Brits work ourselves up into a frenzy when the hot weather comes due to the typically grey and dull conditions our island is famous for.

But the truth is that, in countries where these conditions are common, the locals are sensible and avoid being exposed for too long, hoping for cooler conditions.

There's this weird thing over here where it's seen as a bit of a weakness or a bit suspicious if you don't unconditonally welcome hot weather. As a golfer, these conditions are terrible for the course and for being uncomfortable to play in, which is sort of ruining the summer golfing season for me.

Got lots of proper gardening to do as well, cutting stuff back, filling up bags and taking them to the tip, and all I can do is sit mainly in the shade and imagine myself working.

It does make me chuckle though to think of the people completely committed to the "THIS WEATHER IS AMAZING" theory, standing on a packed tube train grimacing through a beaming smile while the sweat pours off them. "THIS IS GREAT, I'M LOVING THIS"

Rather odd comment. Sure, those in hot countries moderate their time in the sun (not least because the sun is quite a bit stronger and the heat is often more worthy of avoiding) but you don't hear them wishing in cool weather unless they're in silly heat territory, which is of course all relative. For example, the Spanish take it easy in the summer months, some areas still practising the siesta, but laud the sunny hot climate they mostly have over northern Europe's...

Likewise, I think heat lovers and heat haters alike abhor the tube in summer, me included, but given the short time spent on it, it's only a minor problem. Hot weather is very much mind over matter.

Typical talk of a heat moaner...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Its the high temperature on a night that gets me if it cooled down on a night it would be fine

Posted
21 minutes ago, snowgirl30 said:

Its the high temperature on a night that gets me if it cooled down on a night it would be fine

Have you thought about getting a portable air conditioning unit? I got one from homebase. It brings the little one's room down from 30oC to 23oC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days
8 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Have you thought about getting a portable air conditioning unit? I got one from homebase. It brings the little one's room down from 30oC to 23oC.

How much do these cost?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, snowgirl30 said:

How much do these cost?

They vary from 150 up to 7/800. If you only need to cool a small room like a bedroom you only need around ones that are 5000 BTU so maybe 200 quid. Mine was 300 and 12,000 BTU. I put it in little ones bedroom and leave door open and it cools most of upstairs. When it gets really hot I just have to shut her door and leave it in there to focus on the one room

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Considering it has been hot and sunny since May here, enough is enough, If I had any weather that hadn't changed since May, I'd be fed up, so heat waves bugger off now...thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm in the South East. 1.5 hours of moderate rain since first week of April. Missed every single storm. It's been hideous. Can't wait for it to be over. So I'm with you. Everything is brown, crispy, I'm worried about wildlife, and farmers. Today, 8am I smelt a strong smoky fire, and became very worried. Thankfully, it didn't come to anything. Apart from the pots, I've given up watering the garden, so all the borders are dead.

Oh how I'd love to wear proper clothes! Lol. Every day, shorts and t-shirt... arrggh.

And a cool bedroom at night!! #longing

What if it stays like this every year??

I'll be moving to Scotland.

????

• Like 4

Posted
18 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

cant be much of an A/C unit if its only dropped the temp by 3c in 3 hours!

I had the bedroom door open to try and cool the entire house down a bit, it's only 8000btu but does the job, woke up to a very cold 18oC this morning and had to turn the temp up! Perfect nights sleep, it's also kept the downstairs cooler due to the cooler air sinking down the stairs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Yes i think we could do with a good drench of rain very soon. It looks like it could happen towards the end of the week. Thereafter id like the heat to return, with preferably some thunderstorms thrown in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
39 minutes ago, Lucy said:

I'm in the South East. 1.5 hours of moderate rain since first week of April. Missed every single storm. It's been hideous. Can't wait for it to be over. So I'm with you. Everything is brown, crispy, I'm worried about wildlife, and farmers. Today, 8am I smelt a strong smoky fire, and became very worried. Thankfully, it didn't come to anything. Apart from the pots, I've given up watering the garden, so all the borders are dead.

Oh how I'd love to wear proper clothes! Lol. Every day, shorts and t-shirt... arrggh.

And a cool bedroom at night!! #longing

What if it stays like this every year??

I'll be moving to Scotland.

????

In the south-east too and you would think that sun and heat would be good for the garden, but nope, courgettes dead, tomatoes dead, cucumbers dead, peas dead strawberries dead, pumpkins dead, got loads of spinach though lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Just come off a customers site,showing 43c in the room i was in. Luckily i was parked in a quiet part of the car park,the noises i was making sat in the car with full aircon on could have got a few weird looks to say the least or arrested if the police had been near!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Not by as much as you'd think. In the past 62 years the average August CET of 18C+ has only popped up every 10 years meaning we are only 4 years overdue. 

People forget how abnormal it was to get 4 in a 13 year period. 

With a warming climate you'd think the frequency of such months would be increasing and I suppose that's what people thought at the time. Certainly when looking at many other climates in Europe the frequency of very hot months seems to have gone up a lot faster than it has here. Some places have had hot summer after hot summer (and by hot I mean relative to average, not in absolute terms).

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, MP-R said:

Typical talk of a heat moaner...

Just out of interest, as a "heat lover", what is your heating thermostat set to in winter? 34'c?

• Thanks 1

Posted
22 hours ago, Storme said:

I was 6 in '76. It was the year I got badly sunburnt and fell out of love with long hot summers. I get you with the walking through syrup though.

I think 1995 was the summer I enjoyed the most, and I was 19 back then. 89, 90, 2003 and 06 also come to mind. 

But, I think this summer is the longest warm to hot spell since 2003, and is in line with summers of 1995, and 83 for comparisons of long hot spells. The only thing that’s missing from this summer like those ones, is a thundery interlude. I suspect August will bring a very thundery period. Something similar to 1980-82, here’s hoping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
16 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think 1995 was the summer I enjoyed the most, and I was 19 back then. 89, 90, 2003 and 06 also come to mind. 

But, I think this summer is the longest warm to hot spell since 2003, and is in line with summers of 1995, and 83 for comparisons of long hot spells. The only thing that’s missing from this summer like those ones, is a thundery interlude. I suspect August will bring a very thundery period. Something similar to 1980-82, here’s hoping.

I'm out of the country for 2 weeks from Monday so that'll be your thundery interlude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, nicklon1 said:

Just out of interest, as a "heat lover", what is your heating thermostat set to in winter? 34'c?

Lol no. I'm also a cold lover and tend to put on the layers before whacking up the heating. Never more than 23-24C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity
2 hours ago, nicklon1 said:

Edited by NPUK
  • Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, MP-R said:

Lol no. I'm also a cold lover and tend to put on the layers before whacking up the heating. Never more than 23-24C.

Precisely - 23-24 is more than enough heat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, nicklon1 said:

Precisely - 23-24 is more than enough heat

Bearing in mind that if I dressed like I do in summer in winter, the thermostat would be a lot higher... 

Posted

I really hate this weather, it causes more disruption than a heavy snow fall, I have 3 dogs and they are feeling it too, I have a camping weekend starting tomorrow been planing for ages in Kent, with temps approaching mid ninties f this is going to be a problem until Saturday by the look of it.  On top of that we had no rain here since June 2nd, and the very weekend I go away its gonna be the hottest day of the year and its gonna chuck it down with rain as well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 19:54, snowgirl30 said:

Started this thread as im sick of the heat, fed up of melting everytime i move. Feel free to moan away 

Really agree with the author of this thread. Had a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in Sept.2015 and it's really affected my stamina/energy levels. Plus my wife and I live in a "doll house", sized house, in S.E.London. The heat just accumulates, day on day and doesn't disperse. We have a fan, in the lounge and in the bedroom and despite them being on full blast, for what seems like, weeks on end, it doesn't seem to make much difference. At times, just feels like warm air being circulated.  Fed up with reading some members on the MOD thread, seemingly being in "orgasmic" mode, over the heat. Come and live in S.E.London, in this heat, they might not be so enthusiastic about this horrid weather, then!! Yes, it really wants to "do one" now and b....r off, from whence it came!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Really agree with the author of this thread. Had a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in Sept.2015 and it's really affected my stamina/energy levels. Plus my wife and I live in a "doll house", sized house, in S.E.London. The heat just accumulates, day on day and doesn't disperse. We have a fan, in the lounge and in the bedroom and despite them being on full blast, for what seems like, weeks on end, it doesn't seem to make much difference. At times, just feels like warm air being circulated.  Fed up with reading some members on the MOD thread, seemingly being in "orgasmic" mode, over the heat. Come and live in S.E.London, in this heat, they might not be so enthusiastic about this horrid weather, then!! Yes, it really wants to "do one" now and b....r off, from whence it came!!

Regards,

Tom. 

I don't get why they get so giddy either when they live miles away from the hottest temps. Crops are really suffering as are farmers who manage animals too. Surely food prices from UK grown produce will rise? Can't see how anyone in the right mind could be happy about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1