Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August 2004 thunderstorms and torrential rain.

Harry233

Posted

Anyone have any memories from this interesting month.

Mean maximum: 20.7.C (+1.1.C)

Mean Minimum: 13.0.C (+2.4.C)

Mean: 16.9.C (+1.8.C)

Rainfall: 204mm (287%)

Sunshine: 152 hours (92%)

A very interesting summer month with some fantastic rainfall totals and temperatures. Most notable for 120mm of rain falling between the 8th-12th a 24 hour mean temperature of 22.9.C and my warmest recorded minimum of 19.3.C on the 7th. Also some fantastic thunder and lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Although I was away at the start of August 2004, I remember coming from holiday on the first weekend and noting how humid it felt. There were then some great thunderstorms here on the 12th, 16th and 18th. There had already been some on the 03rd. Up until at least the final third of the month it really felt quite tropical.

The best storm had to be the 16th, came up from the southwest and was booming away long before it was overhead. This was from the same line of storms that gave Boscastle its soaking. 

Although a very interesting month, not one I'd really want to repeat in a hurry. Too much rain and cloud around after the hot spell in the first ten days, despite respectable temperatures for the most part.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I remember it well as my sister got married on the 14th. Most of the month had been a washout and she was really worried her wedding day would be the same. We had a big family BBQ planned the week before the wedding and the weather was beautiful that afternoon after heavy rains in the morning. Forecast was for heavy rain on the wedding day. The days leading up to it were stormy and wet. We all woke up on the day to beautiful clear skies and warmth which stayed all day long.

The next day we were flying out on holiday from Gatwick and the weather was very bad. Lots of aircraft having to do go arounds. As we were walking to the gate with torrential rain outside, a massive leak was coming through the ceiling flooding the gate next door.

Whilst we were away the floods happened in the West country.

On the Important days we were blessed with good weather.