Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - summer rolls on

Paul

Posted

Not sure I've ever seen a MEAN chart at over 300 hours with temps showing high twenties....insane. Goes to show the massive support for a significant heatwave for the beginning of August

Screenshot_20180722-222811.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

What complete and utter nonsense!  

The background signals and the long rangers are all pointing to a continuation of fine weather for the British Isles, CFS for August, need to view these as a probabilistic forecast, so no point looking at one run, but add these four to the ones I posted yesterday:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d8af95ed7f22db9eimageproxy.php?img=&key=d8af95ed7f22db9eimage.thumb.jpg.fd64954247219121575512693bfe86b4.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.02d99f772650f72dbe5c30e14c605e43.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.34a3571125bdabf0f821d980a72087c3.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.95d35d30dc7a6b54d2892496a35e5b09.jpg

Quite. Sorry Jo. Please delete.

Edited by Biggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
12 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Wash out conditions for august...hmmmm yeah right, not according to the GEFS 12z mean!!☺?️

21_294_500mb.png

21_318_500mb.png

21_318_2mtmpmax.png

21_342_500mb.png

21_366_500mb.png

21_366_2mtmpmax.png

21_366_850tmp.png

The current evidence supports the opposite of an August wash out..more of this beautiful summer. Next weekend could be fresher but still very warm with mid to upper 20's c across southern uk but then I think the heat will build again..and the next five days or so for the SE..  absolute SCORCHER with temps between 30-34c 86-93f.☺

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted

18z has the Atlantic trough further west and a better pull northward of warm uppers out to 96 hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, londonblizzard said:

What's the highest 850hpa temp known to have hit the UK? 

Was only 4 months ago I was asking the same question for the lowest 850 temp. 2018 - a year of extremes

Not sure but I believe  23 c 850s have reached the uk

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

23C touched the south coast in 2015. Not sure what 2003 was but I don't think 25C uppers have ever been reached in recorded history

Was going through 2003 just now - Looks like the highest was 22C skirting past the south coast then

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
8 minutes ago, londonblizzard said:

What's the highest 850hpa temp known to have hit the UK? 

Was only 4 months ago I was asking the same question for the lowest 850 temp. 2018 - a year of extremes

23C in Aug 1990 just clipping across Brighton overnight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Turning our attention to the shorter term for a moment, the GFS has a second front crossing the UK on the Sunday..

GFSOPEU18_165_33.png

Posted

GFS18z tries to plume by day 10 (though as soon as we switch to lower resolution afterward it blows up a low next to Spain)..

GFSOPEU18_240_33.png

GFSOPEU18_240_2.png

If we ignore the post day 10 blow up which is what suddenly pushed the 20C uppers northward then i can certainly see the south east and East Anglia getting 15C+ uppers. Still not convinced on 20C, certainly not from this run given what it required.

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

Wtf is the 18z randomly creates lows pretty much everywhere in Fl. Still somehow reaches 38C though on th 3rd again 

It creates a low off the coast of Portugal once we hit low resolution which moves directly north despite thickness values falling to it's east which essentially takes over from the low with a front over Scotland/Ireland moving slowly south.

I think a better version of Friday is more likely with a more EA/SE orientated event. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
19 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

B4-6z runs..the theme continues.

A minimal 'perhaps blip, otherwise its in the oven-and with the likelyhood of the gas mark being further tweaked.

Some eye waterring candidates flagging.

The london ens are hot/very hot...perhaps getting hotter!!!

Surface conditions staying hot throughout especialy southern most parts.....news making weather beholds!!°

MT8_London_ens (3).png

temp4.png

I agree. The tv forecasts for today showing 32c or perhaps 33c as a maximum temperature and with no let up in the reliable, 34c or 35c will surely be reachable, most likely on Wednesday or Thursday. Short-term upgrades in temperatures are often unforeseen in the NWP outputs for whatever reason, the same goes for extreme minimums in winter to my mind. As for next week and beyond, I'll leave that to the others.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS 6z has temperatures topping 30’C still on Saturday. That’s 6 consecutive days of temperatures in the low to mid 30’s there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted

What a hot run this gfs 06z is so far!!!oit to 168 hours and high pressure stays in control up to then at least with high twenties widely across england at the weekend!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Clear signs emerging(relflecting the ens)..of the ridge punching back...mixing out the trough...

With the jet gaining a more northwards amp-any blip looking more and more short lived...that maybe so-even further northwards as we gain....

gfs-0-168.png

gfs-5-168.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1