Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2018

Posted

As we close in on mid-summer, my thoughts are now turning towards my personal favourite time of year... Autumn/Winter.

What are your thoughts and hopes for the next season? Is this magnificent summer we've had, going to keep up well into Autumn? Or are we going to see the pattern change to a more Autumnal setup? Is 2018 going to keep throwing in extreme periods of weather for us to enjoy? Or are we going to settle into a more standard period for the UK?

I look forward to all your thoughts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Cold, frosty and snowy hopefully all the way through autumn and winter.....i can dream lol.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As the most reasonable cool one of the last decade i will go for September 2012 to be repeated. September's are often boring but my greatest wish is to see maxima head back under 20C. 

As a lovely month which produced some of the best leaves i have ever seen i shall go for an October 2016 repeat. Dry, Sunny and with a few chilly nights thrown in. 

For November my undying love goes to November 2005 for a repeat. Bar the first third which was awful, it became an utterly lovely, sunny and very cold month (third coldest second half this side of WW2). 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

way too early, not even finished Wimbledon yet

never too early to start hoping for cool/colder weather, never. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hopefully (as there's no useful data either way) I'd like to see a continuation - should there be anything to continue - of warm, thundery conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

way too early, not even finished Wimbledon yet

The thread was earlier last year. 

16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Hopefully (as there's no useful data either way) I'd like to see a continuation - should there be anything to continue - of warm, thundery conditions.

Would gladly take that, if the second half of Autumn, from Halloween to Guy Fawks night, is cold and crisp. My favourite memories of Autumn as a child was always the cold crisp November 5' with a sparkler in one hand and a Candy Apple in the other!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Autumn is fall here....which is apt....as temps fall of a cliff once Sept finishes...having siad that the first 2/3 weeks of Sept here are delicious

• Like 2

Posted

With the way this spring and summer have given so far which have been very different to anything I`ve seen before.

Expect a weird autumn.

Posted

September: To begin rather unsettled and cool before a two week warm and sunny spell before a cool and sunny last week.

October: Wet, windy, cloudy and mild for the majority of the month, with a cold and sunny end.

November: Cold start before becoming mild and unsettled and a very cold last week with some very severe frosts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A very timely thread given the touted arrival of autumn next week in certain threads on this forum...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

YAY!! The autumn thread!! :yahoo:
I always look forward to this time of year, as the heat of summer slowly fades, and the evenings start to cool and turn more misty... And then as time moves on we slowly see those misty mornings and evening slowly turn into our first fog day... The sun being lower in the sky giving us that wonderful light that only September and October can bring, plus that gentle autumn breeze through the trees which will slowly turn into our first autumn gale. Plus the wonderful colours on the trees. 

Oh I'm getting all misty and dewy eyed just thinking about it. :rolleyes:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Thoughts: milder and much wetter than average throughout Sept, Oct and into Nov, whereupon it will switch later on that month to much colder conditions. 

Hopes: a continuation of predominantly settled weather into Nov, then the switch to cold, ushering in the coldest winter for decades (no suspots, etc). 

I can dream! 

• Like 1

Posted

Autumn's all around us already if you know where to look.

Lords & Ladies, blackberries. walnuts. elderberry, sloes, acorns, hawthorn. hazel nuts. sycamore 'helicopters' and conkers - all coming well..

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0211 (1).JPG

IMG_0212 (1).JPG

IMG_0214 (1).JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216 (1).JPG

IMG_0218 (1).JPG

IMG_0219 (1).JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221 (1).JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Given the extended dry spell and sustained warmth since May, it already feels like late August.. alas we are only in mid-July. If we continue to see little rain over the coming weeks and further heat, then expect quite a poor showing autumn colour wise, the trees will be withered and brown by September and will probably die off very quickly. Already the Rowan Tree outside my flat has yellow leaves, indeed everything is browning and crisping..

Would like an autumn like 2012, the less proper Autumn in my book, a chilly frosty one - that will do. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

will be amazed it it is not well above average precipitation wise ..

Posted

The cooler the better! I am not bothered about precipitation either way.

I have noticed the last few nights how much darker the sky is, unlike a few weeks ago when the northern side of the horizon was bright through the night.

Also, the nocticulent cloud season is coming to an end, always a sign for me that the worst of the summer is behind us.

• Like 3

Posted

I don’t start to think about autumn or end of summer until about mid August, as this is when it becomes more noticeable that daylight hours are decreasing. It starts getting dark around 8.30 then, and that’s a signal for me.

Once September begins, I think that’s a realistic time to start thinking about autumn and winter.

I think summer will continue until late August, or early September. A cool down will happen after that with some chilly days, before turning warm again. The last warm spell will occur between the 20th to 25th of September. After that it will become chilly and nights will become cold.

Just my predictions lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Looking forward to it getting dark before 9pm thats just about right to me, definitely looking forward to some cooler weather this hot spell has gone on to long for me sorry 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, karyo said:

The cooler the better! I am not bothered about precipitation either way.

I have noticed the last few nights how much darker the sky is, unlike a few weeks ago when the northern side of the horizon was bright through the night.

Also, the nocticulent cloud season is coming to an end, always a sign for me that the worst of the summer is behind us.

'The worst of summer' - you're not living in Greece anymore karyo, there is no 'worst' of summer here. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

'The worst of summer' - you're not living in Greece anymore karyo, there is no 'worst' of summer here. 

Months of drought, hosepipe ban for northwest England issued today and fires on the hills. It sounds and feels pretty bad to me.

By the way, mainland Greece has so far had a wetter summer than here.

Edited by karyo
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, karyo said:

Months of drought, hosepipe ban for northwest England issued today and fires on the hills. It sounds and feels pretty bad to me.

By the way, mainland Greece has so far had a wetter summer than here.

Bad for us, perhaps, but in absolute terms it is really pretty benign - and coming from someone who ought to be used to much hotter summers than anything the UK can produce.