Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2018

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
On 21/08/2018 at 21:15, damianslaw said:

Yes there has been a correlation to an extent, 2006, 2011, 2014, 2016 spring to mind, as warm Septembers followed by mild winters. Conversely 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2017 brought cooler Septembers followed by cold winters. 2009 however, wasn't especially cold September and what followed was the coldest winter since 78/79. 

2005 another example of a very mild Sept followed by a winter with some cold conditions at times - nothing special mind.

I think it depends on an extent to how the warm weather has come about, a persistant SW / S flow with high minima perhaps not a good omen.. whereas a blocked set up with high pressure killing off the atlantic - perhaps a better omen..

Not sure if 2017/18 was a cold winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Not sure if 2017/18 was a cold winter?

0.2c below the 81 to 10 average

So overall I think we could describe it as a fairly average winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

0.2c below the 81 to 10 average

So overall I think we could describe it as a fairly average winter

1981-2010 average, that's probably why. Here in the south east the mild January more than off-set the average December and cool February.

Posted
9 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

1981-2010 average, that's probably why. Here in the south east the mild January more than off-set the average December and cool February.

Perhaps better to say average to colder than average winters, both 05/06 and 17/18 being close to average. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Is it fair to say that in normally warm Plymouth I was cold in bed- therefore I can dig out my duck feather 15 tog duvet? 

Cost me an arm and a leg but this thin summer thing doesn’t do it for me :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Those not wanting a warm September better go abroad.  Heatwave anyone?  Could be a scorcher...certainly first 3rd...but I think that theme will continue throughout the month in general....much warmer and drier than average. Not an Indian Summer in true sense....but it will be referred to as such

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
On 24/08/2018 at 09:47, Turnedoutniceagain said:

BBC radio weather this morning:

"Remote Scottish glens could see their first frosts this weekend" .......Here we go !!

vizzy2004, on the frostwatch thread, claims an amateur weather station recorded -0.1C at Carrbridge, in the western Cairngorms, on August 8th. Could be right since Aboyne, in the eastern Cairngorms, recorded +0.5C.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
On 24/08/2018 at 09:47, Turnedoutniceagain said:

BBC radio weather this morning:

"Remote Scottish glens could see their first frosts this weekend" .......Here we go !!

Bet they will see their first frosts a good 3-4 months before the rest of us. And I bet the any snow the very tops of the Scottish peaks have had will be more snow than any of us will get all winter. Mark my words.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
55 minutes ago, cheese said:

Bet they will see their first frosts a good 3-4 months before the rest of us. And I bet the any snow the very tops of the Scottish peaks have had will be more snow than any of us will get all winter. Mark my words.

That would probably be true of just about any year wouldn’t it !! ?? 

Posted
36 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

That would probably be true of just about any year wouldn’t it !! ?? 

Depends on the year. Some years, frosts occur widely in October, locally in late September. Some years, not until well into November, sometimes even December - and there have been years where many UK locations have not recorded a single frost at all in one of Dec/Jan/Feb (sometimes 2 or all three). 

And the snow on the very tippy tops will only be transient and slushy, I suspect most of us get more snow than that in a typical winter.

I think this winter will be the mildest ever though, will make Dec 2015 look like Dec 2010 by comparison.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
12 minutes ago, cheese said:

Depends on the year. Some years, frosts occur widely in October, locally in late September. Some years, not until well into November, sometimes even December - and there have been years where many UK locations have not recorded a single frost at all in one of Dec/Jan/Feb (sometimes 2 or all three). 

And the snow on the very tippy tops will only be transient and slushy, I suspect most of us get more snow than that in a typical winter.

I think this winter will be the mildest ever though, will make Dec 2015 look like Dec 2010 by comparison.

I don’t think any one knows what December will be like this year, beyond darker and cooler than it is now ! But it is fun to speculate nonetheless :)

Edited by Badgers01

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
18 minutes ago, cheese said:

What makes you think this? Is it because the summer has been so hot?

I remember very cold winters following much warmer than average summers in past, late 70s early 80s for example. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

I remember very cold winters following much warmer than average summers in past, late 70s early 80s for example. 

Aye, there's no correlation either way...If there were, folks would have made themselves millionaires by now...?

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

No, my tea leaves say so.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Have a feeling this winter will be something similar to 1987/88, where it starts off cold, but by mid December will turn mild and remain so during January and February. Hope I’m wrong though.

Would prefer something similar to 86/87 with snow, or 90/91, 81/82 or any of the winters between 2008/09 to 2010/11.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Have a feeling this winter will be something similar to 1987/88, where it starts off cold, but by mid December will turn mild and remain so during January and February. Hope I’m wrong though.

Would prefer something similar to 86/87 with snow, or 90/91, 81/82 or any of the winters between 2008/09 to 2010/11.

similar to 2010-2011, at least here, winter practically over by 10th Jan

Posted

Like anybody I don't actually know what type of Winter we'll get next, but I think there's perhaps a higher chance of a cold Winter than was the case between 2013 and 2017. 

I think last Winter (which extended into early Spring) perhaps marked the start of a trend towards colder and more snowy Winters. I say this as they often seem to come in clusters of close proximity. The last such one was of course the period from about 2008 to 2013. Other past clusters have been those from say 1993 to 1997 or the really long period from 1976 to 1987. I'm hoping that 2017 marked the beginning of a new cluster.

On the other hand it could turn out to be an isolated case in a group of milder Winters.

It should be noted though that even in periods where cold Winters are more dominant, they can be and often are broken by individual milder Winters, such as 2011/12 in the 2008 to 2013 period.

As for this Autumn, I have no idea beyond the beginning of September looking like it might be warm and dry. I'm hoping that we get some cool foggy and frosty conditions though at least later in the season as we head closer to Winter and maybe some snow as well as a bonus, though I'm willing to wait until Winter proper for that really.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

similar to 2010-2011, at least here, winter practically over by 10th Jan

But 2010/11 had a decent dumping of snow and cold in the first half of that winter. Plus, it still beats most winters since then and even matches those ones from the 80s 

• Like 1

Posted
On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:30, damianslaw said:

Perhaps better to say average to colder than average winters, both 05/06 and 17/18 being close to average. 

Similar winters in a way end of feb easterly both years, 05/06 was one of the driest winters,great winter for little to no atlantic and 17/18 amazing much wetter from the snow... November 05 was very solid too.

2 my of favourite winters and I`ve seen the 80`s all including march of course for the extreme events,december gave an extreme event also last year.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
15 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Similar winters in a way end of feb easterly both years, 05/06 was one of the driest winters,great winter for little to no atlantic and 17/18 amazing much wetter from the snow... November 05 was very solid too.

2 my of favourite winters and I`ve seen the 80`s all including march of course for the extreme events,december gave an extreme event also last year.

Funnily enough that dry 2005/6 gave my home town in the Highlands its least snowy year (2006)recorded by some way.  There were only 12 snow lying days with around 10 of them actually in March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Weather online month ahead

Valid from 27/08 to 23/09 2018
Valid from 27/08 to 23/09 2018

Issued: Friday 24th August 2018
Duty forecaster: Simon Keeling

Dry and warmer first half of the month, cooler and more unsettled later

After a mixed week it looks set to become drier with sunny spells and warm conditions as high pressure builds to the south. Tending to stay drier overall for the first stage of September. Later in the month the weather becomes more unsettled and cooler as the winds turn to the northwest.

*27/8/18 - 2/9/18*

Pressure starting to build. Thundery rain early in the week. Drier later with pressure building.

*3/9/18 - 9/9/18*

Dry, sunny spells and warm in south. Risk of rain northwest Scotland.

*10/9/18 - 16/9/18*

Dry start for most at first. Rain in Scotland, especially late in the week. Breezier north later. Warm for all at first then chillier north later.

*17/9/18 - 23/9/18*

The risk of more unsettled weather. Breezy for all. Periods of rain spread east. Most rain to north. Cooler.

**ends**

Simon Keeling

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/reports/month-ahead.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Autumn is in fall swing here already...been very cool..even cold over the weekend..temps close to or just below freezing at night and cold days barely getting into double digits...Trees have well and truly turned in the last week..yellow and oranges starting to appear widely.

• Like 3

Posted
50 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Autumn is in fall swing here already...been very cool..even cold over the weekend..temps close to or just below freezing at night and cold days barely getting into double digits...Trees have well and truly turned in the last week..yellow and oranges starting to appear widely.

seems early or is that normal for there? 

when would you expect your first snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
35 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

seems early or is that normal for there? 

when would you expect your first snow?

it's a little early..normally the first signs of trees starting to turn is about now..then takes about 10 days to truly turn..which is where we are now...first real snow will happen in October...can be as early as the first week or as late as the last.

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1