Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2018

Posted
8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

The autumn equinox

A surprisingly cool feeling day around Manchester despite the sunshine- struggling to remember such a cool spell so early on in autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I think we are likely to see far more HP domination rather than any fired up jet over the next couple of weeks.   Chilly nights but some good daytime warmth to be had at times

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted

One way you can tell we're into or getting towards the cooler half of the year in our house is that the temperature inside starts to feel fairly chilly. It's 15.8c in my room at present. I know if that was the temperature outdoors on a Winter's day that would be classed as exceptionally mild, but indoors that's not very comfortable. I haven't put the heating on and even when we do in the Winter it takes ages to warm up and quickly cools down when it's off (it's an old house by the way). During the Summer though I noticed it was often in the high 20s. It's funny though because I like it to be cold in the Winter but the only downside to that is the house is bloody freezing. Then again even in mild Winters it feels uncomfortably cold in here, except maybe in December 2015 I think I remember it not been a problem (not that I wish for a repeat. I'm too much of a snow fan to want that). My mum however first moved into this house in the late 60s (it was my grandparents house before hers) and she remembers it before double glazing and frost been able to form on the inside, although we still get heavy condensation on them during the Winter months, especially in the mornings. Oh well, we're trying to sell up at the moment so hopefully our next house won't be so bad. It probably feels worse today because I've gotten used to it been so warm the last few months more than anything and its usually later than this that I start to feel the chill indoors I think.

Posted
9 hours ago, Scorcher said:

A surprisingly cool feeling day around Manchester despite the sunshine- struggling to remember such a cool spell so early on in autumn.

2015? I remember Septembers 1993 and 1994 being chilly

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

2012 was the last time I recorded a minimum as low as last night. Before that, 2010.

Posted

So models firming up even more on strong mid lat HP to dominate over coming couple of weeks, and one senses possibly even beyond.  A good diurnal contrast likely too this time of year with pleasant warm days and chilly nights.  Are we to see a true ‘Indian Summer’ this year.....late warmth after first frost?

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

2015? I remember Septembers 1993 and 1994 being chilly

There were some cool days in 2015 but I don't think many days that we're 12/13C as maximums. 1994 is a good shout looking at the stats but I can't remember it. 2012 had some cool days too.

Posted

It’s definately getting colder, and shorts and t shirt weather seems like a distant memory, although I was in Spain a week ago, so still had summer weather to enjoy over there.

We turned the heating on during the weekend, as anything south of 17 degrees in London is cold enough, and daytime temps struggled to hit 13 on Saturday and Sunday. It was too cold to sit in the flat without some heating on.

I’m not one of those who waits until November to switch heating on, just to save on energy bills, and advertise it like a badge of honour. If you feel cold, the heating goes on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

So models firming up even more on strong mid lat HP to dominate over coming couple of weeks, and one senses possibly even beyond.  A good diurnal contrast likely too this time of year with pleasant warm days and chilly nights.  Are we to see a true ‘Indian Summer’ this year.....late warmth after first frost?

BFTP

Where did all that 'September heat' - that you, me (mea culpa!) and some others were all trumpeting - go, Fred?:oops::D

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s definately getting colder, and shorts and t shirt weather seems like a distant memory, although I was in Spain a week ago, so still had summer weather to enjoy over there.

We turned the heating on during the weekend, as anything south of 17 degrees in London is cold enough, and daytime temps struggled to hit 13 on Saturday and Sunday. It was too cold to sit in the flat without some heating on.

I’m not one of those who waits until November to switch heating on, just to save on energy bills, and advertise it like a badge of honour. If you feel cold, the heating goes on.

It was perfectly comfortable in my flat without the heating on. I just put on a long sleeve shirt and that was it. 

I kept the balcony door closed though for the first time since May.

Posted
1 hour ago, karyo said:

It was perfectly comfortable in my flat without the heating on. I just put on a long sleeve shirt and that was it. 

I kept the balcony door closed though for the first time since May.

Our flat is in a converted Victorian house, so it becomes cold very quickly. But, during the plus 27 degree days in July it was like an oven. 

Poorly insulated old housing. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Our flat is in a converted Victorian house, so it becomes cold very quickly. But, during the plus 27 degree days in July it was like an oven. 

Poorly insulated old housing. 

Oh yes, in July my flat was also like an oven. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective
15 minutes ago, karyo said:

Oh yes, in July my flat was also like an oven. 

Sounds like living on my narrow boat.oven in Summer and freezer in winter. Been close to firing up the fire but been holding off so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Living upstairs in a 1980s block of 4 flats, I have the delight of storage heaters. They’ve never been on once, in the nearly 5 years I’ve lived here. I make do with a Calor Gas heater -and luckily downstairs have a toddler so I get the heat from their use of the storage heaters. :) The only year I suffered was in 2016/17 when the old neighbours refused to heat so no residual heat, I got bitterly cold.

Flat was cold yesterday morning but I’m out of gas so it’ll wait till pay day. Luckily a bottle in winter lasts about 5 weeks- apart from February/March when we got snow and it was only 3 weeks! 

Posted

I’ll have the heating on now probably until next April. Evenings and mornings at the moment though, but once we hit late October, the heating will be on low during the night time and day, until March.

The reason for this, is so we don’t have to encounter any damp mold problems, and that happened once, because we didn’t use the heating until late October a few years back. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ll have the heating on now probably until next April. Evenings and mornings at the moment though, but once we hit late October, the heating will be on low during the night time and day, until March.

The reason for this, is so we don’t have to encounter any damp mold problems, and that happened once, because we didn’t use the heating until late October a few years back. 

I have condensation mold but it surely will be less if you have the heating off, as condensation is caused by the difference in temperature between the outside and inside so if its -10 and then you decide to put the heating on full, it would be about +25c or more on the inside but if you didn't it would be single figures.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Keeping the flat warm at all times during the winter is better, as opposed to having it switched off for many hours, then putting the heating back on, by that stage the flat is freezing cold. This in turn creates the damp moist problem.

The temp in our flat can fall as low as 8-12c during the day, if we leave the heating off, once the daytime temps outside are below 14 or 13 degrees.

Keeping our flat warmer at 18 to 21c stops the damp from building. Plus, it wasn’t too expensive to keep the heating on low during the day and night, and only on a 1-2 setting, so it never feels too hot.

Posted
7 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Where did all that 'September heat' - that you, me (mea culpa!) and some others were all trumpeting - go, Fred?

Not over yet but Not as warm and way too sporadic.....but it must have been ‘generally’ good with plenty of HP influence as a I’ve played a fair bit of golf this month.....and I don’t play in the rain or when it’s cold and windy .  Looking good for late ‘warmth’ though abd plenty of ‘golf’ weather ?? 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

We only get damp and mould in bathrooms from time to time, thanks to family shower use.  I always used to run central heating only when it got cold but I've learned that putting it on for short periods earlier, when it first cools, dries out the wood and textiles in the house so you get less condensation when the proper cold arrives.

Posted

I get condensation and dampness mainly in the en suite bedroom from late October to end of February. So I use a dehumidifier for a couple of hours every morning which reduces all that extra moisture.

After February the rising sun solves the problem. I also make sure I air the rooms when possible.  

Posted

This time last year it was (nothing to see here move along) until the middle of October when the highlight was the severe gales and yellow sky,red sun.

First ground frost last year was October 30th at 0.5c

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

This time last year it was (nothing to see here move along) until the middle of October when the highlight was the severe gales and yellow sky,red sun.

First ground frost last year was October 30th at 0.5c

Will defo beat that this year....solar minimum kicking in big style and ‘nothing’ won’t stop it not even warmist mildism

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Will defo beat that this year....solar minimum kicking in big style and ‘nothing’ won’t stop it not even warmist mildism

BFTP

After last winter and spring I`ll believe anything will happen.:shok::cold: