Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will we ever reach 40c in the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I think that 40C is very possible, especially given the high temperatures in neighbouring countries during recent summers when we received the bad end of their weather. I think I read that the average yearly maximum temperature recorded in the UK is about 32C, which seems pretty consistent for here, we have achieved 30C every year here since I was born, and even in the poor summers after 2006 we have recorded a few 33C and many 32C. These all came from plume events that lasted from a few days to 2 weeks after poor weather prior to that, so given better conditions and more heat, high 30s and even 40 should be achievable again 

Posted

The hottest air being confined to the southeast is a recent phenomenon that has been particularly noticeable since the 2007 summer change; a look at the daily max/min records shows a number of summer records being set elsewhere in the 20th century, some even in Scotland. 25C was common, 30C by no means unusual here in the NW Midlands up to 2006. The Midlands' being further from the sea should surely offset the degree or two of latitude disadvantage: look at Spain where Madrid is hotter than the south coast despite being further north and much higher.

40C was last reached in Britain- my guess is during the 13th or early 14th century.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I think it's more how far the airmass gets northwards and westwards in the UK. I'm sure if the heat progresses inland more, then inland areas will indeed register higher temperatures than the southeast corner and south coast where there is more of a cooling influence from the sea. It's similar in winter with winds from the east - I consistently record lower temperatures here in Somerset than Surrey when there's a cold spell as the air off the North Sea is nothing as cold as when it has travelled half way across the country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Of course we could hit 40c if we can hit just over 38c 40c is more than possible if the conditions were right we'd have a chance in this spell if the winds were coming up directly from the south even with winds from the east we are going to hit over 30c at some stage so who knows how high we could get if these winds were southerlies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The hottest air being confined to the southeast is a recent phenomenon that has been particularly noticeable since the 2007 summer change; a look at the daily max/min records shows a number of summer records being set elsewhere in the 20th century, some even in Scotland. 25C was common, 30C by no means unusual here in the NW Midlands up to 2006. The Midlands' being further from the sea should surely offset the degree or two of latitude disadvantage: look at Spain where Madrid is hotter than the south coast despite being further north and much higher.

40C was last reached in Britain- my guess is during the 13th or early 14th century.

May have been reached in 2003, but no official stations recorded such a value so it does not count.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Can't see the attraction of extreme heat due to the deaths associated with such conditions. It's like craving -30 during winter, our whole infrastructure cannot cope with extremes of weather.

Posted

Thankfully it very seldom happens..these extremes - current temps are slightly above but certainly not classed as extreme? How do people cope elsewhere..including Siberia or Sevillle? Take your pick Posted Image Summer or Winter.

People are complaining about the heat a lot here in my area - the average max for July here is 23C and we are only about 6C above that! It's not that extreme at all really.

Places like Seville have much drier heat, so although it is still very hot, it would not feel as bad as you would imagine. In the sun it is absolutely awful, having been there in mid July before with temps of 43C but places in Spain tend to shut in summer and move to the coasts. 

Posted

we are not used to these conditions even though technically it is not that hot, it was only 26c here today but i could only stay in the garden for about 45 minutes, a few years ago 26c was common here and 26c would not feel hot at all to me, but people will get used to these temps if this lasts for a while

if we did get to 40c i would probably die

Posted

Thankfully it very seldom happens..these extremes - current temps are slightly above but certainly not classed as extreme? How do people cope elsewhere..including Siberia or Sevillle? Take your pick Posted Image Summer or Winter.

Your right current temps are what we should be seeing in Summer and very nice they are indeed, in countries where extremes are common well for a start the housing/offices are built to withstand these conditions unlike the vast majority here in the UK. Mind you I could put up with temps in the 40s if humidity levels were quite low, whenever I spend time in the tropics it's the humidity which I find unbearable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

40C is alot more bearable than -20C IMO, so I choose Seville.

Posted

40C is alot more bearable than -20C IMO, so I choose Seville.

Not if you suffer from respiratory problems, remember far more deaths occur in extreme heat than cold.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Not if you suffer from respiratory problems, remember far more deaths occur in extreme heat than cold.

Indeed, my mother suffers greatly in temps that are high.

Posted

Another factor that may help just maybe a degree is if in a couple decades time the country is alot more urban, as temps are usually hotter in big citys than rural areas, if the citys became denser then could this possibly have an effect if all other factors fall into place

Posted

no thanks 30c is more than enough, though i haven't seen 30c yet this summer, maybe today though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

With 38oC a POSSIBLE high next week at Heathrow Ariport I thought this would be interesting to look at!

If you're going by the BBC website that is never accurate past four-five days. 

Posted

If you're going by the BBC website that is never accurate past four-five days. 

Yeah it was the BBC and it has dropped now to around the mid 30's as the high range and I know it often changes but obviously there are indications that it could all just come together and we could atleast be touching record breaking July temperatures next week! The weather outlook saying that if we get a break down next week then 34oC could be reached, that is only a couple of degrees below the record!

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Another factor that may help just maybe a degree is if in a couple decades time the country is alot more urban, as temps are usually hotter in big citys than rural areas, if the citys became denser then could this possibly have an effect if all other factors fall into place

That was the problem for NYC in recent years.

Would not want to see 40oC here, this last week has reminded me why I do not like it too hot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Yeah it was the BBC and it has dropped now to around the mid 30's as the high range and I know it often changes but obviously there are indications that it could all just come together and we could atleast be touching record breaking July temperatures next week! The weather outlook saying that if we get a break down next week then 34oC could be reached, that is only a couple of degrees below the record!

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

It's almost impossible to accurately judge that far ahead, you only need the jet stream to come down south or some cold air coming in and it will all change. 

Me personally I think this will last into August, probably the first week. Again that's a complete guess but I think it has a good chance as the weather's been so stable lately. We have a lot of warm air from the south and the jet streams in the right place. It would take a lot to break it down in the near future. 

This could turn into a classic Summer and may last into September, it's certainly possible. 

BBC always well exaggerates the temps as soon as you go beyond the four days. 

I think next week will be the peak of our temps. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 1

Posted

It's almost impossible to accurately judge that far ahead, you only need the jet stream to come down south or some cold air coming in and it will all change. 

Me personally I think this will last into August, probably the first week. Again that's a complete guess but I think it has a good chance as the weather's been so stable lately. We have a lot of warm air from the south and the jet streams in the right place. It would take a lot to break it down in the near future. 

This could turn into a classic Summer and may last into September, it's certainly possible. 

BBC always well exaggerates the temps as soon as you go beyond the four days. 

I think next week will be the peak of our temps. 

Also I remember in 2006 despite having a poor August we then had a warm September and October - this year could be similar and allow us to have a long extended summer. Certainly deserved after the lack of warmth in Spring!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Going by ECM and GEM tonight 40c may well be under a real threat next week

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some epic charts tonight with-out doubt its only a 1 day wonder for now but temperatures would shoot up with those sort of uppers

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Going by ECM and GEM tonight 40c may well be under a real threat next week

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some epic charts tonight with-out doubt

Not convinced, looks too short lived for ECM. If it were to last at least 48 hours and brilliant sunshine, possibly but I feel to get that sort of temperature, it needs a build up.