Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - summer rolls on

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!

Have to say GFS 12z has got me thinking WOWZERS!!!!

Complete ridge fest after Wednesday with two potential plume scenarios. 

That has to be a 8.5/10 for that run

☀️

MNR

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
12 minutes ago, mother nature rocks said:

Have to say GFS 12z has got me thinking WOWZERS!!!!

Complete ridge fest after Wednesday with two potential plume scenarios. 

That has to be a 8.5/10 for that run

☀️

MNR

My teleconnection rating would be about that too, a good effort if a little slow off the mark and still slightly far west with the high centre... perhaps. Always some wiggle room with these things - else we’d reliably have very accurate day-by-day forecasts at over a week’s range!

UKMO looks close to the full 10, not sure if the Atlantic trough is set to dig down quite enough as of day 6 though. Hmm yes I am harsh it turns out .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
5 hours ago, mother nature rocks said:

GFS 6z looks very high pressure dominated till the end of low res. Plume doesn’t make it on this run but still very warm nonetheless with uppers averaging out @12/14. So not to shabby.

Again, it’s only one run so no need to despair!!! 

The is coming home

MNR

Given that the post I'm quoting was as much of a ramp than an objective analysis, I trust that my cool ramping response will be treated as leniently by the moderators.  I think the poster might be surprised to learn that there are some down here in the south and east who are more likely to despair at the ECM 00z showing 20+C 850hPa temperatures than the 06z GFS indicating a merely hot spell of weather rather than daytime mazima of 39-40C which will undoubtedly cause an increase in hospital admissions. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I really like how the ukmo 12z turns out at T+144 hours, i can only see it getting better and better with high pressure and increasing warmth which is the form following this cooler atlantic blip... I'm quietly confident that another very warm / hot spell is on the way from later next week onwards..look at that heat just to the south of the uk!

UW120-21.gif

UW144-21.gif

UW144-7.gif

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

UKMO 12z seems to suggest any plume will be further west than the recent example.  While I don't wish to inflict a heatwave on those in the west and south-west who do not want it, surely it's only reasonable for more areas to enjoy/endure plumes this summer?

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
17 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

UKMO 12z seems to suggest any plume will be further west than the recent example.  While I don't wish to inflict a heatwave on those in the west and south-west who do not want it, surely it's only reasonable for more areas to enjoy/endure plumes this summer?

Yes, I agree, I think the next plume if it happens will impinge the SW first, because of the build up of heat that might be advected towards the UK from that direction.  GFS 12z shows this too, T216:

image.thumb.jpg.70d25352a0c51ec0bd845d0089238ff8.jpg

It's quite impressive how far into the Atlantic the models are regularly predicting the very hot air will get further south.  Having said that most runs I've seen run the hot air  across Southern England to the SE pretty quickly even if they enter the SW first.  No guarantee there is going to be another plume yet, although it looks likely.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

ECM 12z looking like a cracking run so far if the rebuild of summer '18 is your thing.  Here T168, high in place, low out west may assist in developing a plume later, let's see:

image.thumb.jpg.59efc93f13cc74238025269d3075436e.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

ECM T192 strengthens case for a plume probably impinging the SW first:

image.thumb.jpg.d93b91d8245468f9a3b5d098862c48d5.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.01f0bbe0db37170eee20288e05a87c10.jpg

Edit: maybe the heat going towards the SE actually at T216:

image.thumb.jpg.35a4f5e0a7fd6828f1aced62fb6ae723.jpg

Edit: deep heat retracting, but resurgence of high pressure from the Azores at T240:

image.thumb.jpg.76c616de693f7c8dab7f670d831daa69.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.a6fd023529d9d18c4b3d047df01dc646.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4

Posted

Not much comment about the Ecm 12z but I like it a lot, pressure gradually rising across the uk, becoming generally warm, indeed very warm or hot again across the south and becoming largely settled with plenty of sunshine..☺..just get rid of this cooler atlantic dross and back to the heat asap!..maybe even some more thunderstorms for the south later too?️

216_thickuk.png

216_mslp850.png

240_thickuk.png

240_mslp500.png

240_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted

The GEFS 12z mean shows the great weather coming back with high pressure / strong azores ridging and becoming very warm / hot across southern uk, especially southern / southeast england where temps would return to the high 20's / low 30's celsius. 

21_126_500mb.png

21_126_2mtmpmax.png

21_150_500mb.png

21_150_2mtmpmax.png

21_174_500mb.png

21_222_500mb.png

21_222_2mtmpmax.png

21_270_2mtmpmax.png

21_294_500mb.png

21_342_500mb.png

21_366_500mb.png

21_366_2mtmpmax.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High pressure, snow + alll extremes of weather

Totally agree re the ECM’s strange goings on. With the frames being 24hrs apart, I’ve always enjoyed trying to work out what the next one will be, to some success.

But the last few days, I have no idea what it’s going to do next! The frames just don’t seem to stitch together logically if you know what I mean. 

• Like 1

Posted

After the ECM ensembles it looks like the form horse is very much the re-ridging from the Azores that we saw for much of early summer, so lots of glorious summer weather, ECM mean at T240:

image.thumb.jpg.b83e037c09f8ad26fc2f0fd2ab66e819.jpg

FIM9 at T228 has a similar idea

image.thumb.jpg.d60f2e647886487c877cbc305a0c4d37.jpg

My expectations are that this type of scenario (which is lovely summer weather )  will continue to be shown by model output, as will the high temperature plume scenarios.  Who knows which will win, but both are a long way from the Atlantic dominated summers of recent years!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

Overall it looks like the next hot spell may eventually include northern and western parts as well !  

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, JBMWeatherForever said:

Overall it looks like the next hot spell may eventually include northern and western parts as well !  

Yes, I completely agree, I'm aware that while the northwest had a great spell in late spring, the July heatwave has had a SE focus.  I think the next phase will encompass for some time at least a UK high, and in any plume scenarios, maybe a lead in temperatures from the SW.  We all win at some point!  GFS next weekend shows the UK high.

image.thumb.jpg.cb738faa6c079bb2c6d972ad20b3c60b.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Craig84 said:

Totally agree re the ECM’s strange goings on. With the frames being 24hrs apart, I’ve always enjoyed trying to work out what the next one will be, to some success.

But the last few days, I have no idea what it’s going to do next! The frames just don’t seem to stitch together logically if you know what I mean. 

They will physically and mathematically, as that is how the model works, also how a human does it over a 24-36 hour period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

No end to summer in sight tonight as ridging increases from days 6-8 especially and cements itself on GFS in particular.

Some differences between the Euro and GFS output at days 5 and 10 as we see the Euro put more strength into the jet stream and keep a flatter (though jet well north of the UK) pattern. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!

After yesterday’s GFS 12z run which was probably the best in a while, this mornings 0z was a slight step back but gaining strength again with the 6z. From 8.5/10 to 6.5/10 back to 7.5/10. 

Would not be surprised to see this afternoons run pushing back into 8.5 or 9/10 territory. 

Dont think the amount of heat the uk receives will be sorted out till tues/weds but what is nailed on is that the settled conditions will be back as of late weds!!! (see below)

MNR

BE008366-3B84-4411-9FEE-4505F8EC52E1.jpeg

Ps, just like to say thanks to Team Jo for the words last night, that was put in the most perfect way. Cheers 

Edited by mother nature rocks
  • Like 7

Posted

As the windy and rainy spell has now arrived, maybe the models will be clearer on what's to come on the 12z runs tonight.  First UKMO at T144:

image.thumb.jpg.89bf9559c198d6f04217ea124fdde0dc.jpg

High pressure nosing in, with a low in the Atlantic that could produce plume potential later.  Why do the UKMO charts come out in such a weird order on Meteociel with the T96 first!?

Edit, 850s now out at same time, could get interesting if these are pushed further north:

image.thumb.jpg.1137c635687dec0ac25a4f618b1b5580.jpg

ICON is getting the heat in quickly here at the end of the run, T180, similar shape to the heat to the south as UKMO actually.

image.thumb.jpg.1321acd512c4f8a32b86174354c22756.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3159c978d88c1d9339c939d98b60b4d0.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Looking like a given to turn exceptionally hot across Iberia and France....it’s just how far north that heat can go. Looking very nice at day 4/5/6 on the 12z runs though, temps around the 30 mark in the south.

• Like 2