Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - summer rolls on

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, tinybill said:

if  it do we might need  to batten the hatches  down!!

I know I'm in the minority wanting summer weather, majority want it wild wet and windy

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

In all honesty I think the ECM is going to be right about the hurricane near the Azores heading our way. It would be very unusual for such a storm to remain stagnant in the mid Atlantic for days and then fade away to the south. The intensity left in the storm as it heads NE would remain in question, as would its direction, so current T216 not to be taken too literally. 

The clusters, by the way, are now buying into a stormier period around the 18th/19th, at least for the NW but potentially for all, as suggested by the deep purples and tight lines near the UK (they have been threatening this for a while but have brought the timeframe further forward today):

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018091000_204.

And beyond that, the Atlantic remains in full swing as the end of month approaches. Not very typical of recent Septembers!

Given the SST anomalies to our S&W would you count on any storm losing much intensity before it reaches our shores? 

I think this general set up was warned about a few weeks back by some on here, given the cooling to our N and extremely warm SSTs around the UK after such a warm summer.

If nothing else, there could be copious amounts of rain falling across the UK this autumn- there is certainly the potential.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Given the SST anomalies to our S&W would you count on any storm losing much intensity before it reaches our shores? 

I think this general set up was warned about a few weeks back by some on here, given the cooling to our N and extremely warm SSTs around the UK after such a warm summer.

If nothing else, there could be copious amounts of rain falling across the UK this autumn- there is certainly the potential.

Completely agree. With so many hurricanes on the go, a fuelled up jet and the things you mention, I feel the second half of September could see a very notable storm for the UK - or two. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Pub run has a brief plume and temps pushing 30C in the southeast from T180 onwards. All these tropical shenanigans create a lot of confusion.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Plume-tastic ECM this morning, turning very warm through next week as the trough stalls out west. One of a number of options with the tropical low.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 4

Posted
8 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Lovely GFS, Snow advancing westwards in Russia + vertical WAA into pole.

gfsnh-0-264_qik8.png

deep FI, about same distance away, great EC

ECM1-216.GIF?11-12ECM1-240.GIF?11-12

• Like 1

Posted

So silly season is upon us, with the behavior of hurricanes throwing up all sorts. Some runs this morning like the GFS continue to push ex Helene in our direction, initiating a wet and windy period. However, ECM gets Helene through the pattern faster and it ends up north of Scotland, dragging up a warm southerly in its wake, and temperatures close to 30C in the SE eventually. Looking at all the runs, there currently seems a fair split between both options, with most runs now giving up on the idea of stalling Helene for days by the Azores. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Good God!...don't look at the ECM 0z if your not a fan or early Autumn heat, development of a bloody tropical storm interacting with the jet stream causing that!

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h850t850eu.png

ukmintemp.pngukmaxtemp.png ukmintemp.png ukmaxtemp.png

Well, it's nice to see the actual AAM finally trending positive and the GWO on a phase 3-4 movement, after the concerns of recent days with the observations refusing to follow the model simulations. Even now, how much AAM rise occurs is questionable - but even a little bit may well be enough to direct ex-Helene in a manner that's very conducive to large-scale warm air advection across the UK from the SSW or S.

The tropical infusion results in an exceptionally warm night or two in recent ECM and GFS runs. The early Wed temps on the 06z GFS aren't far off the long-term average maximums for mid-September.

Once ex-Helene has moved through, the main question is then to what extent the Atlantic trough, boosted by the tropical infusion, is able to overpower the Euro ridge. I expect GFS is displaying some classic bias with that, but ECM may be too, i.e. while the former is too progressive, the latter might not be progressive enough. The balance of power here will have a huge effect on UK temperatures.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
11 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Lovely GFS, Snow advancing westwards in Russia + vertical WAA into pole.

gfsnh-0-264_qik8.png

Somewhat bizarrely (and surely coincidentally) the 6z has almost identical synoptics at nearly the same timeframe:

gfsnh-0-264.png?6

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Somewhat bizarrely (and surely coincidentally) the 6z has almost identical synoptics at nearly the same timeframe:

gfsnh-0-264.png?6

Yes, these are the pressure / height patterns I would like to see in late Oct / Nov.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, these are the pressure / height patterns I would like to see in late Oct / Nov.

patterns I wanna see Dec

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

patterns I wanna see Dec

Yes but if you see rampant zonality in Nov all the way around the globe at 50-60N, then unlikely to see the above patterns in Dec, im not one that subscribes to the view that you cant have a very wet troughy UK in Nov and still have a blocked Dec but you really need the Zonality to not get too far past the Prime meridian, you still want the Russian high to be a major player. its about building blocks.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

A look at all models from the 12z suite at T144 (I don't think much meaningful can be said based on the operational output beyond this time at the moment).  Here GFS, GEM, UKMO, FV3 and ECM:

image.thumb.jpg.287f1f7502022e29cba1b2285d64f50e.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3b7efe8a0c71b2dfe6b24efe3f2d7ada.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.2dccf30e9ea2889f496b4d0c23597237.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.7253e834720da935c55a72418d22dd64.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.41f2ce9f7aa44daf64bcdd4022b47d88.jpg

And to give the T850 for the ECM, there's some warmth here:

image.thumb.jpg.4e551941cbf58052a5e92457c11afd84.jpg

What happens after is open to question I guess, the earlier 0z suite had heatwave from ECM and GEM and storm from some of the others.  Many variables at the moment, CFS and GEFS differ markedly in terms of AAM forecast, CFS first:

image.thumb.jpg.801fc24acc6388c78897821fe0582eee.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.c6ea87fe8bc0c04fa412e7f0bd3ddb10.jpg

so there is some support if I'm reading these right for the ridge to the east scenario, but at the same time there's the wildcard tropical storms to contend with.  On balance I favour a southerly in about a weeks time giving a final burst of summer, unclear how long it will last.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

cool EC! still going for mon-wed kinda plume, similar to summer before last, plumes tended to arrive Tue/wed, fresher from the west Thurs, won't get me any 'likes' like 2 posts above, but who gives a damn, 5 likes for no charts, talking about winter

ECM1-144.GIF?11-0ECM1-168.GIF?11-0ECM1-192.GIF?11-0

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

ECM again showing how ex tropical systems can be friend as well as foe - throwing up a big warm ridge of heat, with temps back into the 80s Fahrenheit. Still looks to iron out, could just end up flat and westerly, though the London ensemble mean is almost touching 15c in a weeks time. It’s more likely than not at present.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Actually, and probably just for fun given uncertainty, ECM does go on to deliver a real final blast of summer at T240:

image.thumb.jpg.8cb798fb734ab9e7b9a8655ac6c0498b.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.0b824686426c239b69dfcb730d2298dd.jpg

I think this is a decent bet for reasons expressed in my last post, but considerable uncertainty remains.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes but if you see rampant zonality in Nov all the way around the globe at 50-60N, then unlikely to see the above patterns in Dec, im not one that subscribes to the view that you cant have a very wet troughy UK in Nov and still have a blocked Dec but you really need the Zonality to not get too far past the Prime meridian, you still want the Russian high to be a major player. its about building blocks.

Completely agree. Even in the extremely wet and unsettled Nov 2009 you could see the building blocks appearing on a hemispheric scale. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
21 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

Completely agree. With so many hurricanes on the go, a fuelled up jet and the things you mention, I feel the second half of September could see a very notable storm for the UK - or two. 

This could get interesting, ex hurricane Helene (as she’ll be when getting to us) could work in our favour and drag in a very warm late summer plume.  One to watch, a big hit of a storm or stay more west and bring S to SE winds.

Interesting to see a lot of extremes apparent

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
28 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

ECM again showing how ex tropical systems can be friend as well as foe - throwing up a big warm ridge of heat, with temps back into the 80s Fahrenheit. Still looks to iron out, could just end up flat and westerly, though the London ensemble mean is almost touching 15c in a weeks time. It’s more likely than not at present.

Can't remember too many times of recent years that these type storms which have developed from southerly latitudes have impacted that greatly on these isles in regards to high wind and heavy rainfall (well certainly towards the south)...always seems to suck up very warm air as being the most noteworthy point...all I can say is yuck!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Summers over..it's time for a new thread!!!..or is it? the Ecm 12z doesn't agree.:shok:?️..Ahhhaaaaaaaaaaaa

240_mslp850.png

240_thick.png

240_thickuk.png

cashback.jpg

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 9