Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who else cant wait for this heatwave to end??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I was 19 in 1976, Katrine, and it was fantastic - now, though it's like walking through syrup!

But six weeks' incessant thunderstorms would make up for it!?️⛈️ 

I was 6 in '76. It was the year I got badly sunburnt and fell out of love with long hot summers. I get you with the walking through syrup though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

You old fart ed

Moi?

• Like 1

Posted

This weather can do one now. Its the repetitive boredom of it gets me being a weather enthusiast. I like all types of weather but having the same almost identical stuff day in day out since June 2nd is boring now,and not even a decent storm! However,as many have said'humidity hasnt been too bad.I forget what green grass looks like, my tomotoes are shrivelled and my spuds are tiny.And getting fed up of looking at corned beef legs on the tube!

Edited by Wimbledon88
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Storme said:

I was 6 in '76. It was the year I got badly sunburnt and fell out of love with long hot summers. I get you with the walking through syrup though.

I was 6 in January 1963...Beat that!:yahoo::yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
42 minutes ago, reef said:

I've been coping alright until today. A 18.6C min last night followed by probably some of the worst conditions I've ever experienced in the UK - a temp of 30.3C with a dewpoint of 20.3C.

It would be OK if there was the odd cooler day, but its been relentless for a couple of weeks now.

Absolutely, it wasn't too bad until early last week when the humidity really increased.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

This weather can do one now. Its the repetitive boredom of it gets me being a weather enthusiast. I like all types of weather but having the same almost identical stuff day in day out since June 2nd is boring now,and not even a decent storm! However,as many have said'humidity hasnt been too bad.I forget what green grass looks like, my tomotoes are shrivelled and my spuds are tiny.And getting fed up of looking at corned beef legs on the tube!

I think the humidity has been quite bad, if one is based in central London. I walk around in the city and west end for a living, and while I enjoy the sun and clear days with hot weather, the humidity that’s been present since late June is becoming unbearable. 

My main issue with it, is the difficulty in sleeping when the outside nighttime temp is still around or above 20 degrees at midnight or even later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
24 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I was 6 in January 1963...Beat that!

Nope! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

I've got an 85 year old father who is struggling in this heat (doesn't go out), trying desperately to keep the house as cool as possible (impossible) but he's struggling and we've got at least another few days of this. For once I want the Atlantic to do something (not often I say that) ...starting to cheese me off! it's been going on too long now.

A hot August long overdue!?!...we had a pretty warm one in 2016, certainly in the south east.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

While consistently warm or very warm, it's not been heatwave territory all the time here (i.e. 28C+). Neither has it been too humid, although some of the cloudier days have been a bit clammy - the hottest days though have been pretty dry heat. It can stay as long as it wants as far as I'm concerned but could really do with some rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

I've got an 85 year old father who is struggling in this heat (doesn't go out), trying desperately to keep the house as cool as possible (impossible) but he's struggling and we've got at least another few days of this. For once I want the Atlantic to do something (not often I say that) ...starting to cheese me off! it's been going on too long now.

A hot August long overdue!?!...we had a pretty warm one in 2016, certainly in the south east.

And that's the difference between dealing with significant cold and heat. At least with significant cold you can stick the heating on, it's far easier to warm up indoors in the cold than cool down in a heatwave with no a/c.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

I find that my spuds practically disappear - but that’s normally when it gets very cold.

In this heat and humidity I’ll admit I’m having to give them a good old wash every couple of hours.

Phew!

I’m finding my aubergine does very well on a warm day. I keep taking it out to show ppl.

Don't like to let it get too near ppls dogs though. Ouch.

:pardon:

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Definitely be glad when this comes to an end, us Brits work ourselves up into a frenzy when the hot weather comes due to the typically grey and dull conditions our island is famous for.

But the truth is that, in countries where these conditions are common, the locals are sensible and avoid being exposed for too long, hoping for cooler conditions.

There's this weird thing over here where it's seen as a bit of a weakness or a bit suspicious if you don't unconditonally welcome hot weather. As a golfer, these conditions are terrible for the course and for being uncomfortable to play in, which is sort of ruining the summer golfing season for me.

Got lots of proper gardening to do as well, cutting stuff back, filling up bags and taking them to the tip, and all I can do is sit mainly in the shade and imagine myself working.

It does make me chuckle though to think of the people completely committed to the "THIS WEATHER IS AMAZING" theory, standing on a packed tube train grimacing through a beaming smile while the sweat pours off them. "THIS IS GREAT, I'M LOVING THIS"

Edited by nicklon1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I know as a whole the summer has been warmer and drier than last year, but in terms of heatwaves, have we even matched that amazing 5 day spell of weather from last June? The records say 5 days of 30c and above, the hottest June temperature since 95 and it just felt a little more intense than the heatwaves we've had so far this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

My garden is loving this warmth getting an early harvest this year despite everything going out much later than normal due to the freezing March

Posted

Hmm.  I'm in two minds.  I'm loving the fact every day is sunny and I can play footy on my lunch break, but the high temperatures are a bit of a pain for me as I'm prone to over-sweating.  Fortunately my employer has allowed everyone to wear casual/beach clothes during the heatwave and we've got decent air con (although the usual moaners keep making us turn it off due to being cold).

When it does end I want it to go out in style, something similar to 24th June 1997 would do nicely.  Or maybe a couple of slow moving supercells crossing Essex.....

Edited by fujita5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
46 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

My garden is loving this warmth getting an early harvest this year despite everything going out much later than normal due to the freezing March

Freezing March?...let's put that into perspective, all in all about 4/5 cold/very cold days and the rest nearer normal.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Personally I’m loving this weather, except when I’m on the Tube which is hell! Hope it continues.

Can completely understand more vulnerable people wanting the hot weather to end. 

Posted

If I was still at school, or even at university (such as in the glorious summer of 1995), then I would be very happy. When you have to work and commute though, it's not so good.

Fortunately I'm in a position where I can work from home, generally at least three days a week. Going up to London yesterday was horrific though! I get an early train so I can avoid the worst of the rush, but coming home was horrible. The Bakerloo line in particular is terrible and it really does bake you. I sweat like crazy anyway (being from N. Ireland where 20oC is considered a heatwave) and really don't like the feeling of a shirt soaked in sweat.

Highs of 25oC and lows of around 14oC would be ideal. Yesterday's high of 31.4 in the garden (probably a degree or so higher in London - although it was a little cloudier there) is very uncomfortable, and the house does not really cool down enough at night. I'd prefer a couple of days of heat followed by some rain and fresher air rather than relentless, baking temperatures. I'm not interested in record highs!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

We have a lightwell behind out flat (don’t have a garden unfortunately) but managed to get some top quality fake grass once from work which we’ve laid out over the decking, and we’ve strung up some lights around the wall.

Also fitted a fake picket fence, and I’m getting a couple of Philips hue bulbs at the weekend so we can have dimmable wall lights controlled from the iphone.

Usually it’s not the best place to sit on a bright sunny day, as it’s only a small area  and it’s in the shade from 12pm onwards. It also gets quite dingy - even on a very bright and clear day - but in this current heatwave it’s become something of a haven.

We can open both the patio doors and it extends our lounge outside and cools the house really well.

At night it’s lovely with the lights on - sat out last night doing some work on the laptop listening to the foxes and various nocturnal animals shuffling about in the woods next to us. It felt like being indoors it was so warm. Absolutely love it!

(Also the grass is still a rich green colour)

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted

I'm thankful that it's actually been fairly pleasent up here in scotland (without the real heat that we had say a few weeks ago) although warm at times and rest of this week looks quite comfortable (and a nice dollop of rain to boot last night too) Next week open to question though................