Rainfall: 7mm (13%)

Sunshine: 170 hours (152%)

April 2012: 

Mean maximum: 10.2.C (-2.0.C)

Mean minimum: 2.3.C (-1.2.C)

Mean: 6.3.C (-1.6.C)

Rainfall: 97mm (211%)

Sunshine: 131 hours (90%)

Anyone remember this interesting spell of weather with the heatwave in March which had 4 days above 20.C, reaching to just under 22.C on the 27th before the very cold and wet April, there was a snow depth of 11cm in my area on the 3rd with a maximum of only 2.3.C and a significant wind chill, the warmest day of April that year was also just above 15.C, share your experiences.

Edited by Harry233

Posted

Yes quite a contrast and a shock to the system april gave after that very warm dry march.

Had somebody staying here during that time between the very warm dry last week of march to the then 9 inches of snow and blizzards on april 4th,they were shocked.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
On 08/07/2018 at 15:08, Snowyowl9 said:

Yes quite a contrast and a shock to the system april gave after that very warm dry march.

Had somebody staying here during that time between the very warm dry last week of march to the then 9 inches of snow and blizzards on april 4th,they were shocked.

Always a reminder that patterns can flip and lock in very quickly. April-December 2012 was near consistently cool and wet. 

Posted
57 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Always a reminder that patterns can flip and lock in very quickly. April-December 2012 was near consistently cool and wet. 

Yeah Autumn 2012 itself was the coolest since 1993 although I remember Autumn 2012 being quite dry especially in September, December was exceptionally wet in the week before Christmas but very dry in the first half 

Posted

If the current SST's remain then i expect we'll see a very wet Autumn. Prime thermal gradiant. 

Posted
16 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

If the current SST's remain then i expect we'll see a very wet Autumn. Prime thermal gradiant. 

I can see autumn being very wet this year as well, we’ve not had a wet autumn for a long time, the last autumn that was slightly wetter than average was 2011 with autumn 2006 being the last wet autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

September 2012 holds the record for my wettest recorded day, on the 24th. The dry first ten days were more than outweighed by the wet second half.

Re Spring though, I actually found April more interesting than March. Both were extremes in their own right but March saw a lot of greyness longer during the day in the first half of the month. It was after mid month that there was a string of sunny warm days, especially in the final week.

April then contained abundant sunshine and shower days with photogenic skies, hail and thunder that continued into May. 

May 2012 is a month I wouldn't mind repeating if only the easterly pattern late on in the month continued like this year into the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I remember March 2012 comprising warm, sunny, hazy days with temperatures hitting the high teens/low twenties in the afternoons while keeping cool in the mornings: temperatures most commonly not far above freezing.

April 2012 featured no snow for my then location (Chelmsford) but was cool and wet. I seem to remember most of the rain coming from your classic convective April showers, only they were far more frequent than one would normally expect. The local river burst its banks that month.

The period April-May 2012 is perhaps one of my favourite periods of weather. Consistently convective, with beautiful cloudscapes, and frequent rain and hail showers one minute before bright sunshine the next. Not unusual weather for Spring, but it seemed to go on for weeks and weeks without a break! The convective theme gave way in the final third of May where we had an exceptional heat wave for the time of year.

Edited by Relativistic

• 2 years later...
Posted

Bumping this thread because the sunny weather today reminds me of March 2012 except much cooler. Coming up to nine years since this! I remember sunbathing in the last week of that month and it was probably the earliest tan I’ve ever had. One week later however we had a couple of inches of snow which felt like a total shock to the system. 

April was nearly continuously wet and cold from prolonged showery days. After having drought warnings they suddenly turned to flood warnings within a couple of weeks. As others have said a really interesting spell of weather especially as the rain never really abated for the rest of the year. 

Posted

Here this was 24th March at about 17C
These are wild ones rarely fully open before April here.
spacer.png

Then this was 5th April
spacer.png

The worst thing was a great deal of damage to power and phone cables due to this effect. (4th)
Some places were not reconnected for about two weeks but they did set up temporary emergency generators.
spacer.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Yes I remember this period of weather and is easily the best March weather of my lifetime.  Temperatures reached just into the 20s on multiple days and after this it didn't get this high again until late May.

Even more remarkable I feel is the contrast between this period in March 2012 and the one the following year.  The same weekend (23/24th) barely got above zero and parts of the country had an absolute pasting of snow.

How different from this months pretty boring weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I can see this year's summer being a poor one, not quite as bad as 2012 but I think we are due a below average one now.

As for 2012, from April onwards with the exception of the warm spell in late May and again in late July, the weather was predominantly horrendous. I can remember watching the London Olympics and athletes kept getting caught in the rain. August was the best month that summer. Doesn't really say much but at least it was useable.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

• 1 month later...
Posted
On 20/03/2021 at 05:03, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I can see this year's summer being a poor one, not quite as bad as 2012 but I think we are due a below average one now.

As for 2012, from April onwards with the exception of the warm spell in late May and again in late July, the weather was predominantly horrendous. I can remember watching the London Olympics and athletes kept getting caught in the rain. August was the best month that summer. Doesn't really say much but at least it was useable.

Was summer 2020 not pretty poor? Yes there was quite a lot of hot days but they seemed very localised. Certainly in Scotland where I am it was a poor summer. There was only a few brief spells of good weather from what I can remember, a few days at the start and end of June. A couple of days in mid July and the first week of August. The rest of the summer was pretty much always cool and wet. Maybe I found it especially bad after such a wonderful spring but I would rate summer 2020 almost as bad as 2012.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
On 23/04/2021 at 15:40, Harry233 said:

Was summer 2020 not pretty poor? Yes there was quite a lot of hot days but they seemed very localised. Certainly in Scotland where I am it was a poor summer. There was only a few brief spells of good weather from what I can remember, a few days at the start and end of June. A couple of days in mid July and the first week of August. The rest of the summer was pretty much always cool and wet. Maybe I found it especially bad after such a wonderful spring but I would rate summer 2020 almost as bad as 2012.

We had it significantly worse than England. I personally hate 2020 more than 2012 because the former was quite significantly duller than the latter whilst not being as wet as 2012. Both were fairly cooler than average but not exceptionally so. August 2012 was enjoyable to an extent at least too, all of the 2020 months were absolute rubbish regardless of the spring before it. Got no benefit from the August 2020 heatwave, no storms and no very warm days. 

My percentage of average sunshine for spring/summer in 2020 was 101%, almost bang on average. The record sunny spring very very slightly outdone the record dull summer in the stats but it's basically average anyway almost as if there is some kind of quota of fine weather. 

It can be much worse for large parts of the UK but from a personal and local view here in Dublin, it can only get better than 2020.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I remember moving house at the end of March 2012 and it was a lovely sunny period for it. 

April was much much colder and set the pattern for the Summer of 2012 which was dreadful. Funny enough I only lived in that house for just over 12 months, moving in the May 2013 following the collapse of my Civil Partnership, so personal memories of 2012/2013 aren't good to put it mildly!

Posted

April 2012 marked a return to the colder pattern that had set in since Summer 2008. After a warmer 12 months or so generally, exception summer 2011, the next 15 months produced a generally colder period, with the March 2013 in the mix, July 2013 then marked an abrupt change to a much warmer period that by and large has held away ever since, bar a few blips such as winter 2017-18, though are we seeing signs of a switch to a cooler period again now, given we've had quite a bit of colder than average conditions since December..