Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2018

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lol, you're all talking about record temps and I'm sat here with the fire on. Been raining nearly all day and about 10C outside, with it not getting much above that as a high. Oh well, the smile will be on my face when it comes to snow potential in a few weeks. 

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Lol, you're all talking about record temps and I'm sat here with the fire on. Been raining nearly all day and about 10C outside, with it not getting much above that as a high. Oh well, the smile will be on my face when it comes to snow potential in a few weeks. 

What a funny country we can be. Just been outside to pick up the washing in a light t-shirt, and briefly considered sitting on the patio with a beer, it's that warm here, and it's not even fully cloudy. Enjoy your snow when it comes! 

Posted

Its worth noting that the min temp of 18.8C this morning didn't only beat the previous October record by a whole 1.9C, but it's actually the third warmest minima of any month here in the last 38 years.

The other two days with warmer minima of 18.9C and 19.1C both came in July this year!

It's still 19.7C out there now aswell.

Edited by reef
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Was like a summers day, very warm, humid and sunny. Beautiful. 

Posted

It reached 19.9C here yesterday with cloud and windy weather, It was very mild overnight with a min of 16.6C on Friday evening,
but the temp fell to 13.9C by midnight on Saturday night so it won't show on my records.

In general though this Autumn has been pretty boring here.. some pretty cool minima at the end of September and one on the 7th Oct (0.1C) but otherwise, nothing particularly notable in any department. No notable falls of rain. Windy on Friday/Saturday but not really 'stormy' (it rarely is here these days).
No convection or even sunshine and shower days (when was the last one of those?)

Funny how often the bits of weather we have had i.e occasional wet days seem to have been weekends though!

And from the models it looks like yet another boring-type high pressure is coming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Weatheronline 2-monthly outlook

Stormy November?
Higher pressure December

*November*

• Consistently shows as an unsettled month.
  • May be stormy with strong west winds.
  • Wetter than average, especially in the west.
  • Expect nearer average temperatures in south.
  • May become colder and drier later in the month.

*December*

• Drier than average month overall.
  • Higher pressure builds.
  • Frosty nights and increasingly cool south and east.
  • Little change is expected through the month.

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/reports/seasonal-outlook.htm

• Like 1

Posted
On 13/10/2018 at 18:25, Ravelin said:

It was warm in London on Saturday, but October 2018 is not record warmth. It’s been nice, but nothing unusual. 

Octobers of 1985, 95 and 2011 were warmer. Maybe people are so excited, because it’s later in the month. But. I recall a few occasions when 20c or above has been recorded into the last week of October. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 14/10/2018 at 00:00, reef said:

Its worth noting that the min temp of 18.8C this morning didn't only beat the previous October record by a whole 1.9C, but it's actually the third warmest minima of any month here in the last 38 years.

The other two days with warmer minima of 18.9C and 19.1C both came in July this year!

It's still 19.7C out there now aswell.

So 1980 was a warm October then?

Posted
55 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

So 1980 was a warm October then?

A poor choice of words on my part perhaps. My records start in 1980 so I probably should have said in at least the last 38 years.

October 1980 was pretty average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It was warm in London on Saturday, but October 2018 is not record warmth. It’s been nice, but nothing unusual. 

Octobers of 1985, 95 and 2011 were warmer. Maybe people are so excited, because it’s later in the month. But. I recall a few occasions when 20c or above has been recorded into the last week of October. 

2014 it reached 24c on 31st October

Posted

I've also found it a little annoying that over on the MOD thread during the last few days, certain posters have been bigging up these 'above average temperatures' to the extent they're claiming this is the year of no Autumn, as if we're having some sort of extended Summer instead. 

I pointed out that after Wednesday last week (which was admittedly pleasant) that the weather had gone downhill after that with both windy and wet conditions dominating (here at least) and I was told that the temps were high for the time of year though. How can anyone be excited by that. It's a bit like having cold rain in mid April and claiming it's an extended Winter based on it. As,far as I'm  concerned the weather has been Autumnal this Autumn even if the temps have been above average for some of it. Nature certainly seems to think so with many of the Autumn colours coming out now.

The irony is though if we were having an actual Summer like this all the Summer fans would be moaning about how Autumnal its felt. 

Yes Summer 2018 was a good Summer but it's long over now and the weather now isn't anywhere near as summery as it was then. The Summer fans should just accept that their favourite season isn't coming back until next year now and that we've got the rest of Autumn plus an whole Winter and Spring to get through before it does. Not to mention back in March when the continuation of wintry weather seemed possible on the models into April (didn't transpire as such in the end really) the Summer fans were telling the Winter fans that they'd had enough and wanted some proper Spring now. They got that with bells on in the end, especially come May which was possibly one of the most summery May's ever. Some people just like the idea of it been warm from mid February to mid December though. Each to their own I suppose, but I still maintain that the weather this Autumn hasn't been very summery and that it certainly hasn't been an Autumnless year so far.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I've also found it a little annoying that over on the MOD thread during the last few days, certain posters have been bigging up these 'above average temperatures' to the extent they're claiming this is the year of no Autumn, as if we're having some sort of extended Summer instead. 

I pointed out that after Wednesday last week (which was admittedly pleasant) that the weather had gone downhill after that with both windy and wet conditions dominating (here at least) and I was told that the temps were high for the time of year though. How can anyone be excited by that. It's a bit like having cold rain in mid April and claiming it's an extended Winter based on it. As,far as I'm  concerned the weather has been Autumnal this Autumn even if the temps have been above average for some of it. Nature certainly seems to think so with many of the Autumn colours coming out now.

The irony is though if we were having an actual Summer like this all the Summer fans would be moaning about how Autumnal its felt. 

Yes Summer 2018 was a good Summer but it's long over now and the weather now isn't anywhere near as summery as it was then. The Summer fans should just accept that their favourite season isn't coming back until next year now and that we've got the rest of Autumn plus an whole Winter and Spring to get through before it does. Not to mention back in March when the continuation of wintry weather seemed possible on the models into April (didn't transpire as such in the end really) the Summer fans were telling the Winter fans that they'd had enough and wanted some proper Spring now. They got that with bells on in the end, especially come May which was possibly one of the most summery May's ever. Some people just like the idea of it been warm from mid February to mid December though. Each to their own I suppose, but I still maintain that the weather this Autumn hasn't been very summery and that it certainly hasn't been an Autumnless year so far.

WWS.

No-one is, in a literal sense, suggesting that we are currently missing a season; it's an idiom, a turn of phrase, that's all.

I can still recall the 'Spring' of 1975: cold and grotty throughout March, April and May, with snow falling widely on June 2nd...The fact that a mere four days later, one of the Twentieth Century's best ever summers was underway, gave many of us good cause to remark about the apparent lack of a Spring...?

IMO, seasons are a movable feast and are not tied to certain dates; the date-obsession is just another way in which us humans like to think we're really in control...We're not in control. Not in control at all!:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Have gone from abnormally cold in September and early October to now being abnormally warm and sunny

Posted

Above average temperature?  Year of extended summer/no autumn? Are some on Netweather on drugs? The whole UK was cold in September. So far most of England's October has been warm but Scotland's and the North above Yorkshire have not. So, Scotland and some bits of northern England have had a colder than average Autumn so far and Yorkshire southwards have been about average. I dare say some places down south have been warm but they will probably be the minority. Yes it's warm from noon until 4pm in the lovely sun but I've had numerous chilly morning runs to school before you can feel any sun, my shower heat setting has gone up again this week thanks to colder water, and the boiler is running more than normal to heat the house with the chilly nights. Maybe some posters don't get out of bed before lunch!

ncep_cfsr_t2m_anom_092018.pngncep_cfsr_t2m_anom.png 

Topcliffe, N.Yorks. Historic September average 13.2C. This September 14/30 days were above that. Historic October average 9.8C. 13/19 above. Today will make 13/20 (but remember that's early Oct temperatures against mid-Oct historic average and late month temps are more likely to be below mid-month average. That's 27/50 days above average for autumn so far and

quite likely to drop to 50% when October ends

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Topcliffe/statistics.html

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03265&ano=2018&mes=10&day=19&hora=16&min=0&ndays=50

I'd just say we've had more clear skies and bigger daily temperature swings. Night shift workers would say it's been cold!

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 6

Posted
29 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Flew from the far east back to London today. The UK by far the sunniest place on the whole journey! 

Your carbon foot print has gone up a size or two after that!

:D

• Like 1