Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will we ever reach 40c in the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The closest we ever got was 38.5C In Faversham, Kent, in 2003.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Don't see why not it would take an exceptional heatwave but as they say you can never say never

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Possible but extremely unlikely. Everything would have to be perfect and France & even more so Spain would be on fire!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Possible but extremely unlikely. Everything would have to be perfect and France & would be on fire!

Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I hope not.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I hope not.

I would in all honesty agree with that, our extreme heat normally comes with bad ass humidity...

...no ta!

Of course we will at some point in the UK's history, you didn't put a timeline, 40C has unofficially been recorded before in the 19th century but before reliable screening so not recognised, i'm sure it has before and it will again, just knowing when is the problem.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

It would have to be as a result of extreme heat over Europe and a deep sourced southerly lasting for several days allowing the heat to build.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

To get 40C is possible but you would need to lay the groundwork and have several things happen to gleam that out of the atmosphere...

1) Soil moisture over the UK and Europe - Most people don't look at this but if your heat is coming from a drenched continent it's not going to be as warm as it could be - Because of this you will need a large part of the March-June period to be very dry over the UK and central/western Europe

2) Preceding few weeks - In order to get the required heat in the preceding say month you need several plumes so that you get a good pool of 15C uppers and warm temperatures over central Europe in the same way you want a pool of cold over Scandinavia before the easterly develops in winter.

3) Perfect Synoptic and lasting several days - As you see from the chart below you have the shortest sea track from a hot continent with high thickness values and high pressure, the only way to improve that chart is for a more developed weakness north of the Azores to act as a greater heat pump from the south...

Posted Image

Many people will prefer 2003 for taking the record however this got 37.9C in cooler uppers and further north in general (2003 did not beat 1990 in Leeds).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

It would have to be as a result of extreme heat over Europe and a deep sourced southerly lasting for several days allowing the heat to build.

Ah, a 'canicule' as they call it in France - I dare say that 40C has been achieved in the past and it will do so again but as to whether I see it will be a different matter - at the same time we now have an air to air heat pump which doubles as air con :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I hope not.

And I second that! I'd much rather it reached -40c.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

come back in a a couple of billion years time and the average daytime temperature in the UK will be a toasty 400C never mind 40C!! Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

come back in a a couple of billion years time and the average daytime temperature in the UK will be a toasty 400C never mind 40C!! Posted ImagePosted Image

Damn that global warming!

Shocker! complete..shocker...i do feel for our utility companies, imagine their dwindling profits! perhaps we should have a whip round? honest..

40C hmmm, would need a breeze direct from the Sahara desert, lay some massive concrete blocks across the width of the channel..then who knows lol.

Edited by triple_x1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it probably will at some stage.  At a simplistic level, if, by the end of the 21st century, mean global and regional temperatures are about 2C above 2003 levels (which seems very plausible to me, if anything it is towards the conservative side of the IPCC's estimate range) then if the synoptics of 1st-10th August 2003 were to be repeated we would probably get above 40C. 

However it may well not happen within most of our lifetimes.

• Like 2

Posted

No reason why it couldn't happen in the next major west European heatwave event? Up until 2009 in Tasmania the highest temperature on this island was 40.8C at 2 localities in 100 or so years of observations ...but in that year (2009) there were 2 days in which another half a dozen stations broke that particular record, for a new island high of 42.2C top! An astonishing 1.4C rise from record to record! Then this year, Hobart came close to eclipsing that with 41.8C.  I think it just goes to show that you never never know.    

Edited by Styx
  • Like 2

Posted

I suppose it may well have been exceeded during the medieval warm period? As said though, a lot of things would have to fall into place & I'm pretty sure I wouldn't welcome it anymore than I'd welcome -40c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i wonder if that August 2003 or 1990 set up had happened in the first two weeks of July how close to 40c it would have got bearing in mind the days are slightly longer than in August

Posted

I strongly suspect that had a similar set-up developed during the earl August period of 2006 we'd have got that 40C, as we had by that time a nice warm channel and soil temps would probably be about as high as your likely going to get in this country with current conditions.

Posted

i wonder if that August 2003 or 1990 set up had happened in the first two weeks of July how close to 40c it would have got bearing in mind the days are slightly longer than in August

I strongly suspect that had a similar set-up developed during the earl August period of 2006 we'd have got that 40C, as we had by that time a nice warm channel and soil temps would probably be about as high as your likely going to get in this country with current conditions.

Surely for this reason the highest possible temperatures would be more likely to come in early August rather than late July. There being a sweet spot between the warming of the soil and the shortening of the days and I thought I had read the optimum date was therefore August the 12th. 

Edited by GRHinPorts