Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2018

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I would like very misty or very foggy mornings all through the autumn.

Storms in October.

Sunshine and showers through the early to mid autumn and in the late autumn I would like very crisp frosty mornings where the frost lasts until the early afternoon.

Edited by Katrine Basso
Needs completing
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
20 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Hopefully warm until next May when it switches back to hot.

That would bring about a cracking banana crop, next year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Katrine Basso said:

I would like very misty or very foggy mornings all through the autumn.

Storms in October.

Sunshine and showers through the early to mid autumn and in the late autumn I would like very crisp frosty mornings where the frost lasts until the early afternoon.

Sounds perfect! Autumn is my favourite season,the colours,the light,that cooler fresh clean air,love it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Personally I'd like an autumn like 2005 but with the Atlantic spell from mid October to mid November to be of a cooler and fresher variety:

September - warm and predominantly sunny first two thirds with thundery interludes, then cooler and more autumnal from the equinox

October - mellow first half with fresh nights and warm days; more active and stormy second half with the first gales

November - stormy first half, then cold and crisp second half with frost and fog and first snowfall towards the month's end

Failing that, I also enjoyed September 2006, particularly the thunderstorms later in the month and early October, just not the rest of that autumn/winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

Sounds perfect! Autumn is my favourite season,the colours,the light,that cooler fresh clean air,love it.

Just when my SAD kicks in, Mark!:D

Posted
30 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Just when my SAD kicks in, Mark!:D

Sorry!!! Autumn for me is the awakening after the misery of summer

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Hate dark autumn days.  My SAD starts and I just can't fathom how someone would want to wrap up outside instead of wearing shorts and T-shirts!

Posted

I'm quite odd I guess in a way because I like Summer the most - during Winter I absolutely yearn for the long warm days of Summer - but although I feel a twinge of sadness come on at the onset of Autumn, I still really enjoy it. The sights, the sounds and the smells are all super nostalgic for me. There are few things better than a warm autumn day with that fruitful mellowness you get.

I even enjoy Winter up until the turn of the year. January and February can get in the sea though. Worst two months of the year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
22 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I'm quite odd I guess in a way because I like Summer the most - during Winter I absolutely yearn for the long warm days of Summer - but although I feel a twinge of sadness come on at the onset of Autumn, I still really enjoy it. The sights, the sounds and the smells are all super nostalgic for me. There are few things better than a warm autumn day with that fruitful mellowness you get.

I even enjoy Winter up until the turn of the year. January and February can get in the sea though. Worst two months of the year.

you would love Autumn on the prairies...September is spectacular for warm days vivid colours and cool nights..my favourite time of year...its all down hill once you reach October..snow can start as early as the first week..then it s a long winter until spring arrives around the mid-end of April.

• Like 1

Posted

If we remain in a blocked regime for early autumn I'll be very happy - plenty of misty mornings and balmy evenings, and perhaps an early frost.

Realistically though, I think we're likely to get a couple of pretty fierce storms passing or crossing the UK with SSTs being higher than average.  Just hope we don't end up on the 'storm train' for the whole season.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Hoping we get a  really good autumn this year, whether stormy and wet or cold and dry, just not the boredom of the last few months please. As soon as August drifts off then i start looking forward to the best months of the year, hopefully cold all the way to next summer.

• Like 3

Posted
On 30/07/2018 at 13:30, gbrunner12 said:

Hate dark autumn days.  My SAD starts and I just can't fathom how someone would want to wrap up outside instead of wearing shorts and T-shirts!

I wear shorts and a tee shirt most of the winter too, especially around the house. Warm blood.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bogman said:

I wear shorts and a tee shirt most of the winter too, especially around the house. Warm blood.

I wear shorts and a tee shirt most of the Winter too,especially around the house. Hairy legs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The short days and lack of sun in general are the real killer in autumn and winter in the UK. September and October are okay but things go downhill very fast in November. If the sun came out more often then it wouldn't be too bad - we can literally go more than a week in winter without seeing the sun at all and that can have very damaging impacts on people's mental well-being. Standing on a railway platform in December, while it's drizzling and dark, with a dozen other miserable-looking people wishing they were somewhere else, isn't a great way to start the day. 

The only good thing I can say about winter in the UK is that if the skies at night are clear, with a cold air mass in place, you can get some unbelievably stunning night skies with so many stars visible to the naked eye. It's brilliant.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

The short days and lack of sun in general are the real killer in autumn and winter in the UK. September and October are okay but things go downhill very fast in November. If the sun came out more often then it wouldn't be too bad - we can literally go more than a week in winter without seeing the sun at all and that can have very damaging impacts on people's mental well-being.

I agree,very damaging. Just like long day light hours and sun can have in the Summer for some.

Posted
2 hours ago, Bogman said:

I start wearing jumpers once the temps drop below 16c outside, and a light jacket is on hand below 20 degrees. 

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

The short days and lack of sun in general are the real killer in autumn and winter in the UK. September and October are okay but things go downhill very fast in November. If the sun came out more often then it wouldn't be too bad - we can literally go more than a week in winter without seeing the sun at all and that can have very damaging impacts on people's mental well-being. Standing on a railway platform in December, while it's drizzling and dark, with a dozen other miserable-looking people wishing they were somewhere else, isn't a great way to start the day. 

The only good thing I can say about winter in the UK is that if the skies at night are clear, with a cold air mass in place, you can get some unbelievably stunning night skies with so many stars visible to the naked eye. It's brilliant.

That’s why you need to enjoy the reminder of the summer. The dull mornings don’t really kick in until mid to late September. That’s when it starts to become depressing and the real darkness arrives in late October. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I start wearing jumpers once the temps drop below 16c outside, and a light jacket is on hand below 20 degrees. 

Everybody is different,that's what makes each of use unique. I've not owned a jumper since school days 40 years ago,never needed to wear one. But conversely i haven't had a foreign holiday,ie in the sun for nearly as long,we are all different. Autumn for me  i greet and look forward to like i'm sure you do to Spring,it's just our individual make up,how we are wired. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

That’s why you need to enjoy the reminder of the summer. The dull mornings don’t really kick in until mid to late September. That’s when it starts to become depressing and the real darkness arrives in late October. 

dull mornings here often in May/June from north sea mist

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Everybody is different,that's what makes each of use unique. I've not owned a jumper since school days 40 years ago,never needed to wear one. But conversely i haven't had a foreign holiday,ie in the sun for nearly as long,we are all different. Autumn for me  i greet and look forward to like i'm sure you do to Spring,it's just our individual make up,how we are wired. 

Yeah, each to they’re own. I tend to feel better once it’s march 1st, even if it’s still cold. And I tend to feel a bit down once we reach October 31st, because the darker days are coming. 

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

dull mornings here often in May/June from north sea mist

Well it depends where you are. But, I’m talking about how it’s more depressing in september, because we are heading towards winter by that stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Well it depends where you are. But, I’m talking about how it’s more depressing in september, because we are heading towards winter by that stage.

I still believe September is a summer month.  Autumn only really begins shortly after the equinox when days are shorter than nights (despite this October can be very warm and pleasant, take 2011 as an example)

• Like 1