Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - summer rolls on

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

As feared the storm for Sunday is rapidly gaining support, the only way I can see it being avoided is if the remnants of Florence move more slowly across the Atlantic then forecast. Still a distinct possibility it may stay out west with high pressure allowed to build over the UK as early as Sunday if this was the case... but the stormy solution is what I see being the most likely option.

It may not be as severe as some previous GFS runs have suggested but severe gales are a possibility,

I think I may have to call off the fishing trip for Sunday....

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening! Gfs the king of models at the moment... the Storm for the weekend will make this September one of the stormiest for many years...Gfs has constantly for days now shown this evolution , Ecm has been pitiful in its output....The Gfs has shown for days now some damaging winds , flooding rain and Yes some very early snowfall for Northern Uk,  A Storm to be watched.....

porthcawl.png

porthcawlx.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I think we should factor in the higher sst's  around the BI thanks to a prolonged summer,that will(i think) aid more in the way of cyclogenesis

the 18z gfs is at it again,this is worrying times as much as i would like to see it happen but the other half of me would not want it to happen cos i fear there could be a fatality or two if it was to come off

this could be dangerous.

gfs-0-114.thumb.png.de8c84e7417cf6eaa30fd4d6ad0d8dde.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
spell check
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the FAX charts at 12Z Saturday?! 

UKMO & FAX, respectively:

UKMOPEU12_96_1.thumb.png.9bc6c4f48910a0fc27edd56d6b74f6c0.png BRAEU_120.thumb.gif.a1155b059465fbc40e69d12703364949.gif

A good few differences there..

And the latest ukmo fax chart for 12:00 sunday:help:

20180918_1936.PPVO89.thumb.png.c7365e30e88f231b66f48a1ce62616ef.png

the gfs has been bang on the money,if it still comes off but it has been consistant the last few days.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

And the latest ukmo fax chart for 12:00 sunday:help:

20180918_1936.PPVO89.thumb.png.c7365e30e88f231b66f48a1ce62616ef.png

Not as deep or threatening by the looks on the fax chart, my other slight criticism of this storm is I would prefer the isobars to be tightest on the SE flank like Oct 16th 1987, I would love to see a really potent sting jet occur slap bang over my house.

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not as deep or threatening by the looks on the fax chart, my other slight criticism of this storm is I would prefer the isobars to be tightest on the SE flank like Oct 16th 1987, I would love to see a really potent sting jet occur slap bang over my house.

Lol

the storm is only aproaching N Ireland/West Scotland on that chart and is further north than the gfs and later,where as the storm(center is over east anglia) on the gfs,there will be a lot of fine tweaking/timing to come nearer the event that's for sure.

both for 120 hrs

20180918_1936.PPVO89.thumb.png.7a0898cce7b1cefd7cb62798771efd9c.png120-515UK.thumb.GIF.fe9d3af885d2f9718c1b793fd33f09e2.GIF

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted

The gfs ends with a split flow over the pole....again,been a re-occuring theme from the gfs.

gfsnh-0-384.thumb.png.ac6f487caa3371770667e1290a4469e2.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Really? It went slap bang over my flat in 1987 and it was horrific! I was petrified, but unlike my neighbours ended up with an intact roof. Wouldn't want to repeat it, or wish it on my worst enemy 

Yes, I really don't see the point of talking about weather if your just interested in it from a sunbathing point of view, cant think of anything more boring than sitting next to a pool in spain just lying down.

• Like 3

Posted

The control and the mean at 120.

gens-0-1-120.thumb.png.95998ab359f1b1c3946ab0ea38b7ede4.pnggens-21-1-120.thumb.png.3079857897624ddca0d19877ebcb0274.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Gosh, that 18Z GEFS ensemble member No. 1 looks particularly scary!  Would definitely get thrown out of the galaxy if that happened.

Going to be interesting to see what both the 00Z GFS and 00Z ECMWF show. I suspect that bad boy will still be showing. But who knows! ?‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Wind gusts look pretty devastating for the SE on the 0z GFS

Netweather GFS Image

This is after giving some other areas of the UK a battering a few hours earlier

Netweather GFS Image

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
5 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, I really don't see the point of talking about weather if your just interested in it from a sunbathing point of view, cant think of anything more boring than sitting next to a pool in spain just lying down.

I lived through that night in October 1987 and more importantly here the daytime storm January 1990, and trust me- you don’t want to be under that sting when it happens. We all like weather and storms/snow but when it’s endangering your life or you are scared and hope you’ll live like previous poster highlighted, you wouldn’t be so flippant.

Anyway- this is ironically looking more like a January 1990 type storm, incoming from the SW in the morning before zipping through- that storm caused gusts over 100mph on Dartmoor but hopefully it’ll miss the high tide on East coast. But I doubt it worryingly 

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

You truly are nuts!  Oct 1987 caused huge destruction and brought significant misery to many. We do NOT want that!

• Like 9

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Wind gusts look pretty devastating for the SE on the 0z GFS

Netweather GFS Image

This is after giving some other areas of the UK a battering a few hours earlier

Netweather GFS Image

Netweather GFS Image

That area of force 12 winds is back on the 00Z, sweeping down from Northumberland down to Norfork during Sunday night. 

This is still some way off though - intensities may change yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
7 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That would be great!  If it's over your house, that means it's not over my house.   So I'm crossing my fingers for you!  I'm also hoping that the models are correct about the settled period which is predicted to follow next week, because you'll need a few days to get your roof repaired.  You might want to think about hiring a generator because you probably won't have any power.  We lost power for six days in October 1987 with part of the roof off and a tree resting on the car.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Some people are concerned that there might be a hurricane coming....don't worry, there isn't......        

image.thumb.gif.acee642508efce5a7b3964f6aa5c49c0.gif

The winds over the central UK are only shown to be gusting up to 75mph....

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Some people are concerned that there might be a hurricane coming....don't worry, there isn't......        

image.thumb.gif.acee642508efce5a7b3964f6aa5c49c0.gif

The winds over the central UK are only shown to be gusting up to 75mph....

Only... Been a long time from when we last had 70mph in my part of the world. 

What's also odd is the high RES models have increased wind speeds tomorrow too for the south and now looks a real chance of some gales on the southern coast... 

With such a sharp temperature gradient set up out in the Atlantic between cold and warm air it's no suprise to see lows barrelling in. 

What I do like the look of though is we have to sacrifice a bad week for what is looking like a fantastic week next.. 

Give and take I suppose, mother nature likes to keep us on our toes 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Morning chaps.

Model discussion in here please, there’s a thread a plenty for historical weather chat and preferences and all that kind of thing.

merci!

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Someone can probably just delete my reply, sorry!

Edited by Danielvn