Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Paris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I'll be going to Paris for a week at the end of the month, any ideas on where to visit apart from the usual touristy bits like Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and the Louvre - and will I get around OK with only basic French skills?! Thanks.

Posted

You may find it helpful to obtain a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to Paris.  Used Guides can be purchased from Amazon for a few pence + postage.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
22 hours ago, CheesepuffScott said:

I'll be going to Paris for a week at the end of the month, any ideas on where to visit apart from the usual touristy bits like Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and the Louvre - and will I get around OK with only basic French skills?! Thanks.

I would always recommend the Promenade Plantée:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/07/paris-promenade-plantee-free-elevated-park-walkway-bastille-bois-de-vincennes

and the Petite Ceinture (Little Belt)  which is less well known than the above but utterly beguiling:

https://worldinparis.com/walking-on-railroad-tracks-la-petite-ceinture-paris

On a hot day, the Grand Mosquée de Paris is also very well worth a visit. It is in the lovely 5th arrondissement and offers a chance for a nice refreshment break. The surrounding streets are fascinating also.

Again one for the heat, which you will almost certainly have - take a Bateau Bus ride along the Seine. This is a scheduled bus service, not one of the touristy ones, and you can pop on and off when you like with a day ticket visiting most of the main attractions, but also with the ability to get off the beaten track if you want to.

Oops - forgot about the "basic French" question you asked. You'll get around just fine, but do try to use your basic French. People really appreciate it.

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time - it's difficult not to 

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
29 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

I would always recommend the Promenade Plantée:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/07/paris-promenade-plantee-free-elevated-park-walkway-bastille-bois-de-vincennes

and the Petite Ceinture (Little Belt)  which is less well known than the above but utterly beguiling:

https://worldinparis.com/walking-on-railroad-tracks-la-petite-ceinture-paris

On a hot day, the Grand Mosquée de Paris is also very well worth a visit. It is in the lovely 5th arrondissement and offers a chance for a nice refreshment break. The surrounding streets are fascinating also.

Again one for the heat, which you will almost certainly have - take a Bateau Bus ride along the Seine. This is a scheduled bus service, not one of the touristy ones, and you can pop on and off when you like with a day ticket visiting most of the main attractions, but also with the ability to get off the beaten track if you want to.

Oops - forgot about the "basic French" question you asked. You'll get around just fine, but do try to use your basic French. People really appreciate it.

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time - it's difficult not to 

Thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

I love Paris ,if you arrive by train the area around Gard Du Nord is seriously edgy and can be a shock you are not ready for it !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Paris is a bit of dump compared to years gone by IMO..anyways Palace of Versailles and the Gardens are a good day out

Posted
43 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Paris is a bit of dump compared to years gone by IMO..

IMO Paris is a great place to visit. Don't know how many years or experiences, in your short life, and to which you refer, have changed your views about Paris (however I think it has been 6 or 7 years since I spent some time there) Loved it then and still want to go back.

CheeseP, I'm sure you will enjoy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I’m potentially going there in a fortnight for a work trip. Would be excited but I can guarantee my boss will find a way to distill all the enjoyment out of a two day/ one night visit - it seems to be a talent he has developed 

Posted

36 minutes ago, ciel said:

IMO Paris is a great place to visit. Don't know how many years or experiences, in your short life, and to which you refer, have changed your views about Paris (however I think it has been 6 or 7 years since I spent some time there) Loved it then and still want to go back.

CheeseP, I'm sure you will enjoy.

Just to add, in case you trip over or become ill, take advantage of the 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/free-ehic-card/

It may not be available next year after the brexit palaver.