Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - summer rolls on

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Temps wise, they have been oddly slower to rise today despite lighter winds for most, but the calmer air may allow a later maximum than usual so perhaps another couple of hours of climbing temps still to come.

Anyway - I just wanted to briefly highlight just how out of kilter UKMO remains relative to the other models for this weekend;

Rukm961.gif Recm961.gif Rtavn901.gif

It really is amazing, and if by some minor miracle the low does stay weak and slow, it will be one of the greatest single-global model victories I've seen in a long time (I say global as ARPEGE is quite similar as of the run's end at +108).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Having been in the background for a while, I feel it is time to post with this extraordinary spell upon us.

Re the next 48hours, the GFS has been correcting itself each run, steadily coming into line with the other models in regards to the high uppers and stalling of the front to the west.

My gut feel is that the July record is under threat but I doubt the August one is yet! With potentially thunderstorms breaking out and some cloud around, I expect 36c is most likely across East Anglia and the Southeast. Favoured spots must be places that have done well this week like Central Suffolk but also Essex and Kent could also be a challenger. 

Re this weekend, my thoughts are that it will get cooler but I expect temps to hold up to the mid 20s across the far SE, elsewhere early 20s with some showers around.

Going forward, I expect some more heat plumes but also sense that August will be wetter than June and July as thunderstorms will likely become more apparant in a more unstable setup.

Looking back at analogues, September could well also be interesting - further plumes and stalled lows look more likely than normal at first and when the Atlantic does break through we could see some very eventful weather! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Thanks for that jo!

temps rising a tad slowly today, a couple of 30c recorded now though ....the real scorching heat looks like tomorrow and Friday. With that front forecast slightly more to the west, a real chance of that July record going on Friday. Amazing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 6z mean becomes exceptionally good with high pressure / strong azores ridging and hot temperatures gradually returning across england and wales during the course of next week, becoming warm / very warm further n / w too...no end in sight to this wonderful summery pattern apart from the odd blip (this weekend / start of next week).☺

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

What’s interesting about the possible mid 30s temperatures is if you look at the bare 850s you might not expect that .

This is where the extended dry spell is key for those high temps, dry ground is a better conductor of heat.

• Like 9

Posted
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

What’s interesting about the possible mid 30s temperatures is if you look at the bare 850s you might not expect that .

This is where the extended dry spell is key for those high temps, dry ground is a better conductor of heat.

Which begs the question - if we can potentially achieve 37C with 16 / 17 uppers, would could be achieved with uppers above 20?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Very true - which is why a shot at 40c this year with the ground as it is.....perfectly possible. A lot of rain over the next week could have a slight effect, but if it’s torrential most could just run off anyway.

Posted

Oh yes. Great summery by Tamara as usual - the timing and 'shape' of the tropical cycles is looking to be close to optimal this summer for challenging all-time temperature records in the UK.

The largest uncertainty in my mind is how well we hold onto the dry end of the soil moisture feedback component. Thunderstorms aside (very high rain rates won't perculate into the ground very well), the models show wide areas seeing something between 5 and 30 mm between late Thursday and early Tuesday (could be some overestimation in there though; we know GFS and ECM go a bit bonkers with convective initiation and coverage). Now as far as I can imagine, anything less than 10, maybe even 15 mm is probably not going to bring about more than a temporary increase in surface soil moisture, as that which gets into the soil will have a lot of dry material lower down to continue on into.

Beyond those amounts, I'm not sure how much and lengthy an impact may be had in the face of renewed dry weather and very warm to hot temps (with very hot following if the soil dries out enough) - perhaps someone knows of a way to estimate the required amount based on measured soil moisture content?

12z runs rolling out. Let's see if UKMO can achieve a sensational victory .

Edited by Singularity
Thinking Forward
  • Like 6

Posted

You gota laugh at the gfs!!it takes the plume further west on friday on this run aswell!!a failure at short notice!!could be some spectacular thunderstorms in places!!

• Like 3

Posted

h850t850eu.png h850t850eu.png

Hmm. Look how the secondary low out west has become more elongated and weaker... will it go the way of the UKMO 00z and hold the system back west until Monday, as a shallower feature?

Yep - I have the capacity to continue to focus on the weekend when Friday is far more interesting .

• Like 3

Posted

Finally the GFS has the highest uppers further west on Friday and mid 30’s possible at surface level as a result. You can normally add 2/3 degrees to raw GFS output as well.

78F2563C-F2B6-4E4D-B3DC-5DF9D77A6945.png

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me
8 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Finally the GFS has the highest uppers further west on Friday and mid 30’s possible at surface level as a result. You can normally add 2/3 degrees to raw GFS output as well.

78F2563C-F2B6-4E4D-B3DC-5DF9D77A6945.png

What do you reckon for Stoke tomorrow then Matt?

Posted

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

ukmaxtemp.png ukmaxtemp.png

GFS 12z is warmer than the 06z overall by day for each of Sat, Sun and Tue. Very slightly so for the preceding Fri but not much in it. Monday omitted as temps are about the same.

Interesting that the run did keep the low weaker and more strung-out, but still managed to get it as far east as the 06z. The main reason the run is warmer is that the less intense circulation doesn't throw as much polar maritime air across us, in fact we're in a wide warm sector on Sunday;

h850t850eu.png

Meanwhile, the weaker secondary low means that the focus of the parent trough comes together during the early part of next week further to the west than previous runs had it;

h850t850eu.png h850t850eu.png

...which helps get the new ridge and associated tropical maritime airmass in faster, with temps likely back into the 30s across the SE by Wed (bias-accounted).

h850t850eu.png ukmaxtemp.png

The Scandinavian high has gone a strange shape again, but maybe having so much heat associated with it just serves to mess up the stable dynamics aloft, such that even supportive tropical-extratropical forcing is unable to keep it going as more than a ragged feature with relatively low SLP?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

What do you reckon for Stoke tomorrow then Matt?

Around 30’C would be my guess. Probably reaching 35’C in some south eastern spots. I think 36/37’C is a bit of a stretch for Friday. Might be a lot of cloud from the approaching frontal systems but you never know. There must be a decent chance if the pros think so and, like I said, you can normally add a few degrees to raw model output.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

Around 30’C would be my guess. Probably reaching 35’C in some south eastern spots. I think 35/37’C is a bit of a stretch for Friday. Might be a lot of cloud from the approaching frontal systems but you never know. There must be a decent chance of the pros think so and, like I said, you can normally add a few degrees to raw model output.

Perhaps the soil-moisture feedback will suppress cloud amounts much as has been seen quite a bit during the past few weeks. This adding to the increased surface heating potential as a double-whammy of influence. Just a thought!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Much better runs from the 12zs!!still close to mid twenties throughout the weekend for central and eastern england and the rain not as persistant crossing the uk sunday into monday and more sporadic!!friday is the day if rain is what your looking for lol!!oh and to add we are back into the oven from tuesday lol!!crazy heat coming out of france!!

Edited by shaky
  • Like 3

Posted

Rukm961.gif Rtavn961.gif

UKMO finally caved in and is a close match to GFS in secondary low advancement - though it's still shallower, amazingly enough.

It stays very close to GFS for +120, but +144 sees a very shallow low pulled out of nowhere and deposited over far-S UK, leaving us looking east instead of west for the heat.

Rukm1441.gif

Er, excuse me UKMO, but we've had enough complications now, thank you! 

• Like 1

Posted

GFS 12Z in FI is absolutely stunning. I can't remember the last time I saw charts like that in August.  I know it's still a fair way off but the evolution is clear already- you can see the high building back in into Tuesday.

It doesn't get a lot better than this for sunshine and heat:

GFSOPEU12_216_1.png

With the heat building up on the continent over the last few weeks and some very high SSTs, we could be looking at some truly historic.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

GFS 12Z in FI is absolutely stunning. I can't remember the last time I saw charts like that in August.  I know it's still a fair way off but the evolution is clear already- you can see the high building back in into Tuesday.

It doesn't get a lot better than this for sunshine and heat:

GFSOPEU12_216_1.png

With the heat building up on the continent over the last few weeks and some very high SSTs, we could be looking at some truly historic.

And deadly don't forget. Very much a life threatening scenario.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
6 minutes ago, Dominic Carey said:

Wow yet again amazing output today and as others have said apart from a blip or two the heat is continuing.

Yes the Gfs 12z operational shows heatwave conditions returning across the southern half of the uk from the second half of next week, high pressure and lots of hot sunshine.☺

• Like 4